What's new

386.1_0 Guest1 can't connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BatKing

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Upgraded 2 AC68Us (aimesh) from 384.19 to 386.1 stable. Initially do a dirty upgrade without reset. Everything seemed fine and AiMesh 2.0 seems working fine. But after testing guest network, Guest1 both 2.4 and 5Ghz can't connect. it will say my password incorrect on Mac or iOS devices and prompt me password again but on windows say can't connect. below are the system log. So I do a reset from scratch by thinking that maybe the issue. But after reset and reconfig without adding Node, still facing exactly the same issue. Guest 2 do not have this issue tho. Any help is appreciate. Thanks.

Code:
Feb  1 09:59:31 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(555): wl1.1: Assoc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb  1 09:59:37 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(490): wl1.1: Deauth_ind YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY, status: 0, reason: 4-way handshake timeout (f), rssi:0

Use a different SSID than you originally used on the guest 1.

Does it connect using GN2, 3, or 4?

Guest network 2 works. I only have GN1 and GN2 setup. I also notice GN1 2.4 and 5Ghz now is on a different bridge on its own, but not sure if this is related. I read somewhere AiMesh2.0 GN1 is on its own subnet. nothing can connect to br1 or br2 APs
Code:
# brctl  show
bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
br0             8000.xxxxxxxxxxxx       yes             vlan1
                                                        eth1
                                                        eth2
                                                        wl0.2
                                                        wl1.2
br1             8000.yyyyyyyyyyyy       yes             wl0.1
                                                        eth0.501
                                                        eth1.501
                                                        eth2.501
br2             8000.zzzzzzzzzzzz        yes             wl1.1
                                                        eth0.502
                                                        eth1.502
                                                        eth2.502

Last edited:
Finally have to go back to 384.19 and all problems are gone. good I have both jffs and config backed up, so only took me 30 minutes back to everything working state.

Also not sure why, since I have 2 ac68us as AiMesh, During testing, the one I used for all the testing was the original Node. before reseting it and update it from official 386 to Merline 386 for virgin nvram testing, ( I ran official fw for Node ), the Node was removed and add 2 times to the router no issues as I thought it was the new AiMesh2.0 guest1 wifi on "All" setting was the issue. but removing the node didn't help and rejoin the node also the same issue. I even update the node to merlin 386.1 and join it again successfully, but the guest1 wifi issue persist. So finally I removed the node one more time, reset everything one more time then using my ac68u router as reference to manually setup everything on the reseted node (without adding a AiMesh Node). then swap the newly setup node as router, and test out the guest1 wifi on it. Still the same issue. Guest1 wifi can't be successfully join at all.

Then I thought since the only thing doesn't work is guest1 and I can deal with it for now by only use guest2 and 3 with out the new 2.0 guest aimesh feature as the old 384.19 firmware. Maybe I should test out if there are other issues. so going back to the Old router, reset the virgin setup test router and try to join it back to the old router as AiMesh Node. To my surprise, it fail on 1% and then goes to the cannot add the node blah blah blah error msg. Tried over 10 times reset the node, reboot the router, use ethernet instead of wifi, Enable WDS as some thread suggested. it always can find the node but always failing at 1%. the last thing I didn't try was reset the router. So I can't even get back to the old just upgraded to 386.1 state anymore for some unknown reason. Not sure is resetting the router will help on this. but this combination was working before I made the node as router config for testing.

Started all this from 10pm last night to 5am, then 9am to 11am again and now I need stable internet for the kids video classes. so has to go back.

I guess I will stuck in 384.19 for now. Also did a bit of search on on the forum, doesn't seem anyone have this issue as mine on guest1?

Last edited:
I'm unsure if you're doing a full reset on the routers after flashing to the firmware you want to use/test?

When you get a chance again, you may want to follow the suggestions in the links below.

Update/Reset Mini Guide

Reset Mini Guide + Control Channel Setup Details

Control Channel Setup 2021
I used the WPS button reset method. also everthing was gone after reset. if I go Admin page, I was forced to re-setup everything from Admin user to Wifi before I can do any further setup.

Did reading any of those links give you a clue what may be wrong then? What is your, 'further setup'?

Did reading any of those links give you a clue what may be wrong then? What is your, 'further setup'?
That's just saying my verification that my steps of WPS reset works. for a Node setup, after WPS reset, I just leave it as is and use the router to connect to it. When testing by using the Node as a Virgin Router setup, after WPS reset, I have to resetup admin and wifi SSID before it will let me to do any further setup. My setup for testing purpose only is pretty simple. I don't need / turn on any QoS or Ai Application/Protection stuff. Those link doesn't ring a bell for me.

My steps after reset is usually simple. the only reference I need the is static IP assignment for DHCP as the rest is pretty simple setup.

1. setup Admin User and Wifi as the Web UI forced me to do so.
2. setup Wireless Professional. short preamble type, disable Universal Beanforming.
3. Setup DHCP static IP for my IoT devices and my NAS and Media player
4. enable IPV6
5. enable SSH and paste in my pub key, disable password login.
6. Setup Guest Network on GN1 and GN2 both 2.4 and 5Ghz (different SSID)

Then finally test regular Wifi both 2.4 and 5Ghz works, make sure all IoT device can join main Wifi and NAS Server is up and running in network. test GN1 both 2.4 and 5GHz doesn't work, test GN2 both 2.4 and 5Ghz works fine.

Last edited:
Unless you want to repeat those steps above to verify, it seems like the issue is between steps 4 and 6.

Before doing step 2, does GN work? Proceed to step 3, does GN work? Proceed to step 4.

After step 4, does GN continue to work? Proceed to step 5.

After step 5 is complete, does GN continue to work? Etc.

If you're putting in a 'bad' configuration whether by reloading a saved backup config file or actually typing in the commands, a reset can't help, of course.

Nah, all the above steps are manually perform after reset. That's the whole point I used the Node to test as I want to preserve the router in case it is easy config change to fix it and I don't have to reset the router and load my full setup.

will try your suggest when I get time and no body in house need stable internet. Thanks.

That's just saying my verification that my steps of WPS reset works. for a Node setup, after WPS reset, I just leave it as is and use the router to connect to it. When testing by using the Node as a Virgin Router setup, after WPS reset, I have to resetup admin and wifi SSID before it will let me to do any further setup. My setup for testing purpose only is pretty simple. I don't need / turn on any QoS or Ai Application/Protection stuff. Those link doesn't ring a bell for me.

My steps after reset is usually simple. the only reference I need the is static IP assignment for DHCP as the rest is pretty simple setup.

1. setup Admin User and Wifi as the Web UI forced me to do so.
2. setup Wireless Professional. short preamble type, disable Universal Beanforming.
3. Setup DHCP static IP for my IoT devices and my NAS and Media player
4. enable IPV6
5. enable SSH and paste in my pub key, disable password login.
6. Setup Guest Network on GN1 and GN2 both 2.4 and 5Ghz (different SSID)

Then finally test regular Wifi both 2.4 and 5Ghz works, make sure all IoT device can join main Wifi and NAS Server is up and running in network. test GN1 both 2.4 and 5GHz doesn't work, test GN2 both 2.4 and 5Ghz works fine.
The issue is that you set "static" IP Addresses, or more likely Manual Assignment, for your IoT devices. Leave the IoT devices to get addresses via DHCP especially when using Guest Network 1. Guest network 1 assigns IP's in the 192.168.101.0/24 range on the 2.4 GHZ band and in the 192.168.102.0/24 range on the 5 GHZ band. This is to allow the Guest Network 1's to be propagated to the AiMesh nodes.

The issue is that you set "static" IP Addresses, or more likely Manual Assignment, for your IoT devices. Leave the IoT devices to get addresses via DHCP especially when using Guest Network 1. Guest network 1 assigns IP's in the 192.168.101.0/24 range on the 2.4 GHZ band and in the 192.168.102.0/24 range on the 5 GHZ band. This is to allow the Guest Network 1's to be propagated to the AiMesh nodes.
Thanks, will try that out. Thinking will also try the official 386 as router to see if GN1 have the same issue as Merlin 386. Also I found the router don't have live internet, it doesn't perform stable? and every time I change the router, it take the cable modern more than 20 minutes, sometime multiple reboot for the router to regain DHCP public IP and live internet.

Both the Asus "386" firmware and Merlin's "386" firmware have the same Guest Network 1 features. I have a small office with AC68U & AC66U_B1 in an AiMesh router -node setup with Guest Network 1 - 2.4 GHZ working very well on Asus firmware. You may be farther ahead with Merlin as it has a whole lot more security features.

Got some time today so try to do more testing by removing my Node and load up the 386.1 Merlin as my test router.
I think I may find the issue. repeated test result does verified what I'm seeing is true. If I have both CTF and FA enabled in HW acceleration. then I have this issue. If I only CTF enabled Then my Guest network 1 is all fine. Since I don't use any QoS/Traffic monitor/statistic/AIProtection, both CTF and FA is always enabled for me. I don't know how to control to turn on CTF and FA but to me if I enable traffic statistic, then FA will be turn off.

I only find out this by Luck. There is always a mystery to me is what FA does and if AC68U does have FA? because I read somewhere RMerlin stated that AC68U do not have FA? However there is ANOTHER mystery to me is everytime if I reset the AC68U, the 1st time up, in tools tab, Merlin always reported CTF only (This is how I found out GN1 is working when CTF only is enabled). if I reboot, then 2nd time up and onward will always be CTF and FA (and this is when I find GN1 is broken).

If I enable Traffic Analyzer Statistic, then CTF and FA will remain until I reboot, then CTF is the only enabled HW acceleration. So now I can replicate the Guest Network 1 issue by turn off Traffic Analyzer Statistic and reboot (as FA won't be report disabled in Tools without reboot) then my GN1 is working and CTF only. Disable Traffic Analyzer Statistic and reboot, then my GN1 cannot be connect anymore and CTF + FA both is enabled in both Tools and Lan Switch.

So here you go, I do find an issue and able to replicate it consistently. I haven't try on Official Asus and test it out. But there does seems a bug which I take Merlin may not be able to fix as both CTF/FA and GuestNetwork for AiMesh is all Broadcom and Asus's black box code?

Last edited:
Got some time today so try to do more testing by removing my Node and load up the 386.1 Merlin as my test router.
I think I may find the issue. repeated test result does verified what I'm seeing is true. If I have both CTF and FA enabled in HW acceleration. then I have this issue. If I only CTF enabled Then my Guest network 1 is all fine. Since I don't use any QoS/Traffic monitor/statistic/AIProtection, both CTF and FA is always enabled for me. I don't know how to control to turn on CTF and FA but to me if I enable traffic statistic, then FA will be turn off.

I only find out this by Luck. There is always a mystery to me is what FA does and if AC68U does have FA? because I read somewhere RMerlin stated that AC68U do not have FA? However there is ANOTHER mystery to me is everytime if I reset the AC68U, the 1st time up, in tools tab, Merlin always reported CTF only (This is how I found out GN1 is working when CTF only is enabled). if I reboot, then 2nd time up and onward will always be CTF and FA (and this is when I find GN1 is broken).

If I enable Traffic Analyzer Statistic, then CTF and FA will remain until I reboot, then CTF is the only enabled HW acceleration. So now I can replicate the Guest Network 1 issue by turn off Traffic Analyzer Statistic and reboot (as FA won't be report disabled in Tools without reboot) then my GN1 is working and CTF only. Disable Traffic Analyzer Statistic and reboot, then my GN1 cannot be connect anymore and CTF + FA both is enabled in both Tools and Lan Switch.

So here you go, I do find an issue and able to replicate it consistently. I haven't try on Official Asus and test it out. But there does seems a bug which I take Merlin may not be able to fix as both CTF/FA and GuestNetwork for AiMesh is all Broadcom and Asus's black box code?
I am having the same problem as BatKing on my RT-AC68U (I'm not using AiMesh like BatKing though). I've been running happily with GN1 enabled for many months. A couple weeks ago, I decided to turn off the Traffic Analyzer. Everything continued to work fine, until I upgraded the firmware from 386.1_0 to 386.1_2. After the update was completed GN1 no longer worked. Found a thread that said to try GN2. That worked.

I wanted to get GN1 working again, so I downgraded back to 386.1_0. That did not fix the problem.

Then I came across BatKing's solution and re-enabled Traffic Analyzer. At that point GN1 started working again, and it continued to work when I re-installed 386.1_2.

I too suspect a bug where GN1 stops working when FA is enable. I guess it did not create a problem for me earlier when I disabled Traffic Analyzer because I did not reboot the router. I only rebooted after the firmware upgrade.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!