What's new

[384.7_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My reaction after reading the post:

First
Q34bAHj.jpg

Second
TACE9Ji.jpg

Third
JUHJ923.jpg

Joke

For those of you trying the Alpha 3, using freedns.afraid.org, behind a double NAT (router assigned a private IP), and the ISP changing the external IP every 5-10 minutes, has the Alpha allowed yo to connect to your OpenVPN Server? My router is an AC-56U so there are no test builds to try. Trying to decide whether to wait for Beta or apply a script. Thank you.

and the ISP changing the external IP every 5-10 minutes

You better forget about DDNS in that case. I would expect most providers to ban your account if you have to update your IP every 5-10 minutes with them. My implementation does not allow someone using external IP checks to re-run checks that frequently.

This isn't a race to keep up with Asus, this is impossible to achieve any longer due to the large number of models, the increased complexity of the code, Asus themselves not releasing all models at the same time, and the large amount of changes between each GPL release. Right now, moving to the 32xxx code would require once again leaving the RT-AC87U behind, which would mean the RT-AC87U would have to go for 4-6 months with no release. Therefore, 384.7 is locked down to the 384_21xxx code base.
I can only say "THANK YOU VERY MUCH".

You better forget about DDNS in that case. I would expect most providers to ban your account if you have to update your IP every 5-10 minutes with them. My implementation does not allow someone using external IP checks to re-run checks that frequently.

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for the Beta for the AC-56U and try it out. If they ban/block I'll report back.

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for the Beta for the AC-56U and try it out. If they ban/block I'll report back.

As I said, my implementation does not allow such short refresh values, the minimum value allowed (inherited from Asus's code) is 30 minutes.

Also, 384.7 won't be available for the RT-AC56U, because the last GPL release from Asus is too old and not compatible with the source code on which 384.7 will beb ased.

Seems to working fine here to on new: 384.7_alpha3-gf2a90e48c

No watchdog update now:
octopus@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ddns_update
ddns_update_by_wdog=
ddns_updated=1

In "ovpn-server1" Custom Configuration. Not display in custom settings but appear in config.ovpn under
# Custom Configuration
Alpha3

This is working now in Custom config box.

Upgraded AC3100 to Merlin 384.7_alpha3-gf2a90e48c with no issues, directly over previous alpha3 build.

After two days of stops syncing with dropbox. On the original software from ASUS work very well, in the previous software also works only for a moment.
RT-AC68U

@RMerlin, would you say we were close to beta builds dropping?

Probably, I don't have any other major change planned, just one or two additional component updates (like nano). I still need to keep an eye on the inadyn change, this one is a major change, and it caused quite a few stock FW bugs to pop up (like the double boot time update caused by the watchdog).

I'm not setting myself any specific timeframe however, I'm going to jump to the beta stage once I feel it's the right time.

Probably, I don't have any other major change planned, just one or two additional component updates (like nano). I still need to keep an eye on the inadyn change, this one is a major change, and it caused quite a few stock FW bugs to pop up (like the double boot time update caused by the watchdog).

I'm not setting myself any specific timeframe however, I'm going to jump to the beta stage once I feel it's the right time.

@RMerlin, will the new beta incorporate the ddns over https changes you made in your trial builds?

@RMerlin, will the new beta incorporate the ddns over https changes you made in your trial builds?

384.7 completely overhauled the DDNS implementation, I'm using inadyn instead of ez-ipupdate now. Themiron implemented https support to ez-ipupdate while I was working on inadyn. His ez-ipupdate work was intended to be my "plan B" in case things didn't work out with Inadyn The Inadyn implementation in the latest alpha build is mostly complete now, so I'm going forward with the change.

Inadyn has numerous advantages:

- Makes it easy for me to support both local and remote IP checks (the latter allows for use in a double NAT/CGNAT situation)
- Provides support for more providers
- Is still actively maintained and developed, while ez-ipupdate has been dead for about 10 years now.

Themiron's work won't be lost, as we'll try to get Asus to implement it upstream for the stock firmware.

384.7 completely overhauled the DDNS implementation, I'm using inadyn instead of ez-ipupdate now. Themiron implemented https support to ez-ipupdate while I was working on inadyn. His ez-ipupdate work was intended to be my "plan B" in case things didn't work out with Inadyn The Inadyn implementation in the latest alpha build is mostly complete now, so I'm going forward with the change.

Inadyn has numerous advantages:

- Makes it easy for me to support both local and remote IP checks (the latter allows for use in a double NAT/CGNAT situation)
- Provides support for more providers
- Is still actively maintained and developed, while ez-ipupdate has been dead for about 10 years now.

Themiron's work won't be lost, as we'll try to get Asus to implement it upstream for the stock firmware.
Great to hear, thanks for your awesome work [emoji3577]

@RMerlin I have big problems with the last beta and ddns.
Sep 12 19:51:48 start_ddns: update WWW.SELFHOST.DE selfhost, wan_unit 0
Sep 12 19:51:49 inadyn[4340]: In-a-dyn version 2.4 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Sep 12 19:51:49 inadyn[4340]: /etc/inadyn.conf:9: No hostnames listed in DDNS provider custom
Sep 12 19:51:49 inadyn[4340]: Parse error in /etc/inadyn.conf
Sep 12 19:51:49 syslog: Error code 74: Missing .conf file

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!