What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at all going on right now.
that is cool , take some time to relax . I'm surprised you have kept this going for so long , . I just wish Asus would reward you for all the hard work you have done , seeing as it benefits Asus . because of your FW I have bought and sold hundreds of Asus routers .
Thank you again

You have a dns-related issue, causing a backlog of queries to fill the limit of 150 concurrent queries.
Any idea about how I'd resolve it or what caused it? I'll try reinstalling the VPN client in the mean time, but I am clueless as to why this just developed while running the VPN...

Haven't chimed in for awhile.
Alpha running smoothly here on a dirty upgrade to my AX86U
All that I use is performing as normal.

Any idea about how I'd resolve it or what caused it? I'll try reinstalling the VPN client in the mean time, but I am clueless as to why this just developed while running the VPN...
First thing I would do is switch DNS mode from Strict to Exclusive. Strict doesn`t really work as people expect it, it's a special dnsmasq config parameter that even the dnsmasq author says should probably not be used.

First thing I would do is switch DNS mode from Strict to Exclusive. Strict doesn`t really work as people expect it, it's a special dnsmasq config parameter that even the dnsmasq author says should probably not be used.
Thanks, Eric! I'll try that now...

what do you suggest to troubleshoot such dns problems?
As I suggested, first thing is to check the DNS-related settings, such as DNS Mode. People should be using Relaxed if they are connecting to a remote office (so queries within the office's domain would use the office's resolver), or Exclusive when using a public VPN provider where they want all DNS queries to use the VPN's DNS server.

The only reason I keep the Strict option there is that apparently a few users found it useful for their specific use case. Most people shouldn`t use that mode however.

The only reason I keep the Strict option there is that apparently a few users found it useful for their specific use case. Most people shouldn`t use that mode however.
Running DNS over TLS, options I see are Strict or Opportunistic, 386.4 Alpha, AX88U. I've changed to Opportunistic based on recommendation above and haven't seen anything break.

Thank you for posting, I was bored so did a dirty upgrade from 386.3 on my AX88U. Made my network go crazy for a little, split my AiMesh into two networks which caused confusion, devices bouncing back and forth between the two networks, can't update IP messages. Router crashed a few times while I was trying to grab system logs and see if unbound or something else was going causing issues. Reinstalled unbound, redid config for unbound, restarted, factory reset AC3100 node, reconnected and installed new firmware. Seems fine now, including the AiMesh. Saved the system logs, not sure if they would be useful.

Speaking of logs, what is the command to only record important information, so I'm not reading through 'buggy' and other nonsense messages? Searched a few times, always referenced, can't find the command or option.

Speaking of logs, what is the command to only record important information, so I'm not reading through 'buggy' and other nonsense messages? Searched a few times, always referenced, can't find the command or option.
General logs
1630016945777.png

I know what the actual issue is, but I don't have any ETA, neither does Asus (previous attempts at providing an ETA all missed them).
There are rumours in another forum that GPL issue is related to leaking Broadcom SDK. I guess new GPL needs to be audited by Broadcom now?

There are rumours in another forum that GPL issue is related to leaking Broadcom SDK. I guess new GPL needs to be audited by Broadcom now?

If that's the case it will be months longer.

Got rid of scribe and was able to change the log settings.

I am still losing AiMesh and having weird issues with reboots. Narrowed it down to USB drive going again, this would be my second drive going and the 4th wipe and reset on this drive. Or it could be because the node sets up first, an AC3100, it happens way more often when that does not reboot. Then everything goes nuts, the node still connects, I can see the MAC address and the correct 5Ghz connection but its not identified as an AiMesh node and no internet access. All household devices go nuts and bounce between the two identical networks and its barely operable.

Figured I would check to see if I'm missing anything before I do a complete hard factory reset on both routers and wipe the usb drive and start over again. Guess its time to get an external SSD. I was going to partition one and set up a small partition for the AX88U and a large partition for apple devices to use as a timemachine backup. Only time it seems to pop up is with a reset of the AX88U, full AiMesh reset may be okay but I'll see how it does with the scheduled weekly reset tomorrow at 1:00 AM.

I also found out that new iOS 15 beta, and the most recent iOS 14 on the iPads do not get along with router, especially Unbound unless you disable iCloud Private Relay and the privacy settings for the WiFi connection. Apple is getting ridiculous with their privacy controls and I'm starting to miss custom Android Roms.

Are you calling a reboot a reset?

For the USB drive? No, I take it to my laptop, format, take it back to the factory reset (using the WPS key) router, then set up the drive again in amtm when I’m ready.

Then I start over, building to my previous settings that were stable over about a week or two.

It’s been a few months since I’ve had to, they’re cheap Samsung usb drives. This drive has gotten messed up 2 or 3 times, I swapped it after the first one broke.

And thank you for your guides! Got me into this and saved me hours or days troubleshooting.

Will dnsmasq be updated to 2.86 with this alpha?
There are some odd regressions being discussed on the dnsmasq-discuss list from the PiHole guy (Dominik).

I see Merlin is testing 2.86 out with a reversion to nettle instead of openssl since theMiron isn’t around as much anymore to maintain his adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!