What's new

AC68U (was TM-AC1900) connection on 2.4ghz drops for a few minutes every few hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmlbee

New Around Here
Hi,

I flashed a AC68U to TM-AC1900 to 378.56_2 last week. 5GHZ works flawlessly but 2.4ghz will drop every few hours. It won't lose connection, it just not respond and a minute later it will regain internet connection. I turned off all of the suggested features, I'm on channel 11, 20mhz.

My N66U works perfectly on 2.4ghz and 5ghz, is my new unit defective?

Thanks for the help!

Very old firmware you're using. Try 380.59 instead. Along with a full reset to factory defaults afterwards followed by a minimal and manual configuration to connect to your ISP and secure the router.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

And if you haven't already done so, you may want to do the reset and minimal and manual configuration on the current version of firmware too, before you update to the latest.

Hi,

I have the same issue on my AC68U with Merlin 380.59 and 380.58.

However it is only against an "Intel wifi 5100 agn" wifi adapter, which is built into my laptop (windows 7 32 bit on latest Intel wifi drivers).
Funny is, I have this issue only on 2.4 GHz, not on 5 GHz. And it never happened when I was still using my old TP-Link Archer C7 and my old Asus RT-N16.

So it must be definitely something special on this AC68U router.

I tried already almost all settings available on the professional tab for 2.4 Wifi on the router and also many different settings in the adapter driver.
No success.

I heard a while ago, some adapter have issues with newer Asus routers because of some special protocol (something with 802... blabla which I cannot remember). And there are firmwares out where this is supposed to be changed.

Anything known on that issue? Any hints, tipps?

Thanks a bunch
Andi

Same issue here! I tried the latest firmware, earlier, almost every firmware possible and have the same issue. I am also using an Intel adapter, 7260.

I'll probably move back to a the N66 or try the Netgear router on sale at Costco if I can't fix this.

If you find a firmware that fixes, let me know!

Try one of John's forked version firmwares (based on older Merlin). I found 13E1to be the most stable but haven't tried anything newer than 15.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v17e8-v18b9.18914/

Thanks a lot. Have it already installed and running.
Will observe whether the behaviour is fixed with it or not.

@Engineer: Just for my personal education, what is so much different in John's forked firmwares? Especially what is different to make you believe it could help in that case? I could not find that very quickly.

Thanks
Andi

Update:

Since I am on the recommended firmware Johns Fork 13E1, I have a stable 2.4 GHz connection already for more than 5 hours. This was never the case previously.

It is too early for a big horraaayyy, but it is very promising.

Many thanks for the recommendation already.

Andi

Thanks a lot. Have it already installed and running.
Will observe whether the behaviour is fixed with it or not.

@Engineer: Just for my personal education, what is so much different in John's forked firmwares? Especially what is different to make you believe it could help in that case? I could not find that very quickly.

Thanks
Andi

Andi,

IIRC, it has an older wireless driver. John can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the older wireless driver to be more stable, at least in my case. It's based on an older version of Merlin and John maintains security updates but not features so you lose all the cool new stuff from the latest Merlin but I would rather have stability than the latest features (without stability). I've not tried John's latest so after you are satisfied that 13E1 works well, you could give the newest version a whirl to see if it works well. If so, you gain a firmware that works well with the security and necessary updates from John.

Was now a full day on latest John fork, also no issues at all. All connections stable.

Think my problem is fixed ☺️

Thanks so much
Andi

I can confirm this issue as closed. John's fork with configurable regulation mode fixed it for me.

Andi

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!