What's new

[ 386.7 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you brick your RT-AX86U when upgrading to 386.7 Alpha1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to have been a policy change around the time that Asus / Trend Micro / Broadcom [???] raised the red flag over serious abuse of their IP by those who were flashing non-Asus routers with modified Asus/RMerlin firmware. RMerlin's Alpha offerings were, at that time, based on Asus GPL versions numbers not seen as released yet for any router models.
This change is unrelated to the licensing issue. It's on my own request, as the 384 series of firmware were an absolute nightmare for me to manage with all of these mismatched GPL versions, where sometimes I needed to kludge things within the code itself just to make them all work together. Some models needed to use a different model table because their binary blobs were compiled with a different version of that table. So at one point I had to create a spreadsheet to track which model was using which GPL version of the binary blobs.

Often, I was unable to release firmware builds for some of the models, as their older binary blobs were no longer compatible with newer GPL source code. The RT-AX88U had to be compiled from a different code branch (which I had to maintain separately, basically having me maintain two different code bases at the same time).

So before going to 386 I asked Asus that in the future, they provided me with GPL archives that were all based on the same version, to ensure complete compatibility between the source code and the closed source components. Otherwise, I was on the verge of burning out, and dropping the whole project as no longer sustainable for a single developer.

As to whether I get these GPLs based on an official release or not, it depends at which point in time I ask them for GPL archives. The 48966 code I am currently working has been used by them in the past few days for a few model releases.

Hello guys, anyone else with the wan led off in this beta on ax88U? I did a clean install and use dualwan with docsis3.1 and LTE modem.

Hey guys/Merlin,

Please don't crucify me for asking (apologize in advance): I thought Asus would implement WireGuard into AX58U and similar models (reason why I purchased one). Any updates or idea as of when this is expected or no chance and I should install it separately? I was hoping it would be part of a future firmware instead of doing a separate install which I don't feel so confident about. Thanks again and hope the question won't offend. Appreciate all the work you do Merlin!

Welcome to the forums @Andr0med.

Did you read the stickies?

[FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

The first law of buying tech. Buy and keep equipment for the benefits it offers you today (particularly over your current/previous equipment). Do not buy with any expectation (promise/hint/innuendo) of what may or may never come in the future. To do so is simply ignoring the Buyer Beware principle completely. Notice that nobody guarantees anything except what they deliver, now. And even then, if you're reading critically, even less than in most cases. Their lawyers are paid well to protect them, not the customers.

Flash to alpha working and zero issues with network, Thank You RMerlin!
This router and RMerlin fw :cool:
Installed alpha, and again forgot to "safely remove usb" via gui, and again zero issues regarding fw upgrade!
Flashed while Family was awake, and nobody noticed the brief interruption.

Alpha on AX56u appears to fix the WiFi issues with older nest cam devices (and presumably IoT devices others experienced).

This is the first build (Merlin or stock) that has had this resolved since prior to 384.

IPV6 doesn't seem to work in native mode in latest alpha. Can confirm it's working with stock firmware.
GT-AX6000

IPV6 doesn't seem to work in native mode in latest alpha. Can confirm it's working with stock firmware.
GT-AX6000
Must be model pacific because v6 native working perfect on AX58U with this firmware.

Hey guys/Merlin,

Please don't crucify me for asking (apologize in advance): I thought Asus would implement WireGuard into AX58U and similar models (reason why I purchased one). Any updates or idea as of when this is expected or no chance and I should install it separately? I was hoping it would be part of a future firmware instead of doing a separate install which I don't feel so confident about. Thanks again and hope the question won't offend. Appreciate all the work you do Merlin!

[FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

The first law of buying tech. Buy and keep equipment for the benefits it offers you today (particularly over your current/previous equipment). Do not buy with any expectation (promise/hint/innuendo) of what may or may never come in the future. To do so is simply ignoring the Buyer Beware principle completely. Notice that nobody guarantees anything except what they deliver, now. And even then, if you're reading critically, even less than in most cases. Their lawyers are paid well to protect them, not the customers.
I didn't realize wireguard implementation was such a "sensitive" topic. But I should have guessed since @Martineau devoted a great! manager for it (thanks @Martineau for your excellent work!). Keep in mind wireguard implementation is limited to whether the @kernol supports it. IMO asus already provides a great openvpn implementation (so does @RMerlin).

Last edited:
@RMerlin The option to format JFFS partition disappears after a few seconds on the GT-AX6000.

RT-AC86U alpha up as of 46 minutes ago as well. Thanks for the heads-up!
And was probably incorrectly reported (typo) here:

1653779299753.png

And was probably incorrectly reported (typo) here:

View attachment 41467
There was a newer RT-AC68U file that was posted 18 hours ago. Here is what it shows for the RT-AC68U as of this post in the test builds folder:

RT-AC68U_386.7_alpha1-g82406ddc5d.trx (May 12)
RT-AC68U_386.7_alpha1-g8ee6420ea6.trx (18 hours ago)

There was a newer RT-AC68U file that was posted 18 hours ago. Here is what it shows for the RT-AC68U as of this post in the test builds folder:

RT-AC68U_386.7_alpha1-g82406ddc5d.trx (May 12)
RT-AC68U_386.7_alpha1-g8ee6420ea6.trx (18 hours ago)
Yes you are right, sorry for the confusion.

@Andr0med, Asus worked on this less than a year ago: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-386-rc3-1-public-beta.74509/ You could message @ASUSWRT_2020 to see what happened and what will happen. Also not sure why a question became a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!