What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hosts.dnsmasq contains the host ips and names on the network all local addresses.

should I add the pixel servr address to that list? as it is not in there.
No, dont do that. AB is mature enough to know what's best.
Your problem is elsewhere then. AB only provides the logfile for you to see those IPv6 requests.

hosts.dnsmasq contains the host ips and names on the network all local addresses.

should I add the pixel servr address to that list? as it is not in there.
What else do you add in dnsmasq.conf.add that is not shown in the dnsmasq.conf?
And are these host names and IPv4 addresses only in hosts.dnsmasq?

and what is stranger is this.it actually got the ip6 ip address from this forum. what would cause this and how does ip4 understand ip6. I am baffled after this. and no thing ip6 on this system.
Both ipv4 and ipv6 name servers will return both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses. That's what you are seeing logged, the ipv6 addresses returned by the ipv4 server.

BTW...this is what the problem is in running most VPNs (ipv4 only) in a dual stack environment. The ipv4 name server returns an ipv6 address which then causes a leak to ipv6 outside the VPN tunnel.

And @jack901, are there any IPv6 addresses in the blacklist?

BTW...this is what the problem is in running most VPNs (ipv4 only) in a dual stack environment.
VPN only then, as I don't see it here on the LAN.

Both ipv4 and ipv6 name servers will return both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses. That's what you are seeing logged, the ipv6 addresses returned by the ipv4 server.

BTW...this is what the problem is in running most VPNs (ipv4 only) in a dual stack environment. The ipv4 name server returns an ipv6 address which then causes a leak to ipv6 outside the VPN tunnel.
Are you saying that you will get an IPv6 address returned by an IPv4 name server even if you only make an IPv4 request?........ the only IPv6 addresses i normally see in my dnsmasq log are the DHCP discover/request/offer/acknowledge to the client machines..... Are the IPv6 responses suppressed somewhere else?

Are you saying that you will get an IPv6 address returned by an IPv4 name server even if you only make an IPv4 request?........ the only IPv6 addresses i normally see in my dnsmasq log are the DHCP discover/request/offer/acknowledge to the client machines..... Are the IPv6 responses suppressed somewhere else?
I wonder if I have to add the IPv6 blocking entries anyway if AAAA queries are found in the log files.
Despite the service being disabled.

AFAIK....dnsmasq is compiled with IPv6 support. So if you make a DNS request to an IPv4 DNS server, that server can also return IPv6 addresses if they exist and dnsmasq will see them. If you have IPv6 enabled, the IPv6 addresses will then take precedence. If no IPv6, then the IPv4 address is used.

AFAIK....dnsmasq is compiled with IPv6 support. So if you make a DNS request to an IPv4 DNS server, that server can also return IPv6 addresses if they exist and dnsmasq will see them. If you have IPv6 enabled, the IPv6 addresses will then take precedence. If no IPv6, then the IPv4 address is used.
Yes i understand that dnsmasq has IPv6 support compiled in.... so for example, when i use my MacBook the "happy eyeballs" algorithm will kick in and make an IPv4 and an IPv6 name request. This i see in my dnsmasq logs..... For @jack901, when he requests a blocked domain, it seems his IPv6 request is passed upstream even though his IPv4 request is blocked.... in my case neither the IPv4 or IPv6 requests are forwarded upstream. Is there a setting somewhere ( nvram value perhaps) that is fooling the router into believing that IPv6 is enabled?
Or is this just the artefacts of a poorly configured VPN (DNS leaks)

Please help, I'd like to try to get this working on my RT-AC68U with 2 HDs mounted with other data on them. I copied the curl command, pasted it into Putty after toggling yes to 'Format JFFS partition at next boot' & 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' then rebooting. After reboot 'Format JFFS partition at next boot" is toggled no.

I receive an "AB Solution.sh not found".

Will AB Solution work using HDs with data on them rather than USB stick? If so, I'm doing something incorrectly.

Thank you.

Please help, I'd like to try to get this working on my RT-AC68U with 2 HDs mounted with other data on them. I copied the curl command, pasted it into Putty after toggling yes to 'Format JFFS partition at next boot' & 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' then rebooting. After reboot 'Format JFFS partition at next boot" is toggled no.

I receive an "AB Solution.sh not found".

Will AB Solution work using HDs with data on them rather than USB stick? If so, I'm doing something incorrectly.

Thank you.
As it explained to you, after the reboot you have to enter the curl command again.
It will work with HDD's as long as one of them is formatted in a compatible format. See website for more details.

Hi all thank you for the help I now seem to have one more problem I am still getting ads on YouTube videos

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC3200 380.65-0 Fri Feb 3 05:20:08 UTC 2017
admin20@home-network:/tmp/home/root# ./ab-solution.sh
_ ___ ___ _ _ _
/_\ | _ )___/ __| ___| |_ _| |_(_)___ _ _
/ _ \| _ \___\__ \/ _ \ | || | _| / _ \ ' \
/_/ \_\___/ |___/\___/_|\_,_|\__|_\___/_||_|

Welcome
This is AB-Solution 3.6.5 [3.6.5.0]

looking for an installation
found AB-Solution on /tmp/mnt/sda1
checking installation state
updating ads counter