What's new

330/110 Fiber - Best and easiest QoS settings to manage bufferbloat?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@zakazak - just to test I re-installed FlexQos via amtm menu item 3 and used same settings I had used moons ago before switching to Cake.
The Tools Tab page clearly showed for HW Acceleration that both Runner and Flow cache were enabled.

However - I got LOTS of these error message lines - suggesting that Flow Cache was buggy [to put it mildly] ..
Code:
kernel: [0;33;41mFCACHEfc_vblog_list_add ERROR: Duplicate blog: list blog<0xffffffc02f8b24c0> JOIN blog<0xffffffc02f8b1300>[0m
The log file was being filled with these "Duplicate blog" lines.

What is more curious is that even after uninstalling FlexQos and reverting to Cake - the above Flow Cache errors continued to show up - even after reboots and power off and power on.

The only way to get back to a clean install for me was to factory reset [and WPS button reset] - then load my Config Settings from saved backup before my games with FlexQos started - as well as reformat JFFS partition and restore my JFFS backup taken before FlexQos install.

Only after all that am I back to clean logs :D. You should perhaps check your logs for FCACHE Error entries?
If you get these running Cake - then there may be some carry over from the FlexQos install/uninstall :(
The solution is as above provided you made a Config settings and JFFS backup before you installed FlexQos the first time.
Oh my god...thats annoying since I didn't make a backup. I will check tomorrow.

How exactly did you check the logs? Via ssh or webinterface?

Oh my god...thats annoying since I didn't make a backup. I will check tomorrow.

How exactly did you check the logs? Via ssh or webinterface?
I use Scribe - Addon 5 in the amtm menu under SSH. That also installs j6 the uiScribe mods to the System Log Tab in the webui.

Helps to sift stuff into separate functions - in my case ... Crash, Logrotate, OpenVPN, Skynet, syslog-ng and wlceventd.
The FCACHE entries were easy to spot in the General Log - System Messages.
System Log - enhanced by Scribe.png

Don't get hung on log entries though ;) ... [I did as a Noob and got my wings clipped by the Furniture Dudes :D]
Now I only look at them if something goes seriously wrong - which is VERY seldom these days.

@zakazak - just to test I re-installed FlexQos via amtm menu item 3 and used same settings I had used moons ago before switching to Cake.
The Tools Tab page clearly showed for HW Acceleration that both Runner and Flow cache were enabled.

However - I got LOTS of these error message lines - suggesting that Flow Cache was buggy [to put it mildly] ..
Code:
kernel: [0;33;41mFCACHEfc_vblog_list_add ERROR: Duplicate blog: list blog<0xffffffc02f8b24c0> JOIN blog<0xffffffc02f8b1300>[0m
The log file was being filled with these "Duplicate blog" lines.

What is more curious is that even after uninstalling FlexQos and reverting to Cake - the above Flow Cache errors continued to show up - even after reboots and power off and power on.

The only way to get back to a clean install for me was to factory reset [and WPS button reset] - then load my Config Settings from saved backup before my games with FlexQos started - as well as reformat JFFS partition and restore my JFFS backup taken before FlexQos install.

Only after all that am I back to clean logs :D. You should perhaps check your logs for FCACHE Error entries?
If you get these running Cake - then there may be some carry over from the FlexQos install/uninstall :(
The solution is as above provided you made a Config settings and JFFS backup before you installed FlexQos the first time.

Hm I dont have your scripts installed to view logs in such detail but I did debug as "Error" and as "Debug" (both with log "All" messages) and didn't see any errors related to flexqos.
It just doesn't start up (and logs it as error) because AdaptiveQoS is not enabled.

I finally got my internet upgraded. For now it even is 550/110 mbit/s.

Cake seems to only manage 350mbit/s with 1 CPU maxing out.
Adaptive QoS seems to manage my full speed (but I set it to max. 480mbit/s) while the load gets averaged on all CPU's at 30%.

Bufferbloat test seems to be consistently good with Adaptive QoS.
Why not use Adaptive QoS instead of cake?

I finally got my internet upgraded. For now it even is 550/110 mbit/s.

Cake seems to only manage 350mbit/s with 1 CPU maxing out.
Adaptive QoS seems to manage my full speed (but I set it to max. 480mbit/s) while the load gets averaged on all CPU's at 30%.

Bufferbloat test seems to be consistently good with Adaptive QoS.
Why not use Adaptive QoS instead of cake?

At 550 down, you're getting very diminished returns by using any QoS at all. Sure you might get the occasional latency bump, but is it worth the CPU hit or bandwidth hit?

I would add no QoS to your comparison - it may open your eyes a bit.

The usual mistake is people test bufferbloat with some questionable online tools on Wi-Fi and at close to ISP line saturation speeds and then hurt themselves with different QoS types thinking bufferbloat is always there. Creating the problem first and then fighting it.

I have 350/10 cable but my ac68u doesn’t support cake. Are some new routers better than others for qos/buffer bloat??

I have 350/10 cable but my ac68u doesn’t support cake. Are some new routers better than others for qos/buffer bloat??

At 10/350, you are right at the edge of the non-HW-accelerated bandwidth. Do you get bad bufferbloat from a wired, known-good connection?

I suggest you simply stick to the suplied Cake-Qos within the firmware.
Try it with speed settings at 100% of your supplied capacity 112up and 330 down [Cake will throttle a small amount - no need for you to]
I have 125up and 250down fibre and always get A+ for Bufferbloat with near full speeds both up and down.
View attachment 45353

EDIT: Test here ... https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
I agree - This Is The Way...and it should work very very well

At 10/350, you are right at the edge of the non-HW-accelerated bandwidth. Do you get bad bufferbloat from a wired, known-good connection?
Usually a B on wire.