What's new

AdGuard Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kavie87

New Around Here
Hey all,

I've moved over to an Asus GT-AX6000 router recently. I have installed merlin. I am having an issue with getting internet when I change my DHCP DNS to my Raspberry Pi for Adguard Home.
I have set up Adguard Home in the interim on the router but am finding that it is using a lot of the ram and its running at 93%.
On my previous modem/router I was able to run the Pi as the DNS server. I don't use Adguard Home for DHCP at all.

I've tried copying the DNS upstreams from what is installed on the router Adguard without success either.

Ideally wanting to use 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2

Any assistance to get this running properly would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
kavie

You need to provide more information for how your _exactly_ you're trying to configure your router and you RaspPi. (FYI, I use both a RaspPi and a VM running Adguard with a router that uses Merlin).

Next steps / tests:
Eliminate the Adguard install on the RaspPi by pointing one client there manually.
If that works, provide detailed router settings​
If that does NOT work, fix your Adguard install on RaspPi​
Good luck!

So the ip address is X.x.x.171 for the raspberry pi. I have set up the DNS address for DHCP to that on the ASUS. Raspberry Pi is running Diet Pi OS I think it’s called. Had it running on Raspbian OS with the same issues. And when I moved over from my previous modem I kept all the same settings.

under dhcp card I’ve got

Enable the DHCP Server Yes
Hide DHCP/RA queries No
Domain name kavie87.xyz
IP pool standard 192.168.19.3-254
Default gateway blank.

DNS Server 1 192.168.19.171
Server2 blank

Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS Yes

Enable Manual Assignment Yes

And some static IP address.

So the ip address is X.x.x.171 for the raspberry pi. I have set up the DNS address for DHCP to that on the ASUS. Raspberry Pi is running Diet Pi OS I think it’s called. Had it running on Raspbian OS with the same issues. And when I moved over from my previous modem I kept all the same settings.

under dhcp card I’ve got

Enable the DHCP Server Yes
Hide DHCP/RA queries No
Domain name kavie87.xyz
IP pool standard 192.168.19.3-254
Default gateway blank.

DNS Server 1 192.168.19.171
Server2 blank

Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS Yes

Enable Manual Assignment Yes

And some static IP address.
You have a couple of settings wrong.

To start, the only place you should be entering any DNS IP info is on the LAN/DHCP page. Do not enter anything on the WAN.

Here is a snap of my settings. (ipv6 covered up for security reasons)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 233
I have a similar setup to @tnpapa just using different upstream servers which is totally your choice. Works great for me.

I do have a question though, @tnpapa I see you are using the IPv6 in the DNS on the router. Is Adguard Home able to identify all the IPv6 clients properly? I had tried that at one point and they would just show with the IP and not my hostnames so I ended up forcing all the local DNS to use IPv4 with a postconf script.

No, when they connect by ipv6 I don't get the names. But they hardly ever do. I put it in there more as an experiment to see if it would work. I used to use pihole and ipv6 was not really supported at all. At least 6 years ago when I last used it.

No, when they connect by ipv6 I don't get the names. But they hardly ever do. I put it in there more as an experiment to see if it would work. I used to use pihole and ipv6 was not really supported at all. At least 6 years ago when I last used it.
Odd when I tried the IPv6 it would be over 50% would connect that way and it was annoying that I did not get the client hostnames. Pi-hole when I tried that could also do IPv6 and it would sometimes figure out the MAC/hostname but not always. The issues also is if you leave that IPv6 spot bank then the router hands out its own IPv6 IP even if you have the option above deselected. So I ended up using a postconf script to set it to the IPv4 address mapped as an IPv6, I think if you just delete it the clients just start using the router IP anyway.

I did not see the router handing out any IPv6 unless I put something in that box. I would say maybe 5% of my queries show up as IPv6.

Odd when I tried the IPv6 it would be over 50% would connect that way and it was annoying that I did not get the client hostnames. Pi-hole when I tried that could also do IPv6 and it would sometimes figure out the MAC/hostname but not always. The issues also is if you leave that IPv6 spot bank then the router hands out its own IPv6 IP even if you have the option above deselected. So I ended up using a postconf script to set it to the IPv4 address mapped as an IPv6, I think if you just delete it the clients just start using the router IP anyway.
I did not see the router handing out any IPv6 unless I put something in that box. I would say maybe 5% of my queries show up as IPv6.
AdGuardHome only supports hostnames for "static" or "stateful" dhcpv6. Any slaac or stateless addresses get identified using WHOIS only. (usually shows your ISP as hostname.) IF they ever implement the identification by ECS extension/EDNS , they will get slightly closer to pihole in being able to identify stateless by "associating" the hostname to the client like pihole does. Pihole has a pretty good "method" for identifying hostnames for ipv6 clients (stateless, or statefull); however, it is partially disabled by default because identifying stateless ipv6 can be a bit problematic with clients that rotate to different ipv6 addresses frequently.

Last edited:
Tried these settings. Still not working. And kills my router name too.
Was looking at the asus website for installing PiHole and it says to setup the pi lan in the wan settings which doesn’t make sense to me…

you have something not right. Also should mention that if you have DNS Director on, you must turn it off. It wont work with it on. Also you are sure you have the correct IPv4 address in the LAN settings?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 6.59.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 6.59.09 PM.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 6.59.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 6.59.44 PM.png
    147 KB · Views: 181
you have something not right. Also should mention that if you have DNS Director on, you must turn it off. It wont work with it on. Also you are sure you have the correct IPv4 address in the LAN settings?

You don’t need to disable DNS Director.

You need to add an entry for your RPi and set it to No Redirection whilst having the Global Mode set as Router.

You need to add an entry for your RPi and set it to No Redirection whilst having the Global Mode set as Router.
BINGO! Otherwise DNS Director will try to "Direct" the traffic of the RPI. You don't want that because you want the RPI's traffic to be unchanged, uninterrupted, and unhindered since it's DNS is expected to remain the same.

BINGO! Otherwise DNS Director will try to "Direct" the traffic of the RPI. You don't want that because you want the RPI's traffic to be unchanged, uninterrupted, and unhindered since it's DNS is expected to remain the same.
What I find quite baffling is why DNS director will try and interfere with the RPI's traffic if the GLOBAL mode is set to "no redirection". The logic here sounds quite confusing to say the least.

What I find quite baffling is why DNS director will try and interfere with the RPI's traffic if the GLOBAL mode is set to "no redirection". The logic here sounds quite confusing to say the least.
Obviously it wouldn't unless dns director was flawed, however it would if the router global mode was set to "router" or anything els other than "No redirection". If dns director was not the issue, we could be looking at a problem with vpn director if it is in use and incorrectly configured as well.

I was kinda in the same boat as OP.
What i'm trying to do, is in DNS director, set a custom profile with my AGH ip, and create an entry for a specific device to use that the custom profile. (Global mode is currently set to router)

I would like to keep a different DNS for the rest of the devices connected to my network.

It doesn't appear to be working though... is that a restriction of DNS director?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!