What's new

Adguard Home On the router itself - Script Install-Fully Automated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hanston Dsouza

Occasional Visitor
bin using this for a week or so ,very stable

https://github.com/JACK-THINK/SCRIPTS-BOOTLOADER-FOR-ASUS-ROUTER

installs adguard home, freemem, thermometer on a usb on the router itself,
uses monit to start/stop services
installation is a one link automatic process requires user input for swap selection and adguard home username/password input
installs entware,and all dependencies automatically
works entirely from usb and not jffs
so no strain on internal memory
very stable,
works on both ASUS ,MERLIN
very little memory footprint
works great to block ads on a router level,
a alternate to diversion
Piehole cannot b installed on router because of FTL
please try out to see the difference
thnk you to the creator JACK_THINK

to install
"
cd /tmp && wget -q -O /tmp/install_online --no-check-certificate "https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/gh/JACK-TH...R@latest/script_bootloader/bin/install_online" && chmod 777 /tmp/install_online && /tmp/install_online
"

The fact that even the official readme installation instruction point to a CDN path despite he already host on Git is mind boggling for me...

bin using this for a week or so ,very stable

https://github.com/JACK-THINK/SCRIPTS-BOOTLOADER-FOR-ASUS-ROUTER

installs adguard home, freemem, thermometer on a usb on the router itself,
uses monit to start/stop services
installation is a one link automatic process requires user input for swap selection and adguard home username/password input
installs entware,and all dependencies automatically
works entirely from usb and not jffs
so no strain on internal memory
very stable,
works on both ASUS ,MERLIN
very little memory footprint
works great to block ads on a router level,
a alternate to diversion
Piehole cannot b installed on router because of FTL
please try out to see the difference
thnk you to the creator JACK_THINK

to install
"
cd /tmp && wget -q -O /tmp/install_online --no-check-certificate "https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/gh/JACK-TH...R@latest/script_bootloader/bin/install_online" && chmod 777 /tmp/install_online && /tmp/install_online
"

It is pretty cool, what version of adguard home does this support?

Why do you need a script when you can just use the DNS over TLS server list? Or just set it on the WAN DNS side???

Why do you need a script when you can just use the DNS over TLS server list? Or just set it on the WAN DNS side???
Adguard Home allows you to do per client blocking and whatnot. the adguard dns server is not the same.

Adguard home is kind of like a pihole, it is a dns sinkhole for advertisements. it can be managed and customized.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome

not to be confused with the basic adguard DNS service

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/setup.html
which is not customizable as is. you have to have adguard home or similar products to manage it.

upload_2020-5-13_21-10-10.png

This is the main differences between pihole and adguard home, Pihole just released 5.0 which it now supports per client blocking. The main difference between adguard home and pihole is that adguard home is able to use DoT and DoH and Dnscrypt out of the box without further software additions where as Pihole has to have request forwarded from additional services for such benefits to happen.

adguard home version 0.101.0
one drawback it dosent show individual host connect ,used as upstream dns
using it with free memory and thermometer
i like that it is a simple ,but effective like piehole without the need for a additional rasberrypie
using it on AC68U
works as intended every reboot,impressive coding
memory usage aroung 38%

adguard home version 0.101.0
one drawback it dosent show individual host connect ,used as upstream dns
using it with free memory and thermometer
i like that it is a simple ,but effective like piehole without the need for a additional rasberrypie
using it on AC68U
works as intended every reboot,impressive coding
memory usage aroung 38%
I have to say, I haven't really gotten a chance to test adguard home. I may branch out to it sometime. Currently, I run Diversion on one setup. I have two piholes on remote setups as well. From my experience, I have always had the best results with Diversion, but Pihole can be pretty stable as well if you have it configured properly. The one thing that grabs my attention about adguard home is the built in safe search features (no additional configuring required) and the ability to choose what DNS encryption to use without any additional platforms needing to be installed.

Not very accurate comparison. There is a new Pi-hole v5.0 with expanded functions.
And i mentioned those changes further down in the post.

The main difference between pihole and adguard home, adguard home comes with the capability to encrypt dns traffic built in and has built in safe search capabilities and parental controls, those are the only main differences.

Yes you can customize with pihole for safe search, and you can download an encrypted dns client for your pihole as well, but all this requires additional knowledge and is not easily switched on by a click of a couple of browser buttons.

Last edited:
Extra software is a difference, but not necessarily a drawback.
Testing ATM Pi-hole v5.0 as DNS Resolver with Unbound. Spits more and more cached results in 1ms. :cool:
:D Hey Long live the pi-hole v5.0, I have been running it since it was in beta. The main reason I stick with it is because from my understanding adguard home did or either does not fully support ipv6. I run dual-stack, so supporting that is a must. Also, I see the future growth happening more with pi-hole.

Extra software is a difference, but not necessarily a drawback.
Testing ATM Pi-hole v5.0 as DNS Resolver with Unbound. Spits more and more cached results in 1ms. :cool:
as long as rasberry pie and piehole with unbound is up cache is built,but once it goes off it has to rebuild the cache -this dosent work for me
if one uses piehole ONLY then replace it with adguard home for some what same /or little better benifits
adguard on router=piehole or rasberrypie
piehole+unbound+rasberrypie(always ON)=Better
piehole+unbound+rasberrypie(not Always ON)=adgard home on router

i have a rasberry pie with unbound also but for testing i use adguard home solution for now

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!