What's new

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And a hard reboot? Pulling the power cable out (or turning off) and then powering up again? Same thing?

A hard reboot no issues it boots up propely, its same as using power button.
Issue comes when clicking the reboot button from the web interface when i login into the router and the auto reboot feature

But because i have a media server with FTP access i need to do daily restarts at around 5am

Kindest regards

Did you carry out your reset according to L&LD’s guide?
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If not, can you have a look through and check that you reset the router in the right way? Because your reboot worked on the stock Asus firmware, I feel somewhat confident that if you reset the router again to L&LD’s guide (to the letter), the problem may well be solved.

Yes i did carried that to the letter before flashing, i have the whole page saved as a PDF in case i didnt had internet connection, i also have the stock firmware downloaded with each their settings in their respective folders.

Kindest regards

Yes i did carried that to the letter before flashing, i have the whole page saved as a PDF in case i didnt had internet connection, i also have the stock firmware downloaded with each their settings in their respective folders.

Kindest regards
Well, you’ve certainly started out on the right foot, doing all the right things. I’m sure you’ll get some better advice when the experts tune in!

Well, you’ve certainly started out on the right foot, doing all the right things. I’m sure you’ll get some better advice when the experts tune in!

Thanks a lot for your wonderful help, i have everything downloaded including the router backup software in case it got breaked so i can flash the stock firmware directly including pdf tutorial in case that could've happen.

I stopped temporarly the reboot feature but its a necessity for my needs.

Hopefully more help is coming

Kindest regards

Thanks a lot for your wonderful help, i have everything downloaded including the router backup software in case it got breaked so i can flash the stock firmware directly including pdf tutorial in case that could've happen.

I stopped temporarly the reboot feature but its a necessity for my needs.

Hopefully more help is coming

Kindest regards
Just a thought, for troubleshooting purposes, are you happy with ssh? If so, you could try sending the command “service reboot” minus the quotation marks.

That should give the same result as the webui Reboot, but, if it didn’t, it possibly might provide more info.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...erlin-terminal-menu.42415/page-40#post-482398

Just a thought, for troubleshooting purposes, are you happy with ssh? If so, you could try sending the command “service reboot” minus the quotation marks.

That should give the same result as the webui Reboot, but, if it didn’t, it possibly might provide more info.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...erlin-terminal-menu.42415/page-40#post-482398
Hello martin thanks a lot for replying again.

Im afraid that ssh wont help me, i cant wake up at 5am every day to restart the router when a scheduler is available in firmware itself , and it is more comfortable to login in the router thru browser and click the reboot in specially since sometimes i remotely access to it if any of my ftp friends has issues accessing it.

But none of those options work currently for me

Kindest regards

Im afraid that ssh wont help me, i cant wake up at 5am every day to restart the router when a scheduler is available in firmware itself , and it is more comfortable to login in the router thru browser and click the reboot in specially since sometimes i remotely access to it if any of my ftp friends has issues accessing it.

Kindest regards
Only for troubleshooting the problem - the ssh command, just to see if you get a different response. You shouldn’t do, but if you did it might point to something.

Kindest regards
I've read through the whole topic now. As far as I can tell, you are the only person that didn't have the problem with Asus stock firmware but does have it with Merlin's. I got the impression, if the problem occurs, then both firmwares are affected. And I'm none the wiser if it also happens with John's fork as well.

And I didn't know there was a "cheaper" version of your router (and that possibly they are the ones affected).

Is the router still under warranty?

I've seen this issue few times on my RT-AC86U only when I do manual reboot. Never happened with automatic reboot though. Got lucky probably, not sure. Must be something hardware specific as both Stock and Merlin firmware versions are affected. The router is now fully configured and is running great with Merlin's firmware. No need to reboot for long periods of time, so not a big concern for me.

One question, are you guys routers the Chinese version of it? Mine is and i have this problem as well... Another problem that i have is that sometimes my router reboot itself when i disable and enable again the lan on my desktop computer, the only computer that i have connected using a cable.

One question, are you guys routers the Chinese version of it? Mine is and i have this problem as well... Another problem that i have is that sometimes my router reboot itself when i disable and enable again the lan on my desktop computer, the only computer that i have connected using a cable.

Not sure what Chinese version is, but mine is Made in China.
Actually, I've never seen the reboot issue since I disabled all the TrendMicro related services.

Last edited:
Not sure what Chinese version is, but mine is Made in China.
Actually, I've never seen the reboot issue since I disabled all the TrendMicro related services.

Chinese version is the one that you buy strait from china like from sites like aliexpress, gearbest and etc

The box looks like this:

ASUS-RT-AC86U-Full_02.jpg

With Chinese writing in it.

Only for troubleshooting the problem - the ssh command, just to see if you get a different response. You shouldn’t do, but if you did it might point to something.
Hello martin i can try the ssh but no idea how
Router is still under warranty i think, stock firmware didnt gave me issues at all

Kindest regards

Chinese version is the one that you buy strait from china like from sites like aliexpress, gearbest and etc

Then NO, mine came in a black box, purchased from ASUS Canada.
Aren't they the same hardware devices? Different packaging has nothing to do with the issue.

And I didn't know there was a "cheaper" version of your router (and that possibly they are the ones affected).
Nothing to do with the "cheaper" chinese version, hardware is exactly the same, only different cfe settings to allow using different WiFi-region setting and power plug, thats why I prefer to call it the international version. They sell to different regions for different prices, thats all ...
Now chinese version will cost same as for other regions.
And I had it with stock an Merlin, but much less with last firmwares than at the beginning.
Maybe there are dependencies to region because of different cfe default settings, who knows.

Last edited:
Hello martin i can try the ssh but no idea how
Router is still under warranty i think, stock firmware didnt gave me issues at all

Kindest regards
Certainly, after reading through the topic, it's worth checking the state of the warranty.

Grisu on Post 23 and Post 76 said "Seen on stock and Merlin, just everything dark only solved with power cycling." But you seem quite sure that stock firmware was ok. Had it happened also on stock firmware, I'd have said don't waste any more time and, regardless of the warranty, this topic tends to prove it is an inherent fault and therefore the router isn't fit for purpose, regardless of any warranty.

However, given it doesn't happen on stock firmware, on your router, it suggests it's probably not a hardware fault? Is it worth going back to stock firmware, resetting the router, and double checking it does not happen on stock? Could it be a fault that coincidentally happened after the move to Merlin?

isnt it seen on all HND chipsets incl. AX88U?
Really? The 80 series seem to be more trouble than they're worth! What's the point of all the extra performance (over say, the reliable RT-AC68U) if you have to cross yourself every time you reboot? ;)

Certainly, after reading through the topic, it's worth checking the state of the warranty.

Grisu on Post 23 and Post 76 said "Seen on stock and Merlin, just everything dark only solved with power cycling." But you seem quite sure that stock firmware was ok. Had it happened also on stock firmware, I'd have said don't waste any more time and, regardless of the warranty, this topic tends to prove it is an inherent fault and therefore the router isn't fit for purpose, regardless of any warranty.

However, given it doesn't happen on stock firmware, on your router, it suggests it's probably not a hardware fault? Is it worth going back to stock firmware, resetting the router, and double checking it does not happen on stock? Could it be a fault that coincidentally happened after the move to Merlin?

Hello i just went to stock firmware and is working, im out of ideas...

Kindest regards

isnt it seen on all HND chipsets incl. AX88U?
No, never seen it on the 88U, but twice on the 86U. What's interestig is that the 86U is now my main devlopment router and to test the new amtm format disk functions I had to reboot it probably about 30 times. Never once did it fail to boot up.