What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this one is very small (for now) and the chances to click on any of those sites are quite small, but who knows... maybe is of interest to have it included? (or is it already included?)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/hosts.txt
I'm working on an update to significantly reduce false positives for routers with both Skynet and AB-Solution installed.
Your linked list is part of that enhancement of the blocking file choices.

In the meantime, you can add them to the blacklist, adding a comment sou you can remove it when the update is out.
Or you can select the Custom blocking file option, using your current list to populate it and add the URL you posted to the list.

I know this one is very small (for now) and the chances to click on any of those sites are quite small, but who knows... maybe is of interest to have it included? (or is it already included?)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/hosts.txt

Just add the url to the custom_hosts_list.txt as I did in post #1965, then update your custom hosts files. The blocked domains will automatically be added to the master block list and should be updated whenever you have your weekly automatic updates scheduled. Works like a charm :rolleyes:

thank you both, the idea was to have such list(s) added for everybody to benefit. :)

Sorry @SMS786 , I didn't noticed you've already talked about the exactly same list right before I did...

Last edited:
thank you both, the idea was to have such list(s) added for everybody to benefit.
As I said, this will be part of the next update.

There's nothing a hosts based ad-blocker like AB-Solution and Pi-Hole can do when unwanted content is served from the same domain as the wanted goodies.

Ah that's a shame, still it worked wonderfully for a couple of years. I'll just wait until the wizards figure out a way to block it.

As I said, this will be part of the next update.

Looking forward to this because as a novice non tech user I had no idea what was being discussed above to enable it through custom host.

Ah that's a shame, still it worked wonderfully for a couple of years. I'll just wait until the wizards figure out a way to block it.
I'm not saying it's impossible. You may want to keep up with what I come up in future releases.

But now I started using AB-Solution and I'm having issues with 2.4ghz wireless, the signal is very low, I can't even connect to it on phones, etc. Could it be an issue from your filters? Perhaps there's a domain that is causing issues with my wireless, I recall I added a new filter in my Pi-Hole and it led to wi-fi connectivity issues on samsung devices, i'm not sure if it has anything to do with my problem now but it is worth checking.
AFAIK AB-Solution, or the way it uses Dnsmasq to block ads, has no impact on the wired or wireless operation of your router.

By any chance, is there a way I can modify the filters/ hosts files you shared?
Use the Custom option when selecting a blocking file. You can populate it with any of the preset blocking files, then add or remove to your liking.
https://www.ab-solution.info/use/hosts-files.html
https://www.ab-solution.info/use/manual/main-menu.html

I did the custom option, I reached to the point where it asks me to choose 1-6 or 7-Empty file, at this point I don't know what to do.. Do I have to paste the url in or what?

Thanks again for your time.

Edit: I opened up WinSCP and went to /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/custom_files and pasted my filter link in the custom_hosts_list.txt and it worked, I don't know if I did it correctly or not.
After that, did you run u to update the blocking file?

I have not built in an editor for the Custom hosts list. I think this option is not used often and if so, then the user likely knows what he's doing.

Hello,
I have a problem using the Facebook app when I use blocking file option 4. When I install option 3 it's working fine. Do I need to add something to the whitelist?

Hello,
I have a problem using the Facebook app when I use blocking file option 4. When I install option 3 it's working fine. Do I need to add something to the whitelist?
Use option f to find out what blocks it.
Sorry, but I am not going to install the Facebook app on any of my devices just to test it.
I have removed them long since from my mobile devices. They are a battery drain on the devices even if not active.

Use option f to find out what blocks it.
Sorry, but I am not going to install the Facebook app on any of my devices just to test it.
I have removed them long since from my mobile devices. They are a battery drain on the devices even if not active.
OK, thanks. If anyone has already figure this out, please let me know.

If I wanted ab-solution to use a locally stored file as a custom host list... Could I potentially use the opkg version of lighttpd (on a different port) + a cronjob with curl + whatever awk,sed,grep,cut commands I choose serve the file from another ‘“server” running locally?

So in ab-solution the link to the “local” url woud look like:

Http://router.asus.com:81/adlist/foo.list

If I wanted ab-solution to use a locally stored file as a custom host list... Could I potentially use the opkg version of lighttpd (on a different port) + a cronjob with curl + whatever awk,sed,grep,cut commands I choose serve the file from another ‘“server” running locally?

So in ab-solution the link to the “local” url woud look like:

Http://router.asus.com:81/adlist/foo.list
That's how I test it locally. One of my CentOS boxen hosts the local ab-solution.test domain.
It serves as the server for install, update and checks instead of the public ab-solution.info.

I also have a script run on it to download all hosts files I might use to test.
To do that yourself you can select the Custom blocking file. In it you place the link to any local source. Although only port 80 is supported as is and I have not tested any other ports, it might just work with a link like yours. But I doubt it, I probably would have to modify the script.
This way updates are pulled weekly with the blocking file update. Which you should. These hosts can change over time.

Before we get to 2000 posts in this thread--100 pages!!:)

That's how I test it locally. One of my CentOS boxen hosts the local ab-solution.test domain.
It serves as the server for install, update and checks instead of the public ab-solution.info.

I also have a script run on it to download all hosts files I might use to test.
To do that yourself you can select the Custom blocking file. In it you place the link to any local source. Although only port 80 is supported as is and I have not tested any other ports, it might just work with a link like yours. But I doubt it, I probably would have to modify the script.
This way updates are pulled weekly with the blocking file update. Which you should. These hosts can change over time.

Yessir, I use a pile of custom lists with that custom blocking file. List is over a million right now. IIRC the script doesnt allow for a local host file though, correct? it wont read from /foo/bar/directory/list but it will read from http://www.foo.bar/ldiretory/list.txt

I'm doing this in an attempt to consolidate all the lists on my git site. I very much appreciate how ab-solution + PS works but I pull from the lists my pi-holes push to github and they're not perfect for ABS because they've been trimmed since the pihole started using wildcard domains.

I've got a pihole vm right now on this computer at work im going to use as the upstream server for ABS to try to catch some of the domains that use proxy.bad.domain or error.bad.domain or the like.

So:
  1. pihole catches them due to wildcard,
  2. publishes the list of domains caught by the wildcard address
  3. ABS curls that list and appends it to the end of a list running on its ''local'' server on the second instance of lighttpd,
  4. weekly adds that to the blocking_file
  5. I clear the blacklist.txt
  6. open another pile of mobile apps,
  7. discover their unnecessary domains
  8. blacklist them
  9. start back at 1
Doing it that way I dont have to change the script at all for ABS or pihole and updates wont break any hack job I do to make it work temporarily

Code:
cat /tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/blacklist.txt | cut -f0 -d"#" | sed '/19
2.168.200.20/s#[1-9.]*#0.0.0.0#' >> /opt/share/www/list/cut-blacklist.txt | awk '!seen[$0]++' > /opt/share/www/list/cut-blacklist.txt

So that will take the blacklist.txt file in /tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/ remove comments, formatting and replace your ip address with one that is formatted properly to import into ab-solution. I'd use that because when im trying to clean up apps I routinely add 30-40 domains a day into the blacklist so it takes some time to scroll by

Code:
 echo http://your.ip.add.ress/list/blacklist-cut.txt >> /tmp/mnt/data/adblocking/custom_files/custom_hosts_list.txt

put that list in your custom_hosts_list file

add a cron job to run this 10 mins before ABS does its weekly update. 5 minutes before its weekly update cut the blacklist.txt file after the inital comments so you'll have a fresh blacklist to start the next week and all the previously blacklisted domains will be on a list already

Last edited:
Yessir, I use a pile of custom lists with that custom blocking file. List is over a million right now. IIRC the script doesnt allow for a local host file though, correct? it wont read from /foo/bar/directory/list but it will read from http://www.foo.bar/ldiretory/list.txt
The update-hosts.add runs a wget for the file, which requires a web server to answer.
I'm doing this in an attempt to consolidate all the lists on my git site. I very much appreciate how ab-solution + PS works but I pull from the lists my pi-holes push to github and they're not perfect for ABS because they've been trimmed since the pihole started using wildcard domains.
Then trim the file to not include the wildcard domains, also push it to your github and include the raw file link in your AB Custom blocking file.

Status
Not open for further replies.