What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the reason for disabling 11b on a router? I'm thinking here of a typical home network application, nothing fancy.
to obsolete older clients, so the router/network doesnt have to work to slow down for them?

Hey @RMerlin

Just reporting an issue with Alpha 3. I noticed a new "Disable 11b" in the WiFi General options as found below.
Once disabled, that's it, it's game over for 802.11b. A hard reset was needed to allow 8011b again, I couldn't re-enable it for the life of me.

View attachment 37699

OK couple of questions about this one.

When set to AUTO, the field for "802.11ax / WiFi 6 Mode" appears - I thought this was 5ghz only and shouldn't appear for 2.4ghz?
Why does "b/g protection" appear ticked when you tick "Disable 11b"?

Yep, I've encountered the same Entware installation issue. Looks like the issue is with the /opt directory. I don't have the expertise to fix it myself, unfortunately. So if anyone has a temporary fix, I'd appreciate it :)
Wait to next release, it's fixed there.

What would be the reason for disabling 11b on a router? I'm thinking here of a typical home network application, nothing fancy.

Well keep in mind I actually have no reason to disable it, I was just testing the new UI feature which wasn't there before to see how it worked... (And I found an issue lol!)

But to answer your question; two things come to mind, if you keep WiFi 1 (802.11b) enabled you could be slowing down your whole 2.4GHz frequency if an older device supporting only the old standard jumps on the network and your router has to accommodate for it.
You enable B/G protection (which it is by default as you can see in the screenshot) but that involves more CPU overhead to support the older standards on the router than flat out disabling based on my understanding.

So what if I have no WiFi 1 devices at all, and don't want them on my network, but want to keep WiFi 3 (802.11g) enabled with B/G protection on?
In that use case it would work.

It could also be used to validate no presence of WiFi 1 devices on the network, you could use it for troubleshooting and identifying older gen WiFi devices on the network that get booted off, etc.

OK couple of questions about this one.

When set to AUTO, the field for "802.11ax / WiFi 6 Mode" appears - I thought this was 5ghz only and shouldn't appear for 2.4ghz?
Why does "b/g protection" appear ticked when you tick "Disable 11b"?

WiFi 6 or 802.11ax and its features absolutely supports the 2.4GHz frequency if the client does as well.
Same as the answer above, you could want to disable all 802.11b devices off the network; but want to keep WiFi 3 (G) enabled devices enabled.

But again I was just testing the feature, I don't actually have any 802.11b exclusive devices and I wouldn't care if I did on my 2.4GHz frequency, since in my setup it is mostly used for older devices and IoT, etc.

to obsolete older clients, so the router/network doesnt have to work to slow down for them?

What he said! ;)

Last edited:
When will be next release?

These are alpha builds. Not meant for production. They are meant for folks who are willing to test and find issues so that the final release is ready for production. Merlin will release the next alpha/beta when he feels enough fixes have been done to make to make a next test run.

I say all this as I get the impression from a lot of folks that they are expecting a trouble free upgrade (I see requests to fix things in an Alpha from a number of people). This won't be the case. All the troubleshooting by folks are useful, but be aware that alpha releases are always not trouble free.

Updated main AX86 and Aimesh AC86u units to alpha 3 and so far so good on this end.

Adguard isn't working under DOT. I went back to 386.3_2 and it still isn't working. It must be out.

Last edited:
Well keep in mind I actually have no reason to disable it, I was just testing the new UI feature which wasn't there before to see how it worked... (And I found an issue lol!)

But to answer your question; two things come to mind, if you keep WiFi 1 (802.11b) enabled you could be slowing down your whole 2.4GHz frequency if an older device supporting only the old standard jumps on the network and your router has to accommodate for it.
You enable B/G protection (which it is by default as you can see in the screenshot) but that involves more CPU overhead to support the older standards on the router than flat out disabling based on my understanding.

So what if I have no WiFi 1 devices at all, and don't want them on my network, but want to keep WiFi 3 (802.11g) enabled with B/G protection on?
In that use case it would work.

It could also be used to validate no presence of WiFi 1 devices on the network, you could use it for troubleshooting and identifying older gen WiFi devices on the network that get booted off, etc.

WiFi 6 or 802.11ax and its features absolutely supports the 2.4GHz frequency if the client does as well.
Same as the answer above, you could want to disable all 802.11b devices off the network; but want to keep WiFi 3 (G) enabled devices enabled.

But again I was just testing the feature, I don't actually have any 802.11b exclusive devices and I wouldn't care if I did on my 2.4GHz frequency, since in my setup it is mostly used for older devices and IoT, etc.

What he said! ;)
if i remember correctly, the B/G protection gets disabled (behind the scenes meaning the option should be greyed out) if you have legacy turned off. i.e. - you select one of the newer options like AX AC or N with no legacy. If you are using legacy, it should allow you to choose to enable or disable.

Adguard isn't working under DOT. I went back to 386.3_2 and it still isn't working. It must be out.

AdGuard is making some changes. Wait for them to fix.

If you are using legacy, it should allow you to choose to enable or disable.

It can be enabled, but can't be disabled in GUI after. Bug coming from Asuswrt, the same there.

As this entry says, this is related to remotely connecting to an OpenVPN server. Reaching LAN devices over IPv6 will work, but not redirecting Internet traffic through the VPN.

Thanks.

AdGuard is making some changes. Wait for them to fix.

It can be enabled, but can't be disabled in GUI after. Bug coming from Asuswrt, the same there.
Can you please state what issues AdGuard Home are trying to fix?

I am running 386.3.2 (released version) on AX88U and trying to connect to AdGuard Home (running on my own VPS in the Cloud).

I am able to connect to AdGuard Home if using their release version, but no connection if using AdGuard Home (beta or edge).

Also unable to use TLS client feature like tls://myasusrouter.myvpn.com so that I can identify the queries coming into the VPS as coming from client ‘myasusrouter’. All I see is the dynamic IP address of my router, even if I change this to tls://mytest.myvpn.com, all I get is the IP address of the router. Also, all queries

Hence very interested to know what AdGuard Home is trying to fix... any links or GitHub issue links.

Can you please state what issues AdGuard Home are trying to fix?

I don't know. I believe they are working on new service with user selectable block categories, similar to OpenDNS/NextDNS, etc. I don't use AdGuard services, but I've noticed DNS IP's were changed recently and the Website was updated. I had fast local servers in Toronto, now DoT servers appear down and the only regular one around is somewhere in USA. Definitely something is going on there. Wait and see what they are going to come up with.

DDNS update to No-IP is not working on AC86U running Alpha 4. Update failed and yellow exclamation mark. Issue perhaps reported already.

Dirty upgrade from alpha 2 on an AX88U with an AX68U mesh node, and everything runs fine. No issues at all.

Dirty upgrade from alpha 2 on GT-AX11000 and RT-AX86U and from old alpha 3 to new alpha 3 on RT-AC86U. As previously reported Native IPV6 with Spectrum not working if using Guest Network slot 1 with Access Intranet disabled. I'm working around this by updating IPV6 Firewall rules with firewall-start script to update ip6tables listed in my previous post. Once updated rules are in place, IPV6 working for intranet devices as well as Guest Network slot 2 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!