What's new

Connection issues (or wifi issues?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i5Js

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

Sorry if this thread is not well located.

I have a aimesh configuration with one AX11000 as main router and RT-AC-5300 as node. Since some months ago, I'm suffering connections issues. The wifi connections starts to fail, and the connection to the internet doesn't work at all. Some times I can access to the web ui, and I see the ip from my provider and there are no error logs. I have tried to restart some services like DNS, DHCP, WIFI and even WAN, but it doesn't work. I can only restart the router and everything starts to work again.

I have reset both units, factory reset, 30 30 30... I never restore the settings, just the dhcp settings, and via cli (nvram set...) I have searched a lot in google, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm not using plugins but scmerlin and domain_vpn_routing.

I'm running the latest merlin in the AX11000 and the latest stock in the RT-AC5300. The connection between them is with cable.

Could you pleas give me any idea to troubleshoot? I can share all the settings if it's needed.

Many thanks in advanced for your tips and help.

Regards

It has happened again, when I have disabled, (for testing) WPS... I don't what o where check o look for...

Last edited:
Have you tried rolling back the firmware to when it was last working to see if it's the firmware itself that is causing the issue?

I could tell you war stories that would make grown men weep regarding the AC86U firmware suffering from a total lack of rudimentary QC at Asus back in the days....

Since then I have learned to be wary of any new firmware updates from the company. Read what testers' experiences are before jumping on a new version.

Another standard staple is to ask if you've remembered to lock the 2.4Ghz bandwith at 20Mhz, no the standard 20/40 Auto, as it can cause all sorts of disconnection issues.

Thanks both for your answers.

@J23 You’re right, and I know, but… I was running out of ideas.

@heywire bufff, I don’t know which was, or I can’t remember… I think it was before 388xxx, but I’m not sure. Right now it‘s in auto. Should I change to 20?

Again, thanks for your help.

bufff, I don’t know which was, or I can’t remember… I think it was before 388xxx, but I’m not sure. Right now it‘s in auto. Should I change to 20?

Again, thanks for your help.
First, try and WPS reset your node and then connect it to Aimesh again. Preferably also the main router (but if it's too much hassle because of physical location etc, I'd try switching the firmware first)
If no improvement, try and go back a few versions on the Aimesh node.
If this still doesn't solve it, try and go back a few versions (or the last working) on the Main router firmware.

Setting 2.4 ghz bandwidth to 20mhz is recommended. 40mhz is notorious for causing a lot of client disconnection issues. If you live in a roural area and don't have any close neighbours, maybe you could get it to work ok, as the problem is that 40mhz takes up so much of the available channels that neighbouring routers tend to fight over it. I've never tested in such environments, but I have tested 40mhz in populated areas and it has caused lots of trouble.

It could be due to Asus piss poor firmware as well, but anyway; you should set it to 20mhz at least temporarily when you are experiencing instability in order to rule it out as a culprint.

Hello all,

Sorry if this thread is not well located.

I have a aimesh configuration with one AX11000 as main router and RT-AC-5300 as node. Since some months ago, I'm suffering connections issues. The wifi connections starts to fail, and the connection to the internet doesn't work at all. Some times I can access to the web ui, and I see the ip from my provider and there are no error logs. I have tried to restart some services like DNS, DHCP, WIFI and even WAN, but it doesn't work. I can only restart the router and everything starts to work again.

I have reset both units, factory reset, 30 30 30... I never restore the settings, just the dhcp settings, and via cli (nvram set...) I have searched a lot in google, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm not using plugins but scmerlin and domain_vpn_routing.

I'm running the latest merlin in the AX11000 and the latest stock in the RT-AC5300. The connection between them is with cable.

Could you pleas give me any idea to troubleshoot? I can share all the settings if it's needed.

Many thanks in advanced for your tips and help.

Regards

When it does it again you need to try a few things. Test wired from the node and router. Test wireless from the node and router. See which ones do/don't work. If none work, try unplugging the node and see if wired or wireless now work fine from the main router.

First, try and WPS reset your node and then connect it to Aimesh again. Preferably also the main router (but if it's too much hassle because of physical location etc, I'd try switching the firmware first)
If no improvement, try and go back a few versions on the Aimesh node.
If this still doesn't solve it, try and go back a few versions (or the last working) on the Main router firmware.

Setting 2.4 ghz bandwidth to 20mhz is recommended. 40mhz is notorious for causing a lot of client disconnection issues. If you live in a roural area and don't have any close neighbours, maybe you could get it to work ok, as the problem is that 40mhz takes up so much of the available channels that neighbouring routers tend to fight over it. I've never tested in such environments, but I have tested 40mhz in populated areas and it has caused lots of trouble.

It could be due to Asus piss poor firmware as well, but anyway; you should set it to 20mhz at least temporarily when you are experiencing instability in order to rule it out as a culprint.
Many thanks @heywire I will change to 20mhz and see. About WPS, reset, I did too, but from now I didn’t go back to older versions.

When it does it again you need to try a few things. Test wired from the node and router. Test wireless from the node and router. See which ones do/don't work. If none work, try unplugging the node and see if wired or wireless now work fine from the main router.
Hi, thanks @drinkingbird I remember once, I was watching Netflix in the AppleTV, it’s wired, and I lost everything. What I see in the Apple devices is they even can’t ping to the routers. Yesterday, with a PC and Firefox, I can access to the main router and check everything, but no internet connection. I will keep in mind all your advises and I will update this thread.

Thanks!!

It sounds like you have a radio failing on one of your routers. Try disconnecting the node and see if the problem goes away. If not, then try using the node as your router and keep the current router off line. Replace the one that is causing the problem.

Good luck

Hi

After some weeks it happened again, two times in a row. I have disconnected one node but it didn’t work. I connected the cable, and the laptop got ip, but I was unable to access to the internet either. Perhaps it’s time to to change the router.

Thanks,

It sounds like you have a WAN connectivity issue. Take a look at the bottom of the WAN page. You will find a setting for DHCP query frequency. There are three settings: Normal Mode, Aggressive Mode, and Continuous Mode. Try changing this to one of the other settings from what you have. Try Aggressive Mode last. On Verizon FIOS, Continuous Mode seems best to avoid problems of the type you have.

What mode are you curranty configured for? Who is your ISP? What mode are you trying next?

Good luck

Hey @Morris many thanks for your answer. I live in The Netherlands, and my ISP is Ziggo. By default I have set as aggressive, so I will change to Normal Mode and let’s see.

I will keep this updated.

Thanks

Normal mode doesn’t work with my provider. I have changed to continuous mode, and I got an IP.

Let’s see.

Normal mode doesn’t work with my provider. I have changed to continuous mode, and I got an IP.

Let’s see.

That only relates to getting an IP on the WAN from your ISP. The LAN DHCP failing should not be related. Honestly it sounds like your router is on its way out.

Careful with continuous mode, could get you blocked by your ISP in some cases. Normal mode should work fine for any ISP to *GET* and IP. Those modes only change how often you renew your IP lease. And again, it does not impact your LAN DHCP and IPs at all.

It sounds like you have a WAN connectivity issue. Take a look at the bottom of the WAN page. You will find a setting for DHCP query frequency. There are three settings: Normal Mode, Aggressive Mode, and Continuous Mode. Try changing this to one of the other settings from what you have. Try Aggressive Mode last. On Verizon FIOS, Continuous Mode seems best to avoid problems of the type you have.

What mode are you curranty configured for? Who is your ISP? What mode are you trying next?

Good luck

I'm set to normal mode on FIOS and it works fine. OP is having issues getting LAN IPs though, not WAN, so that setting should not impact anything.

FIOS? Sorry I don’t understand. When I set in Normal, the router could not get IP from ISP, even after a reboot. Perhaps I need to reboot the cable-modem from my ISP too?

Thanks for your help @drinkingbird

I think it’s more related to wifi, than WAN. This morning, when it failed, I have connected the laptop with a cable and It got an ip. With Firefox, I could access to the web ui, but with safari I couldn’t. To me everything is very wired.

I think it’s more related to wifi, than WAN. This morning, when it failed, I have connected the laptop with a cable and It got an ip. With Firefox, I could access to the web ui, but with safari I couldn’t. To me everything is very wired.

The IP your laptop gets has nothing to do with the WAN DHCP setting or IP. It honestly sounds like your router is failing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!