What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing amtm & ab-solution from 0. when selecting ps it does not offer's me to choose between 32 or 64 bit, how do I choose it? (I'm trying it on an AC88U)
AFAIK The only 64bit router is the AC86U

My brand new shiny RT-AC86U is supposed to be arriving tomorrow and the first thing I plan on doing is loading Merlins v384.4. What I was hoping is for someone to point me in the right direction to the info on what to load next, etc...

Thanks in advance for anyone's help for a smooth transition.

You won't be disappointed :)

I had mine delivered last week, sadly first one came and power switch when turning router off (power button comes out a little) it was sticking and not coming out all the way and was definitely going to break off eventually, so check the power switch! i didn't and after first installing merlin within minutes of receiving it once i made sure all looked ok on asus original firmware and configuring manually, took me about an hour or even 2 to only find i had to pack it back up.

Anyway i had ac68u prior to it and this is a monster in comparison, running/updating/processing scripts is so fast now and even rebooting router is so quick it reboots before i noticed as with rt-ac68 i would be waiting around a bit for it to reboot.

Loving it and now getting full line speed over vpn client and couldn't on ac68u, not tried vpn server as not got around to doing it yet. Enjoy! when it comes i know i am lol, i was like a kid with a new toy when it came ha.

@thelonelycoder I've notice with a new USB drive that is way bigger than the one I was using (switched from a 4GB to a 16GB) takes longer to respond to any command I put, does it has anything to do with the size?
For thesting purposes I use much larger drives than 16GB and never noticed any difference in how the AB-Solution code or the addons it uses such as Entware, pixelserv-tls or Dnsmasq.
The only time I notice slowness is when I use one of my very slow 16GB USB-3 sticks.

For thesting purposes I use much larger drives than 16GB and never noticed any difference in how the AB-Solution code or the addons it uses such as Entware, pixelserv-tls or Dnsmasq.
The only time I notice slowness is when I use one of my very slow 16GB USB-3 sticks.

I agree.

Recently I used 256GB samsung ssd drive without any problems for ab-solution, skynet, dnscrypt and deluge as well.

@thelonelycoder Hey man I just upgrade my router and do a fresh install, everything is working perfectly but I noticed a little thing in the script's test router results.

I don't use TrendMicro's AiProtection/Network Protection at all and I didn't even accept the agreement yet so it was never activated and the Web GUI shows that:

01e3bee4eebc7086b586800698032b2c.jpg

But in the test router results it shows as enabled:

37da4d9971543273738f17907ce87480.jpg

So is it a bug in the script OR the network protection is still running without me enabling it?

P.S I don't remember if it was like this on my old router too :/

So is it a bug in the script OR the network protection is still running without me enabling it?
It's not a bug, this is a feature!
I check for the actual setting in nvram and you have "Malicious Sites Blocking" and "Two-Way IPS" enabled. If you enable AiProtection and then switch the two to off and then disable AiProtection you will find that it shows all green in rc.

Last edited:
It's not a bug, this is a feature!
I check for the actual setting in nvram and you have "Malicious Sites Blocking" and "Two-Way IPS" enabled. If you enable AiProtection and then switch the two to off and then disable AiProtection you will find that it shows all green in rc.

Oh yes you're absolutely right, now it's reporting off in the script too.

The WebGUI is misleading then, I thought I never enabled it so the gray foreground on the toggles means they are off and disabled even if it shows enabled there [emoji849]

My son is experiencing blank youtube videos on his ipad mini before the video that he wants to watch which does eventually play. Presumably the duration of the blank screen is the duration of the advert that would have been shown but is now getting blocked.

Is there a way to stop this or is it a case of white listing that particular ad domain and letting the ad play properly?

My son is experiencing blank youtube videos on his ipad mini before the video that he wants to watch which does eventually play. Presumably the duration of the blank screen is the duration of the advert that would have been shown but is now getting blocked.

Is there a way to stop this or is it a case of white listing that particular ad domain and letting the ad play properly?
At a convenient time, grab your sons iPad mini along with a link to such a video.
- Open AB-Solution and enter f, option 1.
- Open the youtube link on the iPad and look for lines "/adblocking/blocking_file domain.com is <blocking IP>" and make a good guess which "domain.com" is the one blocking it.
- Then whitelist the domain and process the file. If it works now you're done. Else remove it from the whitelist and whitelist the next best guess of "domain.com". Repeat until success.

Then return the iPad to the deprived son and have him check it for himself. Or, even better, make that a educational session for both of you and let him help doing it.

Last edited:
I am a new AB-Solution user. Using the latest built.

I noticed that when I establish an OpenVPN session in my ASUS WRT-Merlin AC88U router, running the latest firmware, AB-Solutions stops working properly. Looking at the AB console all looks fine, but when I visit sites while on VPN, the ads appear. The second I stop the VPN session and reload a page, the ads are blocked.

Is there a setting I need to change to enable AB under an OpenVPN session?

Thanks.

I am trying to install ab solution but get this
checking firmware capability: LAN IP port 80
router listens only on LAN IP port 80,
continuing...

checking internet access with Level 3 DNS

Level 3 did not respond, trying Google DNS

and update ends. Internet working fine. any ideas?

I am a new AB-Solution user. Using the latest built.

I noticed that when I establish an OpenVPN session in my ASUS WRT-Merlin AC88U router, running the latest firmware, AB-Solutions stops working properly. Looking at the AB console all looks fine, but when I visit sites while on VPN, the ads appear. The second I stop the VPN session and reload a page, the ads are blocked.

Is there a setting I need to change to enable AB under an OpenVPN session?

Thanks.
In the VPN Server advanced settings set "Respond to DNS" to yes.

I am trying to install ab solution but get this
checking firmware capability: LAN IP port 80
router listens only on LAN IP port 80,
continuing...

checking internet access with Level 3 DNS

Level 3 did not respond, trying Google DNS

and update ends. Internet working fine. any ideas?
Try to ping either 209.244.0.3 (Level 3) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) from the SSH terminal.
If ping times out, find out why.

Try to ping either 209.244.0.3 (Level 3) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) from the SSH terminal.
If ping times out, find out why.
I had a situation where Skynet blocked 8.8.8.8. I whitelisted it in order to resolve.

I had a situation where Skynet blocked 8.8.8.8. I whitelisted it in order to resolve.
You don't happen to have any Chromecast or Roku devices on your network by chance, do you?

In doing analysis, these devices seem to REALLY want to communicate with Google to establish keepalive/connectivity and it seems to be autobanned by Skynet after some time with multiple devices constantly trying to chat with the Goog.

You don't happen to have any Chromecast or Roku devices on your network by chance, do you?

In doing analysis, these devices seem to REALLY want to communicate with Google to establish keepalive/connectivity and it seems to be autobanned by Skynet after some time with multiple devices constantly trying to chat with the Goog.
Actually, one if each. That could be the cause...

Thanks for info!

Actually, one if each. That could be the cause...

Thanks for info!
Thank you for potentially confirming something. I don't know if we can fully isolate autobanning as the cause, but at least if it is Skynet then we know that if you've got autobanning enabled then it is doing its job as intended.

Obviously it's up to @Adamm to determine whether a default whitelist of 8.8.8.8 is warranted in the default config.

:rolleyes: Try two Chromecasts, five Google Home devices, one Smart TV that all are constantly pinging 8.8.8.8. Even in the Smart TV where I can manually configure DNS, it keeps reverting to 8.8.8.8. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.