What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have R7000 router with xwrt-vortex, i have dnscrypt and ab-solution 3.6.5 installed, i use shooter file list, but some sites are blocked, so i add them to the whitelist and process it, but i still cannot access the site unless i turn off ab-solution, anyone else have these problems, where can i look, thanks
You usually don't have to whitelist the domain of the website you want to visit.
More likely, one of the ads providers blocks your access if it can't be loaded.
Use the (f) function with option 2, then open the the site in a browser and look at what is blocked.
Add one at a time to the whitelist and repeat.
Note that this is global, meaning if you ad the usual ads provider websites to the whitelist, you'll see ads on all devices from that domain.

Tried to change the blocking file tonight. Originally configured with built-in choice 2. Wanted to try built-in choice 1. The new host files are failing to download. Tried running the update manually as well with same result ... any suggestions?

running update-hosts.add v3.6.5.1.1 in verbose mode

using temporary update-hosts file to lower
memory usage while updating

downloading Standard blocking files
using "172.16.1.2" as blocking IP
adding "::" as IPv6 blocking IP, service is enabled

getting hosts file 1, preprocessing file...
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

download hosts file 1 failed, using backup file

getting hosts file 2, preprocessing file...
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/hosts

download hosts file 2 failed, using backup file

getting hosts file 3, preprocessing file...
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serve...&showintro=0&mimetype=plaintext&useip=0.0.0.0

download hosts file 3 failed, using backup file
Paste the download URL into your browser and see if it downloads the file.
If not, you have an access problem to these websites.
AB tries several times before giving up and presenting the download failed message.

You usually don't have to whitelist the domain of the website you want to visit.
More likely, one of the ads providers blocks your access if it can't be loaded.
Use the (f) function with option 2, then open the the site in a browser and look at what is blocked.
Add one at a time to the whitelist and repeat.
Note that this is global, meaning if you ad the usual ads provider websites to the whitelist, you'll see ads on all devices from that domain.

ddlvalley.cool is the site i try access and this is what i get
Mar 14 09:49:12 dnsmasq[3524]: /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/blocking_file www.ddlvalley.cool is 0.0.0.0

so i add it to the whitelist and still get that it is being blocked
Mar 14 09:55:31 dnsmasq[3524]: /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/blocking_file www.ddlvalley.cool is 0.0.0.0

its like its not reading the whitelist entries, i used to use ab-solution v3 and didnt have problems, only recently when i updated to 3.6.5

ddlvalley.cool is the site i try access and this is what i get
Mar 14 09:49:12 dnsmasq[3524]: /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/blocking_file www.ddlvalley.cool is 0.0.0.0

so i add it to the whitelist and still get that it is being blocked
Mar 14 09:55:31 dnsmasq[3524]: /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/blocking_file www.ddlvalley.cool is 0.0.0.0

its like its not reading the whitelist entries, i used to use ab-solution v3 and didnt have problems, only recently when i updated to 3.6.5
Did you PROCESS the whitelist after editing, just as it says? Works with exact mentioned domain as intended here.

Edit: Clear your OSs DNS cache as well as your browser cache.

Last edited:
Paste the download URL into your browser and see if it downloads the file.
If not, you have an access problem to these websites.
AB tries several times before giving up and presenting the download failed message.
Thanks for the reply. a couple updates ...

I should have mentioned that I can access each of the download sites with no problem. I also tried checking for updates for ab-solution (CU) and that failed as well even though I can browse to the absolution website with no problem.

I decided to shut down my PC for the night and wait to see if things resolved on their own. This morning, I tried the update again and they all downloaded immediately, so the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks again.

Did you PROCESS the whitelist after editing, just as it says? Works with exact mentioned domain as intended here.

Edit: Clear your OSs DNS cache as well as your browser cache.
thanks for such quick replies,
yes i did press 3 to process whitelist after editing, i ran flushdns on my system and cleared my cache, also tried another pc, but just says dns resolution cannot be found.
The only time i can get to the website is if i disable ab-solution, or when running the update which i guess also disables ab-solution while updating
I am gonna try reset my router and run firmware update and hope that helps,
thanks for your help so far

thanks for such quick replies,
yes i did press 3 to process whitelist after editing, i ran flushdns on my system and cleared my cache, also tried another pc, but just says dns resolution cannot be found.
The only time i can get to the website is if i disable ab-solution, or when running the update which i guess also disables ab-solution while updating
I am gonna try reset my router and run firmware update and hope that helps,
thanks for your help so far
did you whitelist www.ddlvalley.cool or just ddlvalley.cool ? AB solution no longer wildcards hosts, so these will be treated as separate domains. You will need the exact match

did you whitelist www.ddlvalley.cool or just ddlvalley.cool ? AB solution no longer wildcards hosts, so these will be treated as separate domains. You will need the exact match

i whitelisted ddlvalley.cool, it happens to a few sites i want to whitelist aswell, i reset my router and formatted my usb and tried from scratch but still the same,
So i edited the blocking file using nano and removed ddlvalley.cool and a few other sites and then ran ab-solution, used "el" and then "3" to process the list and then it works perfectly, so i have no idea what is happening if no one else has the problem either. it really seems as though the whitelist is not being processed properly

i whitelisted ddlvalley.cool, it happens to a few sites i want to whitelist aswell, i reset my router and formatted my usb and tried from scratch but still the same,
So i edited the blocking file using nano and removed ddlvalley.cool and a few other sites and then ran ab-solution, used "el" and then "3" to process the list and then it works perfectly, so i have no idea what is happening if no one else has the problem either. it really seems as though the whitelist is not being processed properly
there is an exact match for ddlvalley.cool as well an exact match for www.ddlvalley.cool
You will have to whitelist www.ddlvalley.cool if you want prevent blocking of that specific domain.
When you process the list it will remove the www.ddlvalley.cool entry , which is the same thing that you are doing manually with nano.

there is an exact match for ddlvalley.cool as well an exact match for www.ddlvalley.cool
You will have to whitelist www.ddlvalley.cool if you want prevent blocking of that specific domain.
When you process the list it will remove the www.ddlvalley.cool entry , which is the same thing that you are doing manually with nano.
no exact match found in blocking file for
www.ddlvalley.cool
no need to add it to the whitelist

no near matches found either

Hit [Enter] to return

but when i updated the blocking file again, there was an entry for www.ddlvalley.cool, so i added it to the whitelist but the entry was still in the blocking file, so i manually deleted it, then i ran update again and it wasnt added to the blocking file, so it seems i found a work around for me. If i add it to the whitelist and then manually delete it in the blocking file, and then process it, it doesnt get added back to the blocking file after an update, so working fine as i dont need to keep modifying the blocking file after every update. Thanks for all the help, will see how it runs for the next week

www.ddlvalley.cool

Hit [Enter] to return

but when i updated the blocking file again, there was an entry for www.ddlvalley.cool, so i added it to the whitelist but the entry was still in the blocking file, so i manually deleted it, then i ran update again and it wasnt added to the blocking file, so it seems i found a work around for me. If i add it to the whitelist and then manually delete it in the blocking file, and then process it, it doesnt get added back to the blocking file after an update, so working fine as i dont need to keep modifying the blocking file after every update. Thanks for all the help, will see how it runs for the next week
The whitelisting works. Period.
Here's a rundown:
If you delete it in the blocking file and then employ the el option to whitelist, then AB searches for it in the blocking file and of course cant find it since you deleted it manually from that file.

But then you added it to the whitelist and updated the blocking file with (u). In the process of doing that, the whitelist entry removed it from the blocking file.
So, the whitelisting works.

It seems that every time after a router f/w update the AB-solution no longer starts automatically. (It seems to survive router reboots though).
The AB menu tells me that pixelserv-tls is not running.
Therefore I thought it might be the easiest to do a complete reinstall of the AB solution:

Code:
admin1@RT-AC68P:/tmp/home/root# curl -O ab-solution.info/releases/latest/ab-solution.sh && s
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  145k  100  145k    0     0   154k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  168k
-sh: s: not found
admin@RT-AC68P:/tmp/home/root#

However, I getting this error above. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

www.ddlvalley.cool

Hit [Enter] to return

The reason www.ddlvalley.cool wasn't found initially was because you had deleted it from the blocklist with nano. When you run an update, the way it works is that the full hostlist is downloaded and whitelist entries are removed. So the first time you updated, www.ddlvalley.cool appeared again because you had not whitelisted it yet. After you added www.ddlvalley.cool to the whitelist, it would be removed from the blocklist during every subsequent update routine.
I suspect the reason www.ddlvalley.cool stayed in the blocklist after you had initially whitelisted it was that you had not processed the list ( which removes the whitelisted entries from the blocklist).

It seems that every time after a router f/w update the AB-solution no longer starts automatically. (It seems to survive router reboots though).
Therefore I thought it might be the easiest to do a complete reinstall of the AB solution:

Code:
admin1@RT-AC68P:/tmp/home/root# curl -O ab-solution.info/releases/latest/ab-solution.sh && s

However, I getting this error above. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Try pasting the full line, not just part of it.

Code:

Is your device called something like sda or sdb? Try giving the device a distinctive label. These labels are then used by the router instead of the generic sd* which might be used interchangably if you have more than one device attached.
Hence, AB might not start because it looks at the wrong device.

Last edited:
Is your device called something like sda or sdb? Try giving the device a distinctive label. These labels are then used by the router instead of the generic sd* which might be used interchangably if you have more than one device attached.
Hence, AB might not start because it looks at the wrong device.

I am sorry, but I think I was not quite clear in my initial post. AB is starting up, but pixelserv-tls is not. I reinstalled the 'whole package' incl. pixelserv again. Hopefully this fixed it.

I replaced flash drive in router today and re-installed ab-solution, however after installation got the error which had been discussed on the forum already:

"checking dnsmasq.conf
file found
/etc/dnsmasq.conf is missing content
/etc/dnsmasq.conf is missing content
Errors found.

Read the check's output for clues."

Full re-installation does not help. Any clue?

Try this, changing the device label ("sdb2" below) as necessary, after verifying that the referenced files exist:
Code:
## begin of AB-Solution entries ##
addn-hosts=/tmp/mnt/sdb2/adblocking/blocking_file
addn-hosts=/tmp/mnt/sdb2/adblocking/blacklist.txt
log-facility=/tmp/mnt/sdb2/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log
log-async
log-queries
## end of AB-Solution entries ##

Thanks, I added but it did not help. Tried to re-run installation and these lines I added manually were removed (or dnsmasq.conf was replaced by new one lacking that entry).

Status
Not open for further replies.