What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same price as before: Free as in free beer.
just don't break the seal!

Seriously, this is going to be really great.

what I would LOVE - and I rather hope that this is what's meant by WebUI - is a tab in the Merlin Firmware, much like kvic's NTP add-on script can do.

Get that accomplished so I can tweak things up all in one place and I'll send more bitcoin to you AND finally some to @RMerlin himself

Last edited:
Thank you a lot for the answers!
Just some follow up questions. I've been using Transmission with Optware. If I were to install Entware on my USB stick (USB 2.0 btw) and then afterwards install Transmission (or the other torrent client) in it. Can I select my other hard drive to be the default download drive as I have it now? Or would I have to format it with the linux format as well to be able to select it?
Also if I at some point I would remove the USB stick (might purchase a 3.0 instead. Would anything break while it's not connected? Could I simply just format the 3.0, reinstall everything there and it would work as normal?

(Edit: Just got answered above before I posted, unless you meant updates as for the platform and host files etc would still continue being updated as normal)
If I would decide to go on with the current AB Solution I have now. Will it auto update to 4 when it arrives? and if it doesn't, would it mean that it would just not be able to be updated with updated host files in the future?

Thanks again
AB-Solution never auto-updated itself. The blocking file is auto-updated weekly. But these hosts files are not on my server. Even if I woud throw in the towel and shut down my server, your AB installation continues to work as long as IPv4 is a valid protocol on your router. Whitch it will be for at least another 47 years, being just over 47 years old now.

just don't break the seal!

Seriously, this is going to be really great.

what I would LOVE - and I rather hope that this is what's meant by WebUI - is a tab in the Merlin Firmware, much like kvic's NTP add-on script can do.

Get that accomplished so I can tweak things up all in one place and I'll send more bitcoin to you AND finally some to @RMerlin himself
What the AB WebUI does and can do is not possible in the restricted asus webserver. I install a separate webserver. But there will be a link in the router webUI, no separate login, they're the same.

Canadian joke @thelonelycoder : "breaking the seal" refers to how often one must...uhh, make more room for more beer...after breaking the seal that was in place until then to hold the beer in.
@skeal @RMerlin back me up on this one...maybe you can explain better.

Canadian joke @thelonelycoder : "breaking the seal" refers to how often one must...uhh, make more room for more beer...after breaking the seal that was in place until then to hold the beer in.
@skeal @RMerlin back me up on this one...maybe you can explain better.
Aha, I've only been to Toronto, Calgary and the Rockies and a good while in the Yukon Territory. That's not part of Canada for some...

I'm just across the lake from Toronto in the Wine Country, just downhill from Niagara Falls. next time you're in the neighbourhood, let me know and I'll take you for a tour

I'm just across the lake from Toronto in the Wine Country, just downhill from Niagara Falls. next time you're in the neighbourhood, let me know and I'll take you for a tour
I've seen the falls and been to that part back in the 90's. Might be worth to visit again. Nova Scotia and PEI is still on my list.

Based on the likes I'll likely go with these:
AB-Solution 4.0 Basic
AB-Solution 4.0 Standard
AB-Solution 4.0 Pro

Why not Standard, Plus and Pro?
AB-Solution isn’t just a “Basic” solution ;)

Oh I forgot.... my first message on this forum.

I've seen the falls and been to that part back in the 90's. Might be worth to visit again. Nova Scotia and PEI is still on my list.
It has changed quite a bit...

Why not Standard, Plus and Pro?
AB-Solution isn’t just a “Basic” solution ;)

Oh I forgot.... my first message on this forum.
Welcome fellow human living on the same continent!

The standard installation is with pixelserv, by far outnumbering the non-pixelserv installations according to my logs.
That will be no different with AB4. Few will use the pro version because initial setup requires some planning.

I'm assuming the webui has a heavier footprint than the menu driven version, and some might not want to add that load. Might be entirely wrong about that, but that is a definite step up in user-friendliness and has to come with a cost. That's why I think "lite" works without implying it is less. I think I would end up there.

If you are going to install Entware anyway (+1 for that), then why not have the lowest tier be the full 3.11 experience? The whole script isn't a load on the router, its when you add the blocking file and IPtables and cert generation that you sorta (not much) load up the router, and the 3.11 script lets you control how big a list, whether you do pixelserv. Outside of that, whether you add skynet.

Then you might end up with:

Ab-Solution Lite 1.0 (SSH driven)
Ab-Solution Standard 1.0 (WebUI driven)
Ab-Solution Pro 1.0 (WebUI driven, for managing multiple routers)

I think you might be iterating the version numbers separately after that, because you won't be iterating Lite (maybe if 382 requires more).

I'm assuming the webui has a heavier footprint than the menu driven version, and some might not want to add that load. Might be entirely wrong about that, but that is a definite step up in user-friendliness and has to come with a cost. That's why I think "lite" works without implying it is less. I think I would end up there.

If you are going to install Entware anyway (+1 for that), then why not have the lowest tier be the full 3.11 experience? The whole script isn't a load on the router, its when you add the blocking file and IPtables and cert generation that you sorta (not much) load up the router, and the 3.11 script lets you control how big a list, whether you do pixelserv. Outside of that, whether you add skynet.

Then you might end up with:

Ab-Solution Lite 1.0 (SSH driven)
Ab-Solution Standard 1.0 (WebUI driven)
Ab-Solution Pro 1.0 (WebUI driven, for managing multiple routers)

I think you might be iterating the version numbers separately after that, because you won't be iterating Lite (maybe if 382 requires more).
AB4, irrespective of the edition, will run on a completely new code basis. No matter what edition you install, it will be the same code, only additional addons are loaded for std and pro.
As with any webserver, if there is no load, the system barely uses memlry or proc cycles. That is what I see here. The webUI is built with the limited capabilities in mind, no fancy stuff. Still, it looks slick and acts quick and responds very well on my 1900P.

I've mentioned it before: AB4 has nearly the same terminal UI as AB3, irrespective of the edition installed.
Turning AB on or off only requires a simple command, no need to open the UI:
ab-solution disable
or
ab-solution tail
or
ab-solution logging off
And so forth.

We all know that when drinking beer you don't want to take a pee or you won't stop going every 25 minutes. This in Canada is referred to as "Breaking the Seal". Once the seal is disturbed you're going all the time (men and woman). So on these holidays try to keep the seal....lol.

It's a shame you updated from 3.11 so quickly, I thought you were honouring the 24th anniversary of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 :D.

Windows_for_Workgroups.png

Happy Christmas.

It's a shame you updated from 3.11 so quickly, I thought you were honouring the 24th anniversary of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 :D.

Windows_for_Workgroups.png

Happy Christmas.
I remember the Network setup in 3.11 and the endless driver problems in NT4.
But I did miss that anniversary. 3.11 had to get out to make room for 4.0 development.
Let me check when NT4 was released... August 24 1996. Plenty of time for me then.

We all know that when drinking beer you don't want to take a pee or you won't stop going every 25 minutes. This in Canada is referred to as "Breaking the Seal". Once the seal is disturbed you're going all the time (men and woman). So on these holidays try to keep the seal....lol.

Bob and Doug McKenzie - 12 Days of (Canadian) Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.