What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The update-hosts.add runs a wget for the file, which requires a web server to answer.

Then trim the file to not include the wildcard domains, also push it to your github and include the raw file link in your AB Custom blocking file.

The wildcard domains are a separate file in pihole.

My end goal is to script this, im just publicly posting how im going about everything:

in blocking_file already .baddomain.com
web page requests proxy.gotcha.baddomain.com
dnsmasq on asus router forwards proxy.gotcha.baddomain.com to upstream server
upstream filter catches proxy.gotcha.baddomain.com based on *.baddomain.com filter
upstream filter publishes list of hosts caught by *.baddomain and other *.domain filters
ab-solution wgets that extended list during its weekly update and proxy.gotcha.baddomain.com is in blocking_file less than a week later

Where it gets more complicated is that im adding to the lists manually as I update the specific blacklist created on the ac68u nd trying to incorporate those changes across several different devices and networks the same day.

It is very convenient to have 3 securecrt windows open,
one adding to the blacklist,
another tailing the log for already blocked domains and
the last one tailing the log for dns requests for a specific device.

The above post is mostly for my convenience keeping the manual blacklist short enough it doesnt take 20 seconds to roll by between additions.
Thank you for this amazing work of code.

Who needs a change?
Well maybe AB-Solution does, with its startup and shutdown ASCII logo.

I have three types to choose from, with three variations. The top is the current logo.
Let me know what you think of these.

zzhNa7o.png

Who needs a change?
Well maybe AB-Solution does, with its startup and shutdown ASCII logo.

I have three types to choose from, with three variations. The top is the current logo.
Let me know what you think of these.

zzhNa7o.png
I´d stay with the current or medium size no color... or maybe blue color (if it was an option).. well thats my humble opinion :D

I'm happy with the current / small / no color, and so are my old eyes. ;)

Looks like I'm in the minority with my ASCII logo preference.

I must say, it looks kind of ugly in code, with the upper being the current and the lower the same but with the white dash:

oNvRCz8.png

Since the latest update i can no longer reach LinkedIn.com (can reach it over 4G or public wifi)
pinging routes to 108.174.10.10 it's not on Skynets of ABsolutions blacklists? any suggestions?

Since the latest update i can no longer reach LinkedIn.com (can reach it over 4G or public wifi)
pinging routes to 108.174.10.10 it's not on Skynets of ABsolutions blacklists? any suggestions?
LinkedIn.com is blocked in at least one hosts file.
I have www.linkedin.com in my whitelist.

Looks like I'm in the minority with my ASCII logo preference.

I must say, it looks kind of ugly in code, with the upper being the current and the lower the same but with the white dash:

oNvRCz8.png
Well, it is your code, so in spite of what we think, you should do what you prefer. This is a cosmetic feature and not something that alters the function, so we will get used to it (or just close our eyes when it loads). :)

And a seventeen year old picture I bet! :D

And a seventeen year old picture I bet! :D
you bet!
I was living in Sydney in Y2K.
This pic, however, is of generic google search origin and appears to show the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany.

The funny thing.... I was right there at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin at the turn of the millennium. I even bought first day postage stamps (Ersttagsbriefmarken) that night. I still have these. :D:D:D

The funny thing.... I was right there at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin at the turn of the millennium. I even bought first day postage stamps (Ersttagsbriefmarken) that night. I still have these. :D:D:D
Are you the one holding the Bierhumpen up close by the tents?
I had a few of the local Tooheys myself then.

I don't think so... probably got too drunk already. :cool::confused::D

AB-Solution 3.11 is now available

Use cu to update.

What's new in version 3.11
New
: Option "+. Use additional hosts files" in b blocking file type.
Option + adds or removes these files to your existing blocking file type:
hosts-file.net/emd.txt, exp.txt, hjk.txt and psh.txt.
Exploit, hijack and phishing protection.
This may require a Swap file, creation is easy now with swap.

New: Skynet can now request to have the additional hosts files added ( in b, option +)
This helps to cut down on false positives in Skynet by including these in AB-Solution instead of Skynet.
This request is shown at the next start of AB and instructions are displayed how to enable them.

New: When processing the whitelist in el, Skynet is refreshed to read in the new shared-AB-whitelist

New: Sub Menu option swap. Adds or removes a Swap file.
New: Ab-Solution can now be started with verbose check output. Simply run ab-solution verbose (or ./ab-solution.sh verbose if Entware is not installed).
amtm v0.2 automatically runs this verbose mode if it detects a fatal error beforehand.

New: Updating the blocking file first updates the shared-AB-whitelist and refreshes Skynet. Then the download of the hosts files starts.
Two Microsoft OneDrive domains are now auto-whitelisted: 1drv.ms and onedrive.live.com

Changed: Where supported, downloads of hosts files run on the https protocol.
Changed: Hosts file timeout is now set to 12 seconds, three tries.
Changed: Removed pixelserv-tls switch -f (-f Stay in foreground. Do not daemonize the process).

Last edited:
What's skynet?
Edit:
And that's a "+" and not an "x" in b blocking file menue.

Last edited:
Thanks to @RMerlin I can finally test the 382.x firmware branch on my RT-AC1900P.
As reported by users, there appear to be no issues running AB-Solution on that firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.