What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A slight spin on the above, Standard, Deluxe and Premiere.

it seems that amazon app on android doesn't work properly ( error there is a problem with this page )
running latest version of ab solution. If I turn off ab solution all good. any ideas?

Last edited:
I hastily read that AB-Solution will cost. How much will it cost roughly?

Thanks so much!

I hastily read that AB-Solution will cost. How much will it cost roughly?

Thanks so much!
Same price as before: Free as in free beer.

How about "Basic""Standard" and "Pro"?
Based on the likes I'll likely go with these:
AB-Solution 4.0 Basic
AB-Solution 4.0 Standard
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro

However, the distinction between Basic and Standard is not clear with these names. Is there a better word for Standard? Thesaurus and synonyms fail me in finding a better name for it. Short and to the point would be perfect!

Based on the likes I'll likely go with these:
AB-Solution 4.0 Basic
AB-Solution 4.0 Standard
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro

However, the distinction between Basic and Standard is not clear with these names. Is there a better word for Standard? Thesaurus and synonyms fail me in finding a better name for it. Short and to the point would be perfect!

Perhaps there should only be two. Standard would be Basic. Eliminates the naming problem. :)

AB-Solution 4.0 Basic
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro

Just a thought!

Perhaps there should only be two. Standard would be Basic. Eliminates the naming problem. :)

AB-Solution 4.0 Basic
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro

Just a thought!
Read the post again where I listed the features of the three versions.

Is the 4.0 Pro version available for Christmas already? :):D

Is the 4.0 Pro version available for Christmas already? :):D
That's the day after tomorrow or in three days, depending how you define Christmas.
It'll be out by then I hope, on Xmas 2018 :D

Perhaps "Lite". If I understand it, this will be a no-entware, no-pixelserv, no WebUI version.

Then Standard will be most single installs.

Pro will be for people managing multiple routers?

Perhaps "Lite". If I understand it, this will be a no-entware, no-pixelserv, no WebUI version.

Then Standard will be most single installs.

Pro will be for people managing multiple routers?
Sounds good to me:
AB-Solution 4.0 Lite (no pixelserv)
AB-Solution 4.0 Standard (ps and WebUI)
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro (ps and WebUI, manage installation on several routers)

I have decided that all installations will require Entware and install it unceremoniously if not present, even the basic Lite version.
This way I can handle upgrades a lot better. And it allows for consistent system wide paths and the simple start and manage command of 'ab-solution' for all.

Sounds good to me:
AB-Solution 4.0 Lite (no pixelserv)
AB-Solution 4.0 Standard (ps and WebUI)
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro (ps and WebUI, manage installation on several routers)

I have decided that all installations will require Entware and install it unceremoniously if not present, even the basic Lite version.
This way I can handle upgrades a lot better. And it allows for consistent system wide paths and the simple start and manage command of 'ab-solution' for all.

Suggestion:
As the naming is now somewhat 'quantitative' in nature, how about changing the 'Pro' to 'Max'.
'Lite --> Standard --> Max' is easy to understand without needing to know the fine details.

Same price as before: Free as in free beer.

Wow! You are truly amazing! But, I not understand one thing: if AB-Solution is free, why are there more version? Only for features?

For example:
If I would like to install Ab-solution without pixelserv, I will install basic version.
The way of thinking is correct?

Thanks so much as always!

Wow! You are truly amazing! But, I not understand one thing: if AB-Solution is free, why are there more version? Only for features?

For example:
If I would like to install Ab-solution without pixelserv, I will install basic version.
The way of thinking is correct?

Thanks so much as always!
The install process is simplified and completely different in AB4. I need to know what you plan to do at the beginning so I can install accordingly.
Hence the three editions. Upgrade is always possible later.
AB will install everything after a few questions are answered. You will be able to customize AB after installation.

Hey, first of all, amazing work on this, this along with some of the other tools like Skynet etc has changed my experience completely which made my Asus router upgrade (purchase) feel like one of the best purchases I've ever made.

My question is regarding Entware as I saw you might be pushing it as 'obligatory' in your future update, even in your lite version. I've always used Optware and been happy with everything. At some points I've thought about upgrading to Entware, but I never saw anything like "this might make the change worth it" and in the end just left it as it is. Along with (this might be old info or I might be misinformed) that I would need an external drive of some kind for Entware. I use an external drive where I store all my stuff and a 8GB USB stick (formatted properly for its purpose) which has AB Solution and so on.
So one of the reasons that always turned me down with Entware, is that I needed to move my stuff from the harddrive, format it properly in its linux format. Then get a program so it can be recognized in Windows so I could move back the stuff and then I could install Entware on it. So I never bothered with it.

So basically what I would like to know. How would it affect me? If you would be pushing Entware in your future updates, would I need to do the whole procedure such as turning off Optware, getting a hard drive ready for it. Or would it install in my 8GB USB stick I'm using now and if it did, would it affect performance? My questions may seem newbish and maybe stupid. I've been following this forum since the day I found out about Merlin and I'm updated on information, but when it comes to technical info sometimes, I might feel a bit lost.

Thank you again for all the work you've done

So basically what I would like to know. How would it affect me? If you would be pushing Entware in your future updates, would I need to do the whole procedure such as turning off Optware, getting a hard drive ready for it. Or would it install in my 8GB USB stick I'm using now and if it did, would it affect performance? My questions may seem newbish and maybe stupid. I've been following this forum since the day I found out about Merlin and I'm updated on information, but when it comes to technical info sometimes, I might feel a bit lost.
I'm moving on in the right direction with AB-Solution. There will be some tears and complaints but I have to get ahead and do what I long since wanted to do and many users expect and pleaded with me. I had unpleasant arguments with users why AB is not more portable.
I'm only going to do the porting once and I'm well into it now.

Your 8GB USB device will be more than sufficient to run everything on it: AB with Entware, Skynet and what other scripts you may have.
Optware will not be an option to run alongside. It has to go to make Entware work. I have all these installed on a 500MB USB device on one of my routers, with a 265MB Swap file on it too.
Performance is dependent on the device capabilities. My two routers with USB3 sticks perform a lot better than the USB2 ones.

This needs to be known @Goldeneyez and the rest of the AB users:
AB3 will be available to install/reinstall even when AB4 is out.
AB4 will have it's own install and update directory on the server.
However, AB3 will not get any more updates once AB4 is out.

Thank you a lot for the answers!
Just some follow up questions. I've been using Transmission with Optware. If I were to install Entware on my USB stick (USB 2.0 btw) and then afterwards install Transmission (or the other torrent client) in it. Can I select my other hard drive to be the default download drive as I have it now? Or would I have to format it with the linux format as well to be able to select it?
Also if I at some point I would remove the USB stick (might purchase a 3.0 instead. Would anything break while it's not connected? Could I simply just format the 3.0, reinstall everything there and it would work as normal?

(Edit: Just got answered above before I posted, unless you meant updates as for the platform and host files etc would still continue being updated as normal)
If I would decide to go on with the current AB Solution I have now. Will it auto update to 4 when it arrives? and if it doesn't, would it mean that it would just not be able to be updated with updated host files in the future?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.