What's new

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can help. I have tried leaving the router overnight & in the morning it is stone cold.
Good data point.....maybe they made a design change on the AC86 to allow for power control that is somehow having a problem.

only want to confirm this issue, sent feedback months ago, no response like ever.
Seen on stock and Merlin, just everything dark only solved with power cycling.

Honestly. I have rebooted a few times and haven't experienced this. But mine is the china cheap edition so don't know if this is pertinent to that. The only thing I notice different on this router is that if I reboot the fiber box, the router is up much earlier than the fiber box can establish the connection. Why would you want to reboot the router remotely?

Honestly. I have rebooted a few times and haven't experienced this. But mine is the china cheap edition so don't know if this is pertinent to that. The only thing I notice different on this router is that if I reboot the fiber box, the router is up much earlier than the fiber box can establish the connection. Why would you want to reboot the router remotely?

got the same chinese version and seen it really often in the past (play a bit with wifi-settings and you'll have it too), in my case maybe because used in AP-mode so long. Sure this router is much faster and so up in a third the time compared to 68U.

Last edited:
got the same chinese version and seen it really often in the past (play a bit with wifi-settings and you'll have it too), in my case maybe becouse used in AP-mode so long. Sure this router is much faster and so up in a third the time compared to 68U.

Must be, but I have rebooted this a few times and it has come back. I didn't pay much attention to it as its still fairly new so can't comment. This router has not made a permanent home as of yet. Any bug and it's going right back in the box for the trusted AC5300.

I think I had this when I rebooted from GUI the other week.

Rebooted from GUI and I got the percentage indicator on screen it got to 100%/complete spinning wheel, but seemed to stall.
Went to router and no lights were on, so I had to power cycle.

Read the post about service reboot, how do I do that?

"service reboot" command is issued from a terminal shell, or by hitting the reboot button in the gui. The point of the post was to not issue just "reboot" from the console terminal.

"service reboot" command is issued from a terminal shell, or by hitting the reboot button in the gui. The point of the post was to not issue just "reboot" from the console terminal.

So if I click reboot from the GUI that is a service reboot?

Im not even familiar with terminal shell, not to worry if it's very technical I will just use GUI reboot.

Correct, what you are doing is a service reboot. Nothing you need to do.

Was looking through the code.....those of you having problems, do you have any extensions loaded that set up a swap file? (I think having a swap file defined may prevent the problem)

Not with me. I am very basic setup with PIA VPN running along with open VPN server so I can connect remote. The only customization outside the gui I have is a jffs script to load a few IP port forwards on boot.

Was looking through the code.....those of you having problems, do you have any extensions loaded that set up a swap file? (I think having a swap file defined may prevent the problem)
Yes, AB-Solution and SkyNet swap file added using AMTM for use by both.

First recommendation.....don't use 'reboot', use 'service reboot'. 'reboot' by itself just yanks the rug out from under the kernel.....'service reboot' allows the router to go through an orderly shutdown.

"reboot" and "service reboot" are the same thing. Check with l s -l / sbin/ reb00t (can't paste it, because Cloudflare).

"reboot" and "service reboot" are the same thing. Check with l s -l / sbin/ reb00t (can't paste it, because Cloudflare).
Must be something added.....on my fork, they are different. Sorry everyone.

I didn’t have any scripts or anything special when it happened to me twice in a matter of days.
Merlin said it was most likely just immature software.

As an experiment I did a test build with a change if someone wants to give it a try....
RT-AC86U_384.7_alpha1-g7177f550b_cferom_ubi.w
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ainhp1nBLzMJkEFTnFp4Sh2wvQva

to activate the change
nvram set crash_restart=1
nvram commit

I'll give it a try.
Is this based on the latest alpha?
This issue may also be related to the scheduled restart power off issue that I have experienced.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!