What's new

[384.7_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Eric,

I'm in 86U & Alpha 3 with some strange cases using DDNS (freedns.afraid.org):
Sep 6 10:39:54 watchdog: start ddns.
Sep 6 10:39:54 rc_service: watchdog 807:notify_rc start_ddns
Sep 6 10:39:54 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Sep 6 10:39:54 inadyn[3938]: In-a-dyn version 2.4 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Sep 6 10:39:55 inadyn[3938]: Update forced for alias ******.com, new IP# 1.2.3.4

And again:
Sep 6 10:40:24 watchdog: start ddns.
Sep 6 10:40:24 rc_service: watchdog 807:notify_rc start_ddns
[...]

We can see the warning in the UI, however, it notifies that registration was successful:
VcAnc27.png

Moreover, if I reboot the router to get a new WAN IP Address it is not changed automatically in FreeDNS.AFRAID.ORG.

However, it is working like a charm with custom DDNS script, the warning dissapear, using the script that we have in Merlin GitHub Markdown docs.

Thanks in advance for your effort with this provider integration.
Best regards :)

Upgraded AC3100 to latest 384.7_alpha3-gd56c7bf34 from 384.6 Final and no issues so far, and no reset yet. Thanks Merlin!

I'm also seeing an issue with DDNS and Alpha-3 on my AC68U. I use No-IP and I now get the message "Request error! Please try again."

Worked fine before with Alpha-1 and Alpha-2.

I see this in the system log:

Sep 6 15:54:38 watchdog: start ddns.
Sep 6 15:54:38 rc_service: watchdog 258:notify_rc start_ddns
Sep 6 15:54:38 start_ddns: update WWW.NO-IP.COM default@no-ip.com, wan_unit 0
Sep 6 15:54:38 inadyn[5954]: In-a-dyn version 2.4 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Sep 6 15:54:38 inadyn[5954]: /etc/inadyn.conf:8: unterminated string constant
Sep 6 15:54:38 inadyn[5954]: Parse error in /etc/inadyn.conf
Sep 6 15:54:38 syslog: Error code 74: Missing .conf file
code 74: Missing .conf file

What do you have in that config file?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hey guys where is the usb drive selection to downgrade to usb2? My usb3 drive will not mount after resetting to factory defaults? The log shows zero. No entries for the drive. Thanks in advance guys!

sorry ... ~ instead of -

That could be why. Try entering it between "" on the password field as a workaround for now.

Hey guys where is the usb drive selection to downgrade to usb2? My usb3 drive will not mount after resetting to factory defaults? The log shows zero. No entries for the drive. Thanks in advance guys!

Asus moved it - click on the USB icon on the main page.

That is weird, because I did a "git add -f" to add everything that's on my commit repo, and all my build repositories are rsync'ed copies from that one. Could be a case of someone missing dev packages in his environment.

Not sure what happened with that commit, because another git add -f just revealed a few more files.

Not sure what happened with that commit, because another git add -f just revealed a few more files.

For some reason, 'git add -f' wasn't working for me. I had to delete the wget .gitignore for the the files to show up and be added to tracking, then put back the gitignore.

EDIT: We'll find out if that worked when I push my next release :)

And again:

Yes, Asus's watchdog code for ddns is really odd. The first time the watchdog checks for the DDNS state, it will ALWAYS force an update, even if the DDNS was succesfully updated just a minute ago by the boot time process. Combined with the regular boot time update, that means two updates are done at boot time. I'm still trying to figure out what Asus were trying to accomplish with that watchdog code and their odd WAN-related handling. It's as if they wanted to implement multi WAN support, yet that code was never properly implemented/tested. I might end up scrapping their code and replacing it with my own if I still fail to make up any sense out of it.

Asus's watchdog isn't that far from their wanduck code in terms of the level of "WTF were they thinking" involved in that code...

After a couple of hour I can see in log DDNS checks every 30 seconds and spamming log.

That shouldn't happen unless the previous update somehow failed, the nvram indicating the update state were wiped out, or you are using DualWAN. What do you have in the ddns_return_code_chk nvram setting? Are you in a double NAT or CGNAT situation?

Last edited:
That could be why. Try entering it between "" on the password field as a workaround for now.

Asus moved it - click on the USB icon on the main page.
I actually ended up swapping ports. i put the usb2 drive in the usb3 port and put the usb3 drive into the usb2 port and bingo it all works....wtf?

That shouldn't happen unless the previous update somehow failed, the nvram indicating the update state were wiped out, or you are using DualWAN. What do you have in the ddns_return_code_chk nvram setting? Are you in a double NAT or CGNAT situation?

- NO DualWAN
- NO double NAT (Use Fiberline)
- NO CGNAT (public ip)
- octopus@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ddns_return
- ddns_return_code_chk=200
- ddns_return_code=200 <<== This code disappear after awhile (200)

This time I don't get yellow exclamation mark on "Internet status:" on main page.

Turned it on again:
Sep 7 07:47:46 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Sep 7 07:47:46 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: xxx.174.113.xxx)
Sep 7 07:47:46 inadyn[17789]: In-a-dyn version 2.4 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Sep 7 07:47:46 ddns: Completed custom ddns update
Sep 7 07:47:46 inadyn[17789]: Update forced for alias octopus.xxxxxx.se, new IP# xxx.174.113.xxx

Last edited:
I actually ended up swapping ports. i put the usb2 drive in the usb3 port and put the usb3 drive into the usb2 port and bingo it all works....wtf?

This is the case for me as well on my RT-AC66U_B1 running the 68U firmware. I even went back to 384.5 to test this and got the same result where the ports seem to be backwards.

Code:
nvram show | grep _speed
size: 58010 bytes (7526 left)
usb_path2_speed=480
usb_path1_speed=5000

Code:
dmesg | grep usb
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
usb usb1: No SuperSpeed endpoint companion for config 1  interface 0 altsetting 0 ep 129: using minimum values
[xhci-hub] usb2mode:[0]
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_mbim
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
usb 1-1: new SuperSpeed USB device using xhci_hcd and address 2
scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1:1.0
usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
scsi1 : usb-storage 2-2:1.0

Last edited:
Sep 7 07:47:46 ddns: Completed custom ddns update

Something in your script might be interfering with the process, causing the watchdog to think the update wasn't succesfull.

Something in your script might be interfering with the process, causing the watchdog to think the update wasn't succesfull.

I remember what I do when testing new iandyn function. I renamed the ddns start script and configured ddns gui and not restarted ddns. Seems to work now and not constantly repeted watchdog restart every 30 seconds.

Saw you watchdog modification on github.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/911bc96201e8701fb46f7c1d821cd4dd27b6a5aa

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!