What's new

[384.8_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glad you’re stable again, @D_Day. Everything still fine here on alpha1. I haven’t reset yet, but thinking about it to start off this testing sequence clean.
The problem with universal beamforming for me was ok to begin with, I just enabled it and my devices worked fine. After I reset things got worse so you might be better off not resetting yet.
I’m going to give it a few days and reset again and then update to alpha1 again and see what happens, it’s a bit of a challenge for me now :)

The problem with universal beamforming for me was ok to begin with, I just enabled it and my devices worked fine. After I reset things got worse so you might be better off not resetting yet.
I’m going to give it a few days and reset again and then update to alpha1 again and see what happens, it’s a bit of a challenge for me now :)
GPL 32799 has a WiFi stability fix listed in notes, but who knows when Asus gets around to releasing the source. If I decide to reset and test out your theory, I’ll update. Worst case— I roll back to 384.7 like you did. :)

GPL 32799 has a WiFi stability fix listed in notes, but who knows when Asus gets around to releasing the source. If I decide to reset and test out your theory, I’ll update. Worst case— I roll back to 384.7 like you did. :)
I’ll keep an eye on Github to see when RMerlin mergers it, hopefully it will be during this release :)

Seems unlikely that @RMerlin will be be incorporating 32799 in this release cycle, once he commits to one Asus development release (in this case 32738), he rarely adds on newer features from the absolute latest Asus release.

once he commits to one Asus development release (in this case 32738), he rarely adds on newer features from the absolute latest Asus release.
True
But this build is still very young and everything depends on the speed Asus will release GPL 32799 I think. Lets see :)

Am I the only one that sees "avahi" spam in the log? Why are we seeing this now? Didn't show on 384.7.

I had a similar issue but with only a couple of devices. They would connect to the router but a speed test showed little to no throughput until I enabled universal beamforming. All seemed ok for a couple of days and then no throughput again, I did a reboot and all was good for 10 mins and then no throughput.
I factory reset and tested with universal beamforming disabled and everything worked great, I left everything whilst I had a coffee and sandwich and then no throughput to those devices again, I enabled universal beamforming and it worked for 10 mins then no throughput.
I have now rolled back to 384.7 and so far everything is working as it should.
Might be worth checking the signal levels on those devices and the connected rates. Both can be seen in the wireless log page

Might be worth checking the signal levels on those devices and the connected rates. Both can be seen in the wireless log page
The first device was connected 150/150 which is correct as it is connected the same now while it is running correctly and 59dBm.
I have no idea what caused the issue but it’s working properly on 384.7 again.

I factory reset 384.8 and all is well so far.

I did notice one bit of odd behavior.

Upon initially finishing setup and landing on GUI, I noticed the WiFi icon in the top right corner was not lit up? Devices were connected fine. As I moved around the GUI or made some initial changes (not to do with WiFi), it would light up and then go off (devices still connected). Eventually it stayed lit up. It’s perfectly fine now, but I thought that was odd behavior or maybe it’s something I never noticed before?

I factory reset 384.8 and all is well so far.

I did notice one bit of odd behavior.

Upon initially finishing setup and landing on GUI, I noticed the WiFi icon in the top right corner was not lit up? Devices were connected fine. As I moved around the GUI or made some initial changes (not to do with WiFi), it would light up and then go off (devices still connected). Eventually it stayed lit up. It’s perfectly fine now, but I thought that was odd behavior or maybe it’s something I never noticed before?
I didn’t notice the WiFi light coming on late but I was concentrating on other things so maybe I just didn’t pick it up.
I did notice a real slowdown with the GUI on both IE and Chrome on 3 different laptops, all had browser cache wiped, all were tested using both LAN and WiFi and at both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and it was noticeably slower. Opening the GUI on my iPhone in Safari was definitely faster but it was still slower than normal.
I didn’t get the white boxes like others have mentioned though.

I didn’t notice the WiFi light coming on late but I was concentrating on other things so maybe I just didn’t pick it up.
I did notice a real slowdown with the GUI on both IE and Chrome on 3 different laptops, all had browser cache wiped, all were tested using both LAN and WiFi and at both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and it was noticeably slower. Opening the GUI on my iPhone in Safari was definitely faster but it was still slower than normal.
I didn’t get the white boxes like others have mentioned though.
GUI seems fast enough here. No real difference in speed in IE and Safari. WiFi has been solid so far, after reset. The WiFi icon has been lit, since that initial odd behavior.

GUI seems fast enough here. No real difference in speed in IE and Safari. So far WiFi has been solid, after reset. The WiFi icon has been lit, since that initial odd behavior.
That’s fab!
I really want to factory reset and update again and see if the problems come back but it’s fitting the time in between kids and my course work.
My router could have a hardware issue that I’m unaware of but without testing it I won’t know.

Seems unlikely that @RMerlin will be be incorporating 32799 in this release cycle, once he commits to one Asus development release (in this case 32738), he rarely adds on newer features from the absolute latest Asus release.

It's still very early in the 384.8 development cycle. Until I make it near the end of the alpha cycle, the merge window remains completely open, especially since I'm currently based on 32797, there's most likely almost no changes in 32799 beside updated binary blobs.

Am I the only one that sees "avahi" spam in the log? Why are we seeing this now? Didn't show on 384.7.

Asus upgraded Avahi from 0.6.xx to 0.7.

ac86u 384.7 and 384.8alpha, factory reset after update. UPnP does not work.
Any software that uses UPnP, for example, a torrent client reports an error in the log:

miniupnpd[2109]: Failed to add NAT-PMP 10287 tcp->10.0.1.6:10287 'NAT-PMP 10287 tcp'
miniupnpd[2109]: Failed to add NAT-PMP 10287 udp->10.0.1.6:10287 'NAT-PMP 10287 udp'

Good luck.
Let me know how you get on please.
One day report, working fine no degradations on wifi either 5 or 2 Ghz. We will see after some more days.
Uptime 1 days 2 hours 21 minute(s) 19 seconds

ac86u 384.7 and 384.8alpha, factory reset after update. UPnP does not work.
Any software that uses UPnP, for example, a torrent client reports an error in the log:

miniupnpd[2109]: Failed to add NAT-PMP 10287 tcp->10.0.1.6:10287 'NAT-PMP 10287 tcp'
miniupnpd[2109]: Failed to add NAT-PMP 10287 udp->10.0.1.6:10287 'NAT-PMP 10287 udp'
This issue has happened since 384.6. I mentioned about this on the 384.7 thread. You can follow there:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-7-is-now-available.49194/page-15#post-437936

Just adding input, no issues on 384.8 Alpha at all. Everything functioning fine including no restarts needed with use of my media bridge/AP setup.
Same here...No issues on my end using on my RT-AC68R...we'll keep testing it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!