What's new

AC Adapter via PCI-E vs N Bridge - (RT-N66U, Merlin)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Pitts

New Around Here
Hi All!

Long time lurker. So, let's touch on what I have right now and how I am replacing it. I have a question about what's better to use...

Currently I have a RT-N66U receiving internet from a SB6141 modem via Cox. (150Mbps service)

(After it hits my Ooma for VOIP)

This router handles DHCP and Wifi with roaming assistant. Then from there, I run powerline across to the other side of the house (downstairs in about 2800 sq ft - exact opposite side of house) I regularly get an amber pick a plug LED indicating less than ideal powerline signal. Adapters are netgear PLP1200 powerline.

From that powerline adapter, I hit a second NT66U. This router acts as an accesspoint and feeds ethernet to the desktop positioned there. Router is up about 4.5 feet on the wall. (again roaming assistant)

So here is the new plan, as I have had such poor Wifi performance from these and recently added a bunch of smart home stuff. I am up to about 14 clients.

I am replacing the upstairs router with an RT-AC68U (a TMO AC1900). After reading the SNB articles about an AC router improving all device's speed including N devices.

I am removing the powerline from the mix. As it simply hasn't had good connection speeds. Always with that amber light, even using other outlets. It's just too far away from the source, as best I can tell.

My question is this:
Should I keep the RT-N66U downstairs and use it as a bridge to the desktop? Or, should I use an AC wireless adapter via PCI-E?

Couple of different options - but since you have the N66U, might consider using it in Bridge mode and connect that to the desktop.

Outside of that - I'd suggest a USB adapter before going PCI-e internally on the desktop - not that PCI-e is bad, but the USB adapters work well enough, and one can move them away from the PC to reduce interference from the PC...

sfx2000 - thanks for the reply. You are suggesting the two options I am thinking. Although, my PCI-E adapter of choice has external and movable antennae for the purposes of doing just that.

My real question lies in:
Will I get better performance by using a bridge - even if it is "N" based?
Or, will I do better to use "AC" based PCI-E adapter.

In other words, is the only benefit of a bridge the ability to connect multiple hardwired devices? Or, does having that beefier processing power of containing a router do anything for performance?

Mixed feelings here...

The bridge can be useful and in many cases, depending on number of wired clients attached...

My primary concern with PCI-e cards - this is kind of a long tail thing, not many units sold compared to USB devices, and even there - the internal card is fighting with all the EMI/RF generated by the computer itself...

Even with external antennae mount - the card inside the computer is where the problem might be..

I have a similar set up. Asus AC1750 as a main router, powerline adapter feeding N56U as an AP upstairs and in my downstairs office I have a rosewill N900 PCI-E card in my desktop and Asus N300 PCI-E card in my wife's PC. I also have a spare N66U router that I set up in bridge mode and then hooked up both downstairs PCs to it. I saw a small dip in my PC (typically 60-65mbs down over N-5ghz dropped to 50-55mbs down) but an increase from my wife's PC (typically 30-35mbs down over 2.4ghz).