What's new

AddOn Development Request - Dashboard views

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JR Godwin

Regular Contributor
So recently, I went down a pfSense rabbit hole and experimented with running my home network through that. I even finally buckled down and learned to do a Wireguard to NordVPN implementation, etc.

Ultimately, the thing that pulled me back was my inability to get an Open NAT on my xbox(es) like I could with Merlin (believe me, I went deep into the NAT topics and tried multiple configurations to move it off of strict. best I could do was Moderate)......Plus, I liked a lot of the implementations and the presentations of them via the merlin menus. Anyway, I digress....

What I really did enjoy about the pfSense experience was the dashboard, and i'm wondering if there's something that can be done on the Merlin side of things, either as an add-on or tweaks on the Network Map page. I'm guessing those are probably required to remain as they are, but guessing an addon page could pull from it the relevant parts, as well as others....

For me, I like seeing the System Status tab, from Internet Traffic down through RAM, but would also love to see maybe a snippet of vnstat, last spdMerlin result, vpn client status, etc.

I'm guessing the massive customization available on the pfSense one is a bit harder to emulate, because they're putting in the hooks for those widgets, and they're objects that you can drag around the screen....but...just saying....for all you wonderful, smart, capable devlopers out there....it might be a fun challenge ;)

From the network map tab....things *I* (just me, maybe others) think would be pulled into the dashboard view are:

Internet Status blob
Internet traffic live graph
cpu live graphs
RAM live graph
Clients (with the view list button)
add in from elsewhere
Uptime
Temperature (of course!)
VPN Status
addons
maybe the most recent summary of all usage pic if using vnstat
and the last test result if using spdmerlin
(or have choices available from the addons when dictating the layout of the dashboard)

So recently, I went down a pfSense rabbit hole and experimented with running my home network through that. I even finally buckled down and learned to do a Wireguard to NordVPN implementation, etc.

Ultimately, the thing that pulled me back was my inability to get an Open NAT on my xbox(es) like I could with Merlin (believe me, I went deep into the NAT topics and tried multiple configurations to move it off of strict. best I could do was Moderate)......Plus, I liked a lot of the implementations and the presentations of them via the merlin menus. Anyway, I digress....

What I really did enjoy about the pfSense experience was the dashboard, and i'm wondering if there's something that can be done on the Merlin side of things, either as an add-on or tweaks on the Network Map page. I'm guessing those are probably required to remain as they are, but guessing an addon page could pull from it the relevant parts, as well as others....

For me, I like seeing the System Status tab, from Internet Traffic down through RAM, but would also love to see maybe a snippet of vnstat, last spdMerlin result, vpn client status, etc.

I'm guessing the massive customization available on the pfSense one is a bit harder to emulate, because they're putting in the hooks for those widgets, and they're objects that you can drag around the screen....but...just saying....for all you wonderful, smart, capable devlopers out there....it might be a fun challenge ;)

From the network map tab....things *I* (just me, maybe others) think would be pulled into the dashboard view are:

Internet Status blob
cpu live graphs
RAM live graph
add in from elsewhere
Uptime
Temperature (of course!)
VPN Status
addons
(or have choices available from the addons when dictating the layout of the dashboard)

Have you checked out scMerlin?

Internet Status blob
cpu live graphs
RAM live graph
add in from elsewhere
Uptime
Temperature (of course!)
VPN Status
addons
It might be a fun challenge, but inherently complex.

I know several users who have survived being your guinea pig. I think we will be fine!
Other than the vnStat stuff, I'd say most of what is being requested is already available in RTRMON... except for the fact that it's not in a pretty pfsense-like GUI. ;)

Internet Status blob
cpu live graphs
RAM live graph
add in from elsewhere
Uptime
Temperature (of course!)
VPN Status
addons
Have you looked at installing the entware package "netdata" on your router (opkg install netdata > reboot)? It has quite a bit of what you're looking for (not speedtest nor vnStat but a lot of the live information). On a modern router (AX86U) the resource use didn't seem horrible.

In the end I didn't need to monitor live very often, so I disabled it (/opt/etc/init.d/S60netdata stop) but it's still installed.

netdata.jpg

Have you looked at installing the entware package "netdata" on your router (opkg install netdata > reboot)? It has quite a bit of what you're looking for (not speedtest nor vnStat but a lot of the live information). On a modern router (AX86U) the resource use didn't seem horrible.

In the end I didn't need to monitor live very often, so I disabled it (/opt/etc/init.d/S60netdata stop) but it's still installed.

View attachment 53349
... and to access it once it's running: router.ip.address:19999

I've used scMerlin in the past, and it's not quite what I was meaning. @dev_null thanks for that suggestion, I'll give it an install and play with it. I suspect I'll eventually go down the same path as you in terms of not needing to monitor very often....I suspect it's because I'd done my dive into pfSense, and then coming back to merlin that I've got my drive piqued. Cheers!

I've used scMerlin in the past, and it's not quite what I was meaning. @dev_null thanks for that suggestion, I'll give it an install and play with it. I suspect I'll eventually go down the same path as you in terms of not needing to monitor very often....I suspect it's because I'd done my dive into pfSense, and then coming back to merlin that I've got my drive piqued. Cheers!
There's apparently a python plugin for netstat that pulls from vnStat on "full" linux installs (see: https://github.com/NoahTroy/netdata....plugin/vnstat#vnstat-monitoring-with-netdata and https://github.com/netdata/netdata/pull/8955) but I'm not going to comment about python on Merlin.

I confess that with the daily digests that Jack and I built into vnStat on Merlin I don't often look at the graphs, I just glace at the reports in the email. Perhaps @Viktor Jaep could consider creating a daily email digest of some of the attributes captured in his fine add-on?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!