What's new

Adguard Home On the router itself - Script Install-Fully Automated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Takes a long time to install.
Finished and all status is OK.
Some sites are detecting an ad blocker like dailymail.com and won't load unless I enable uBlock Origin ad block chrome plug in.
Is there anyway to configure Adguard or add exceptions or things?
Is there any advantage to use this instead of just using the Adguard DNS?
Did you actually successfully install this and run it? Tbh I couldn't see my self installing something that ask me to type in my Router User name and Password
upload_2020-5-18_9-34-45.png

Did you actually successfully install this and run it? Tbh I couldn't see my self installing something that ask me to type in my Router User name and Password
Yeah, my thoughts too.

Yeah, my thoughts too.
Looks like it saves them in plain text on the router and the USB drive?!
Code:
/opt/bin/echo -e "ADMINUSER=\"${ADMINUSER}\"" > "${SBL_SYS_ETC}/sbl_credentials"
/opt/bin/echo -e "ADMINPASSWORD=\"${ADMINPASSWORD}\"" >> "${SBL_SYS_ETC}/sbl_credentials"
/opt/bin/cp -f "${SBL_SYS_ETC}/sbl_credentials" "/opt/etc"

Looks like it saves them in plain text on the router and the USB drive?!
Code:
/opt/bin/echo -e "ADMINUSER=\"${ADMINUSER}\"" > "${SBL_SYS_ETC}/sbl_credentials"
/opt/bin/echo -e "ADMINPASSWORD=\"${ADMINPASSWORD}\"" >> "${SBL_SYS_ETC}/sbl_credentials"
/opt/bin/cp -f "${SBL_SYS_ETC}/sbl_credentials" "/opt/etc"

Is there a recommended safe way to store this? Likely most encryption will need you to store the key... on the USB drive. No Secure Enclave right?

Is there a recommended safe way to store this? Likely most encryption will need you to store the key... on the USB drive. No Secure Enclave right?
nvram stores it encrypted already - I'm not sure why you would need the router admin password for anything other than the http daemon itself

nvram stores it encrypted already - I'm not sure why you would need the router admin password for anything other than the http daemon itself
The way i see it is, if you can't do it from a terminal session, then why bother. I bet it is for setting up the samba storage credentials, but still why should it have to be the router login name and password, if it is from a separate samba instance.

I uninstalled this.
Sticking with the AdGuard DNS. It is simple and perfect.

Baby Jesus and Holy Mother Teresa.

Why was Adguard DNS wasn't extensively promoted here on the forums??

I removed adguard safari extension and adguard software from my Mac.
Set up Adguard DNS on Mac, AC68 and on HotSpot.
Connected to my iPhone as a test which is directly connected to the web with no AD guards or barriers.... and my Mac has no ads. None. There are no ads.

As a final test, I removed Diversion from my Asus 68 router.
Drum roll....... there are no ads!!

Why aren't we talking about this?? I no longer have a single piece of software on my Mac or on my router, and I no longer have any ads. Nothing, nada, zilch.... no ads, just by switching to Adguard DSN.
News Websites, Torrent sites are notorious for ads and pop up ads... and I havent seen a single ad, pop ad or redirection to another website.

Con;
Some sites do load slower and have to be refreshed. But its a small price to pay.
You will get ads in YouTube videos.

Last edited:
Baby Jesus and Holy Mother Teresa.

Why was Adguard DNS wasn't extensively promoted here on the forums??
Because it's not a free service?
Diversion is.

Adguard DNS is free. Just like OpenDNS, CloudFare or Google DNS.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html#instruction
The one thing that gets me is this software used to install adguardhome ask for your router user name and password on installation. I could never condo that . Also from my understanding adguard home software doesnt adequately support ipv6. That is probably why pages are loading slower, plus this installer does not properly setup per client monitoring like adguardhome software is able to do.

The one thing that gets me is this software used to install adguardhome ask for your router user name and password on installation. I could never condo that . Also from my understanding adguard home software doesnt adequately support ipv6. That is probably why pages are loading slower, plus this installer does not properly setup per client monitoring like adguardhome software is able to do.

Did you take the time and look at the link that I posted?

I'll post it one more time: https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html#instruction

No software installation required. All you have to do is plug in DNS address. IPV4 or IPV6

Did you take the time and look at the link that I posted?

I'll post it one more time: https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html#instruction

No software installation required. All you have to do is plug in DNS address. IPV4 or IPV6
I am not talking about the link you posted I am referring to the link posted at the first page of this thread. As this thread is about
Adguard Home On the router itself - Script Install-Fully Automated
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-itself-script-install-fully-automated.64076/
and not adguard dns server

Last edited:
Adguard DNS is free. Just like OpenDNS, CloudFare or Google DNS.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html#instruction
With services like ADguard, you become the product. You hand out your personal-ish info like browsing habits, sites you have visited, devices you have, etc. for free and they sell/use/reuse/redistribute/research your info to earn money. I personally would prefer to use Diversion versus an ad blocking DNS.

After AdMuncher died, I used Adguard for windows software before they had Adguard DNS. Just an incredible software and support. I have at least 3 lifetime licenses and 4 lifetime android lifetime licenses. It is that good. I have submitted support tickets and they had fixed the issues the by the next day usually.
Any DNS server could sell your data. I don't GAF. AG DNS is simple and it works. I do supplement it with uBlock Origin Chrome plugin. It is the perfect combo to block everything.

With services like ADguard, you become the product. You hand out your personal-ish info like browsing habits, sites you have visited, devices you have, etc. for free and they sell/use/reuse/redistribute/research your info to earn money. I personally would prefer to use Diversion versus an ad blocking DNS.

Many companies sell your info and data, CVS, Food Lion, Target, Best Buy.....etc etc etc etc.
But in return, you get free DNS service that works any where on the go, not just at home.

Sure Diversion is a good, but it still behind in few areas and has a limitation.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!