What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12_6 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12_6 has been released for Wifi 5 models. This is a security update addressing two vulnerabilities in dnsmasq when using DNSSEC.

Changes since 386.12_4:

Code:
386.12_6 (26-Feb-2024)
  - UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.90 (resolves CVE 2023-50868 and CVE 2023-50387).

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
The changelog link does not work
Thanks, fixed. It was an old link I copy/pasted that dated from before the site migration I did in December.

Since the last 386_12_4 thread closed, I eventually, after running it for many weeks, had to downgrade because of instability in the form of a few short, daily connection drops. These drops affected at least the Aimesh nodes, I'm not sure if it did with the main AC86 (I'm not using that, and the users who do, use it infrequently so I don't know the stability patterns).

386_11 was stable in daily operation, but eventually I remembered what was wrong with that too, when after 1-2 weeks would run into a huge crash where the router had to be restarted manually (simply unacceptable in my setup).

I'm back on 386_10 now, trying to regain perfect stability. Can't remember if it was 386_10 or 386_9 where I last experienced that. Network Map is all over the place, but general stability is what I'm trying to find.

I suppose there is not much hope of solving general stability with this security update (unless there is a chance there has been bugfixes in dnsmasq that caused underlying problems?), so I'm awaiting the next GPL fw update.

Last edited:
I suppose there is not much hope of solving general stability with this security update (unless there is a chance there has been bugfixes in dnsmasq that caused underlying problems?), so I'm awaiting the next GPL fw update.
I don't think there will be a next GPL for AC models any time soon. Most of them will get end-of-life'd, unfortunately.

I don't think there will be a next GPL for AC models any time soon. Most of them will get end-of-life'd, unfortunately.
Based on anything interesting? Please, this is pure speculation. People have been yapping about the impending fate of the AC68U for at least 5 of the 10+ years. AC86 is a former high end router in their lineup that has been broadly available for sale until relatively recently. While I wouldn't put it beneath them, it would be huge mistake by Asus for a number of reasons, and people would take notice.

So tired of this presumptive FUD flooding every discussion about the AC routers.

Based on anything interesting? Please, this is pure speculation. People have been yapping about the impending fate of the AC68U for at least 5 of the 10+ years. AC86 is a former high end router in their lineup that has been broadly available for sale until relatively recently. While I wouldn't put it beneath them, it would be huge mistake by Asus for a number of reasons, and people would take notice.

So tired of this presumptive FUD flooding every discussion about the AC routers.
Sorry for pushing your buttons, man. Maybe I'm wrong.

POST#15:
"SDK 7.x models were EOL a few months ago, however the RT-AC68U still isn't. I know Asus' general roadmap there, and all I can say without sharing the details that I know is that the RT-AC68U is not EOL, and isn't going to become EOL in the near future either."

Since applying this update, my iphone is having difficulties connecting to and staying connected to my wifi...
when it is seemingly connected, I get an IP address outside the DHCP range...and no ipv6 address.
Something is odd with IPv6...I may have to look into dnsmasq config, or unbound...hmmm...

If it's time to do a hard reset, well...so be it.

when it is seemingly connected, I get an IP address outside the DHCP range...and no ipv6 address.
That usually means you have a rogue DHCP server running on your network.

Since applying this update, my iphone is having difficulties connecting to and staying connected to my wifi...
That usually means you have a rogue DHCP server running on your network.
Or you might have some teens (in the house or neighborhood) that are using their new Flipper Zero's to launch attacks against your wifi... BTW, is the IP4 range you're getting different from what you have configured on the router by chance?

Last edited:
Something is odd with IPv6...I may have to look into dnsmasq config, or unbound...hmmm...

If it's time to do a hard reset, well...so be it.
If you haven't already tried, forget the network and reconnect. I've found our Apple devices, especially iPhone's, to need this on certain firmware upgrades.

wow, lots of advice...
It may be a dead entware drive: if I pull it and reboot the router, all the issues I mentioned go away.
I will reformat the drive and try re-installing unbound, diversion, ntpMerlin...stay tuned.

Remember to add which version you are upgrading from (and if it worked 100% stable).

Since the last 386_12_4 thread closed, I eventually, after running it for many weeks, had to downgrade because of instability in the form of a few short, daily connection drops. These drops affected at least the Aimesh nodes, I'm not sure if it did with the main AC86 (I'm not using that, and the users who do, use it infrequently so I don't know the stability patterns).

386_11 was stable in daily operation, but eventually I remembered what was wrong with that too, when after 1-2 weeks would run into a huge crash where the router had to be restarted manually (simply unacceptable in my setup).

I'm back on 386_10 now, trying to regain perfect stability. Can't remember if it was 386_10 or 386_9 where I last experienced that. Network Map is all over the place, but general stability is what I'm trying to find.

Did you try this fix:

For me, this reduced the issues with the router by an order of magnitude or more !

Quick report. Attempted dirty upgrade on AC86u, on top of 12_4.

After the upgrade to 12_6, my key laptop stopped getting DHCP address, both WiFi and plugged in (!!!). Just could not connect to the router at all.

Somehow a Fire tablet did connect to the router fine. So I was able to download 12_4 to the tablet, and downgrade back to 12_4 using the tablet. After the downgrade computer could connect again.

Anyway, a few unpleasant minutes of adrenaline, but with a happy reversal back to where I was before.

Successfully installed a dirty upgrade on RT-AC68U, on top of 386.12.4 and ran for over a day without problems. This evening, for some reason, wifi just stopped working. Ethernet direct connect just fine. Was able to reboot the router and everything seems back to normal. My 12.4 ran perfectly without any type of issues. Just posting in case others are having similar issues. Happy to research anything if anyone has any questions. Will post again and/or downgrade to 12.4 if things look unstable.

Thanks!

Same situation here, i'm currently stable with 386.12, all the new builds create problems on wifi and i notice that the problems continue to be reported. Unfortunately Merlin's hands are tied and he can't do more than this, for now i'll stay on .12 and let AdGuardHome manage the DNSSEC.

Reactions: fri
Quick report. Attempted dirty upgrade on AC86u, on top of 12_4.

After the upgrade to 12_6, my key laptop stopped getting DHCP address, both WiFi and plugged in (!!!). Just could not connect to the router at all.

Somehow a Fire tablet did connect to the router fine. So I was able to download 12_4 to the tablet, and downgrade back to 12_4 using the tablet. After the downgrade computer could connect again.

Anyway, a few unpleasant minutes of adrenaline, but with a happy reversal back to where I was before.

Same situation, unfortunately. I had to put the 386.12_4 back on, because the devices with 5GHz couldn't connect: Pixel 6a and SkyQ. As soon as the 386.12_4 firmware was put back in, the devices reconnected immediately.

P.S.

With firmware 386.12_6, I had also tried to delete the wifi saved on my Pixel 6a and redo the connection, but nothing... it said there was a problem with the IP acquisition. Also tried to change some settings on the Wifi Menu (channel, etc.) but nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!