What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's the one scenario that does worry me. A major exploit that needs to be fixed and our only option is to revert to stock.
Quite afraid of that question…

What if there’s a CVE fix that is so serious that we have to revert to stock?
I'd revert in a heartbeat and not give it another thought... it's a router with a purpose - stock firmware may not be as elegant, but exactly what are we trying to do here?...

My RT-AC86U is still working fine, but is approaching three years old, and is a model known to suffer from sudden/premature death
maybe just make sure it stays on the cool side to keep it that way?

What are the chances that future GPLs won’t even be “buildable” by you after the cleanup is done to the complainant’s satisfaction?
Won't be a problem. I did receive a first cleaned up GPL archive a few weeks ago for one specific model, and it was fully buildable. That's part of why it's taking so long to get cleaned GPLs, Asus's engineers need to ensure that it's still buildable. That sometimes mean rewriting some Makefiles.

2 core vs 4 core; 512mb vs 1gb memory; no 2.5mbs LAN/WAN port; USB3+USB2 rather than 2USB3.
I should have been more specific: What are the differences between the AX86u and AX86s?

So you want to eol devices in this time of huge chip shortages,

I'm merely suggesting that if reducing the number of supported devices allows RMerlin to continue his firmware, then it makes sense to do it. I'm not suggesting that ASUS do anything about any of their devices.

I'd revert in a heartbeat and not give it another thought... it's a router with a purpose - stock firmware may not be as elegant, but exactly what are we trying to do here?...
For me, the loss of the Asuswrt-Merlin features I use (DNSFilter/VPN Director) that are not in stock would be the annoyance. Not a blocker as security/protection should always be front and center.

Won't be a problem. I did receive a first cleaned up GPL archive a few weeks ago for one specific model, and it was fully buildable. That's part of why it's taking so long to get cleaned GPLs, Asus's engineers need to ensure that it's still buildable. That sometimes mean rewriting some Makefiles.
Hey @RMerlin just out of curiosity are any of the builds you get universal so they can be used on multiple devices. Or are they device specific across the board so you actually have to build 20 different sets of code?

Hey @RMerlin just out of curiosity are any of the builds you get universal so they can be used on multiple devices. Or are they device specific across the board so you actually have to build 20 different sets of code?
I need one separate GPL archive for every single supported model. The main code is common so I only have to merge it once, but then the model-specific portions need to be merged separately. I wrote a script that takes care of automatically merging the binary portions for me, but the SDK portion have to merged manually for every platforms.

For me, the loss of the Asuswrt-Merlin features I use (DNSFilter/VPN Director) that are not in stock would be the annoyance.

For your AX88U routers DNSFilter is in Asuswrt RC3 beta, as well as VPN profiles with some client assignment options and Wireguard client/server. DNS-over-TLS is also included in WAN section. It's coming soon to AX86U. Works well on AC86U, but no Wireguard on that model. Marketing.

For your AX88U routers DNSFilter is in Asuswrt RC3 beta, as well as VPN profiles with some client assignment options and Wireguard client/server. DNS-over-TLS is also included in WAN section. It's coming soon to AX86U. Works well on AC86U, but no Wireguard on that model. Marketing.
Only my AX86U is in Router mode, rest are APs so it will need to wait for that unless I re-jig everything. Will keep my eyes peeled.

I was surprised to see so many Asuswrt-Merlin and similar features all at once in Asuswrt. There is also Auto Firmware Upgrade on/off switch. It actually feels weird - @RMerlin can't build/update his firmware anymore, but Asus is coming with "new" Asuswrt-Merlin borrowed features. :rolleyes:

If I could not run Merlin on my Asus routers then I would probably sell them and use a pfsense based solution. I don’t need AX wifi and my 3 old eero pro units are much more stable for me than anything else I have tried. I don’t see my 100/10 connection increasing anytime soon and these eero pro units are more than enough. Their routing functions are too limited for me, hence the reason I run a Merlin router in front of them.
Can you tell I am a big Merlin fan. :)

I was surprised to see so many Asuswrt-Merlin and similar features all at once in Asuswrt. There is also Auto Firmware Upgrade on/off switch. It actually feels weird - @RMerlin can't build/update his firmware anymore, but Asus is coming with "new" Asuswrt-Merlin borrowed features. :rolleyes:
What's that they say? Stealing... I mean, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

I don't know what it is, but the timing is what makes it feel weird. Stop Asuswrt-Merlin and push the new Asuswrt with the same or similar features. I would like to hear @RMerlin position on this, if he wants to share it with us. I have to admit the new Asuswrt VPN section offers limited functionality, but in very easy to understand form and with modern looking UI. What it offers is what most people would like to have available for VPN. I don't have supported router model to test Wireguard server/client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online