What's new

AC86U 386.2_x poor performance with active IPTV VLAN routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hommer

New Around Here
I have my AC86U connected to a T-Mobile glass connection using a TPLink MC220L media converter. The AC86U is configured to route internet and IPTV from two VLANs (see attached screenshot)

The issue I'm having;
When a TV tuner is active I see a continuous stream of ~40-50Mbit on the router (not showing in the dashboard btw). The system load of the router is quite low, averaging somewhere around 20-30%.
The internet access is extremely slow and has a high latency. A speedtest will average around 30-40Mbit synchronous up/down.

Shutting down the TV tuner shows the IPTV data stream stopping. System load remains relatively the same.
The internet access becomes normal again. A speedtest will average again around 180-200Mbit synchronous up/down.

Since the system load remains relatively the same I get the feeling that the VLAN routing is done on the onboard switch that is unable to handle this load properly. Are there any magic settings that can fix this?
Suggestions and or further analysis pointers are appreciated.

Attachments

• 202106120-ac86u-lan-iptv.jpg
    202106120-ac86u-lan-iptv.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 221
Unfortunately not. Only thing I found out was that it was caused because of the router bridging this VLAN. Most routers have load issues when bridging as it disables hardware offloading.
I changed my T-Mobile fiber subscription which involved a move from WBA to GPON which also changes IPTV to routed IPTV. Still have to set that up though, we hardly use IPTV.

Unfortunately not. Only thing I found out was that it was caused because of the router bridging this VLAN. Most routers have load issues when bridging as it disables hardware offloading.
I changed my T-Mobile fiber subscription which involved a move from WBA to GPON which also changes IPTV to routed IPTV. Still have to set that up though, we hardly use IPTV.
What is routed IPTV? I'm a little confused as to what i have. i'm not using a IPTV service provided by my isp. i'm using a "resellers" people on here kinow what i mean i'm sure.. from what i can tell its very simliar to how BT TV works over in the uk

i'm having a strange issue. iptv works great UNLESS someone on the network starts using the directv stream app. and ONLY that app. I cant drop it yet cuz my dad is elderly and getting dimenta so its hard for him to learn new things. only reason we could get directv stream is cuz we have had OG directv forever. anyways i did a lot of googling and i came accross a thread where people were talking about having issues with the att Uverse iptv service when trying to use their own router. the issue was att uses multicast to initialite the connection (or other way around i forget right now) then changes to unicast. so they did the normal enable igmp proxy and multicast routing blah blah blah and it fixed it. but thats not what i found interesting... in the comments soemone explained what i just did above about multicast to unicast switch and how when you dont have the settings enabled correctly your network gets flooded with traffic and starts dropping packets all over the place... WELL someone else chimed in saying they (i forget why) did a buonch of poking around a directv Home DVR network and noticed they use the same setup and it also makes there be insane packet loss but it just isnt as noticable because of them being on their own MoCA network(etc) he didnt have a solution to the massive packet loss just that he said att/dtv equip for some reason all do this. and from what i know about directv streams stbs so far , they kept a lot of things from DTV so i wouldnt be surpised if they do the same as the others. Beacause its like clockwork, I can watch iptv for hours.. then as soon as someone either opens the directv STREAM app or boots up one of their STBs. within about 30 secs IPTV feezes and buffers for like 20secs.. then rtinse and repeate

Not really because your assumption that the hardware switch is sagging under load is exactly what is happening. The AC86U came out in 2017 or 2018? this is a little old gear, and not high end enough for the era, to handle multiple VLAN plus 200mbps+ throughput, the reality is a much more powerful router is needed to handle that level of traffic without missing a beat.

BTW i had this same issue with corruption when not using the ISP stock modem/router at my parents house after i set up a mesh wifi setup there, only when doing something like opening the guide or the stream app, i ended up actually mitigating it by setting up some crazy configuration on the ISP router in which it was just one of the devices on the network.... as long as it was hooked up in that configuration everything worked.

My guess is the stock router can process some kind of magic packet that tells it to do whatever is needed to not freeze and buffer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!