What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there any advantage for AB if dnsmasq is replaced with FTLDNS ?

FTLDNS wraps DNSmasq as-is inside it and ensures consistency and speed in their statistics collection. That's about it. By doing so, they also export through "API" to allow other people (such as ABS) to retrieve those statistics.

It's an interesting science project in itself but of little utility. Pi-Hole seems to me heading the wrong direction by creating this FTLDNS.

The reason I think so because to start with getting the statistics from Dnsmasq (Pi-Hole currently parsing Dnsmasq logs and in future from FTLDNS) is not very useful but eye candy. It also doesn't speed up your browsing experience in any way.

Pi-Hole with their resources should have done quite a few things in a better way. One project could be to start a competitor to pixelserv-tls or simply integrates it.

pixelserv-tls not only allows people to collect much more meaningful statistics and hence fancier charts but also accelerate people's browsing experience.

FTLDNS wraps DNSmasq as-is inside it and ensures consistency and speed in their statistics collection. That's about it. By doing so, they also export through "API" to allow other people (such as ABS) to retrieve those statistics.

It's an interesting science project in itself but of little utility. Pi-Hole seems to me heading the wrong direction by creating this FTLDNS.

The reason I think so because to start with getting the statistics from Dnsmasq (Pi-Hole currently parsing Dnsmasq logs and in future from FTLDNS) is not very useful but eye candy. It also doesn't speed up your browsing experience in any way.

Pi-Hole with their resources should have done quite a few things in a better way. One project could be to start a competitor to pixelserv-tls or simply integrates it.

pixelserv-tls not only allows people to collect much more meaningful statistics and hence fancier charts but also accelerate people's browsing experience.
Makes sense. They want to make it look cool, not functional.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Makes sense. They want to make it look cool, not functional.

People have preferences. So we have varieties. That's good. In Open Source, I believe there are more opportunities in cooperation than rivalry. Often take time to realise a useful tool, out there and ready for use.

If you asked me a new performance feature, I would suggest what @elorimer can't forget since last x'mas. But seems he hasn't moved a needle after the initial success of 7 ppl recently. The conversation was in this post. :)

I downgraded to 380.69_2 this evening and am trying to install AB-Solution again, through amtm. However, when installing Entware and pixelserv through AB-Solution, I keep getting the same error. When checking it's own state, it keeps saying:

Code:
 exiting AB-Solution
 checking installation state
/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls: .: line 31: can't open '/opt/etc/init.d/rc.func'

--------------------- Message ----------------------

AB-Solution found errors in your installation.
 This needs to be fixed before leaving.

I tried to install the pixelserv beta (also through amtm) to see if it that would solve things but the issue remains. Any suggestions how to resolve this? I never had this before?

I manually reinstalled entware (the new release) using entware-setup.sh and performed opkg update and opkg upgrade twice and then switched back to AB-Solution. It asked me to verify my entware installation and then reported the following error:

Code:
./ab-solution.sh: line 1298: /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls: Permission denied
 pixelserv-tls is not running

Hmmm... I tried 'updating' pixelserv through AB-Solution (which by basically means downgrading to current stable version 2.0.1), got a message to enter 22 again to check for errors, and now all errors are gone? Don't know what I have done exactly but apparently things got sorted out...

well for the life of me, I can't get pixelslerv-tls to re-install..
I can get ab-solution to install fine, but pixelserv.tls fails with

- package pixelserv-tls is still not available

it seems to install entware fine tho..

Using new USB key..
Factory reset the ac-3100 router..

Now getting this error and any command in ab-solution

cu./ab-solution.sh: /tmp/mnt/Router/adblocking/addon/functions.add: line 1: ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
./ab-solution.sh: line 1: check_for_updates: not found

My iPhone x keeps pinging google DNS 8.8.8.8 every 30secs or so
My chromecast audio keeps on pinging some other 8.8.8.8 all the time.
My chromecast also keeps pinging 8.8.8.8, even if blocked it doesn't affect connectivity at all. I'm assuming it just falls back to be my default dns (set up through dsncrpyt).

This is strange, after I try to install the pixelserv.tls the folder on the USB key gets locked, can't read or write to it with putty or winscp.

Google is known to hardcode their DNS server in some of their apps.

I am a new AB-Solution user. Using the latest built.

I noticed that when I establish an OpenVPN session in my ASUS WRT-Merlin AC88U router, running the latest firmware, AB-Solutions stops working properly. Looking at the AB console all looks fine, but when I visit sites while on VPN, the ads appear. The second I stop the VPN session and reload a page, the ads are blocked.

Is there a setting I need to change to enable AB under an OpenVPN session?

Thanks.
If you have Policy Rules enabled, ABS will not work over the tunnel unless you make some config changes. It has to do with the way DNS is handled when using Policy Rules. I explain this in more detail and have documented the changes you will need to make here https://x3mtek.com/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware/

Last edited:
@thelonelycoder Just happened in the last couple minutes. Every time snbforums page loads this message displays:
Asuswrt Merlin   SmallNetBuilder Forums.png

@thelonelycoder I don't know how your ad-blocking works ('cos I don't use it) but you might need to whitelist these and possibly others:

aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com

@thelonelycoder I don't know how your ad-blocking works ('cos I don't use it) but you might need to whitelist these and possibly others:

aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com

Added these to the whitelist.txt. Higgin's popups still occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.