What's new

ac66 u - slow wan - will overclock help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Symbiot

Regular Contributor
Hi

I have an ac66u which just won't give me my full wan speed.
I've been googling for days trying to find some solution... but so far nothing has made a difference...

would I gain anything from OC'ing the router? and if so.. how will I go about doing that?

I've tried so many different fw versions (still looking for .354 versions)... right now I'm using the newest asus stock fw .. which makes no difference either..

does anyone have a backup of merlin's 354 build?

and perhaps some guidance for clocking the router.. if it'll make a difference..

this is really annoying... finally got great wan speed.. but with a router that can't deliver... :-(((

More info about your type of WAN connection would help.

hi merlin

thx for replying..

setup:

ac66u - newest stock firmware

wan connection:

1/1Gbit fiber - measured @ 4-500/7-800mbps with cable directly into fiber-router... port 4 in the fiber-router has been bridged to provide me with full control over wan connection. (I have a friend @ the isp)
so basically I've got 2 lines running into my house.. 1 normal ISP line and the bridged.. so in reality I have 2x1Gbit connection.

I've tried both of course.. and same difference & measurements..
whith cable into fiber router.. 4-500mbps down.
with cable into asus 150mbps down 180 up.

and..the cable I tested with is the same.. so cable should be fine..!

asus is set to "automatic IP" in wan settings.

what else... have tried differents fw builds.. both yours & stock. tried the 270(or was it 240) from your site.. which just made it worse.

This is with Jumbo frames disabled & HW accelleration enabled.. no qos. No vlans, no iptv.

Most settings are default. I only changed wireless settings & LAN switch (hw, jumbo etc.)

I've tried changing the MTU to 1472.. no change... 1480 .. no change.. 1500 default ..same..

I'm at that point where I'm starting considering another router.. but I just don't understand why the asus can't deliver...

Any other info.. let me know..

you're welcome to a Teamviewer session if you want.. I'm really kindda desperate.

I'm assuming your testing is wired only.

I would suggest the latest beta v.2239 with a reset to defaults and manually entering any settings. Also; either use new ssid's for each band, or remove the old ones from each client. Even though you are not testing with wireless with your 1GB fiber connection (just good practice when switching firmware versions).

I don't think an RT-AC66U can be overclocked (basing this on the similarly spec'd RT-N66U).

While you're now using 'the same cable' when testing between devices - it may be worth while to try a couple of new ones anyway (the connectors, etc. may be iffy when used with the different equipment - I'd recommend CAT6 between your ONT and router and between your router and your computer (at least for testing) to ensure the best possible speed from your fiber connection).

The RT-AC56U/RT-AC68U have much better (wired) performance than the RT-AC66U with HW acceleration off; but the AC66U is just as good or better with HWA on. To me, this means that any difference you might see from the faster cpu based routers would be more the different drivers/firmware, than anything else.

Are you possibly using the Dual WAN feature of the Asus?

An RT-AC66U should have no problem reaching 500-700 Mbps provided HW acceleration is enabled. Just to be sure it didn't get disabled any anything else, go to Tools -> Sysinfo and check the HW acceleration state. It will confirm that it's really enabled, or else it will tell you what is causing it to be disabled.

I would also try changing your Ethernet cables. Even if they are rated Cat 5e or Cat6, I've seen some of them having a very liberal interpretation of the specifications.

I'm assuming your testing is wired only.

I would suggest the latest beta v.2239 with a reset to defaults and manually entering any settings. Also; either use new ssid's for each band, or remove the old ones from each client. Even though you are not testing with wireless with your 1GB fiber connection (just good practice when switching firmware versions).

I don't think an RT-AC66U can be overclocked (basing this on the similarly spec'd RT-N66U).

While you're now using 'the same cable' when testing between devices - it may be worth while to try a couple of new ones anyway (the connectors, etc. may be iffy when used with the different equipment - I'd recommend CAT6 between your ONT and router and between your router and your computer (at least for testing) to ensure the best possible speed from your fiber connection).

The RT-AC56U/RT-AC68U have much better (wired) performance than the RT-AC66U with HW acceleration off; but the AC66U is just as good or better with HWA on. To me, this means that any difference you might see from the faster cpu based routers would be more the different drivers/firmware, than anything else.

Are you possibly using the Dual WAN feature of the Asus?

Hi

I've tested with different cables.. sorry for not mentioning that. I'm using brand new cat6e. They were even different makes & lengths.. I borrowed some from work to test. Each cable gave the same result.

I will test merlins beta software as well.

An RT-AC66U should have no problem reaching 500-700 Mbps provided HW acceleration is enabled. Just to be sure it didn't get disabled any anything else, go to Tools -> Sysinfo and check the HW acceleration state. It will confirm that it's really enabled, or else it will tell you what is causing it to be disabled.

I would also try changing your Ethernet cables. Even if they are rated Cat 5e or Cat6, I've seen some of them having a very liberal interpretation of the specifications.

I have checked and rechecked HW accelleration.

There's a telnet command to check as well, but I believe that's the same as checking sysinfo.

I am not setting anything advanced in the router.. no IP checking or anything else..

I will now test the merlin beta firmware.

The beta v2239 firmware is not RMerlin's - it is on the Asus support site for your router. ;)

hi

sorry.. got them mixed up.
I already tried the 2239 stock asus FW..

Right now I'm using merlins newest beta FW_36 beta1

and no change...

I tested with & without HW accelleration.. and there's very little difference in performance.. around 15% speed increase with HW accelleration.

The max I can get is 160 / 220mbps.

oh, you're right..
went to download it.. and it's already in my "firmware" folder.. which means I've already tested it.. and had the same issue..

but will update nevertheless...

I have now tested the .246 from merlin's repository.. still same issue.

I feel I've tried anything I can think of..

Go with the simplest config possible after a factory default reset. Configure only the WAN type and wifi, and don't change anything else. I see no reason for WAN to LAN to not reach 500-700 Mbps with the latest firmware and nothing else changed from default settings unless your ISP does something weird short of a bad network cable or a problem with the PC you use for testing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!