What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You are correct. My AC68U got a 800 Mhz CPU, and my AC66U_B1 a 1000 MHz. The latter is now set up as router (which is actually how it was when I started with this in January).

AiMesh still not working though.

I might try again when a new firmware comes. But basically I am feed up with AiMesh and will go for plan B, which is to crawl in to a small space in the attic to access some tubes with RG6 and replace it with CAT5 and set the AC68U as an AP.
Read somewhere you have to disable or change a feature to get it working but cannot remember which one it was. Something like Airtime or use WPA2-AES or disable Smart Connect, sorry cannot remember what it has been :oops::confused: Could have been on Admin page as well, SSH or not ... it was something stupid he en- or dis-abled to get it pairing, turn off samba, Ai-services and all stuff not needed for pairing.

You could easily OC (if you want to call it OC) your 68U to 1GHz too if you want to (1GHz is quite save for all 68Us).
Mine running fine on 1200MHz, 1400 not possible more than a minute.

Last edited:
Yes I have 3 Asus routers, 1 main & 2 nodes on latest FW with no issues at all. I realized I also updated my internet speeds (from 150 to 300 mbps) that required a 16x8 channel modem vs my old 8x4. Once I replaced my modem all my drops disappeared.

It would a great idea to post your internet speeds and type of modem you're using to better get an idea with why some folks are having constant issues with WiFi drops etc....just a thought

. I realized I also updated my internet speeds (from 150 to 300 mbps) that required a 16x8 channel modem vs my old 8x4. Once I replaced my modem all my drops disappeared.
What are these 16x8, 8x4 you are talking about? My internet line is fibre cable with pppoe dialing, don't know if those things you talk apply?

You are correct. My AC68U got a 800 Mhz CPU, and my AC66U_B1 a 1000 MHz. The latter is now set up as router (which is actually how it was when I started with this in January).

AiMesh still not working though.

I might try again when a new firmware comes. But basically I am feed up with AiMesh and will go for plan B, which is to crawl in to a small space in the attic to access some tubes with RG6 and replace it with CAT5 and set the AC68U as an AP.

Thanks for input and advise though.

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

My memory is a little vague on this, but I think you have to ensure your SSID isn't hidden for AiMesh to find the nodes. I believe this stalled me for the little bit at first.

What are these 16x8, 8x4 you are talking about? My internet line is fibre cable with pppoe dialing, don't know if those things you talk apply?

Those numbers refer to cable modem channels and channel bonding. Google it if you're curious.

OE

Last edited:
Well, I have gone full circle and went back to mesh, its gotten a lot better for me. Though I am now using Merlin Router <-> AiMesh Router

Nope, nothing changed 2 routers, 1 Merlin to 2nd router in AP/AiMesh Router mode.

<Merlin Router, DHCP etc>---<AP/AiMesh Router / just handles the wireless connections>--- <Nodes>

Maybe that's how I have to set mine up too... I bought two 86u's thinking it would be great, but clients drop in and out for no reason and no matter which version of the firmware I use something is fked.

Maybe it's time to roll Merlin, put in the long time getting it all tweaked correctly, and go AP mode....

Nope, nothing changed 2 routers, 1 Merlin to 2nd router in AP/AiMesh Router mode.

<Merlin Router, DHCP etc>---<AP/AiMesh Router / just handles the wireless connections>--- <Nodes>

So, everything is wired and you have 6! AiMesh nodes counting the root node? Are you covering a very very very large area or do you have difficult surroundings?

OE

I see what you mean. I must have glossed over that post... sorry.

OE
All good, no reason to be sorry. It's been keeping this geek going for 15 years now (in this home) and how best to get the WiFi everywhere without gaps. :p

Yes I have CAT6 throughout the house but it's the clients connected to the wired AiMesh node I had trouble with...
I don't mean to rehash anything you've already outlined. But can you describe the issue or is there a topic/post of yours, where I can read more about it ?

Edit: I pulled up some of them via your profile page. I’ll give them, a look over.

I think @OzarkEdge would be the prime one to talk with about the 86U.

No post, not enough time. Just the observation that AiMesh is not there yet for me the way it sure will in the future, that is why I am keeping the spare RT-AC86U...
I had my iPad lose connection often to the node on 5Ghz (maybe not related to AiMesh?)

I don't think I read anything about the speed when wi-fi clients connect to one wired AiMesh node. Is there a difference between the AiMesh node compared to only using a router?

Personally and just in my personal observations. I have trouble with my connection on my iPhone or iPad when I rotate the passphrase.

It seems Apple is comparing the BSSID in the background (my assumption), since I have multiple nodes. I see a bunch of pop ups telling me the passphrase is incorrect. I know its not it just connected an hour ago etc. (But I could be on a different node)
What I have done lately is to forget the WiFi connection and then setup as new. Even going through the prompt of the password is wrong and entering the correct password, the next time the device reboots or occasionally when it attempts a re connect. I’ll get the prompt again for the password being wrong.

Another thing is I have very poor results of the share password from Apple device to Apple device. https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/07/ios-11-wi-fi-password-nearby/

What works best for me is to copy the password out of my password manager and past it in the prompt each time, or if you can't past manually, type it. It's a pain across 5 sets of iOS devices, his, hers, 3 kids, but it works the best.

The Mrs MacBook is the worst one for keeping and storing the password unless I forget and re setup. I have even gone so far as to edit the entry in the macOS keychain manually, but even that doesn't work as good as setting it up from scratch.

After a bit it just settles down and stops the erroneous pop ups. With no rhyme or reason when it happens. For us its usually a day or at most 2 after I rotate the password.

Which incidentally I just did 2 days ago. No more pop ups.

Last edited:
...and I just moved back again to AiMesh configuration.
Couldn't stand the modem noise (fan noise) in my office upstairs so again moved cable modem and RT-AC86U (AiMesh router) to the basement and the wired AiMesh node (Rt-AC86U) to my office...

...and I just moved back again to AiMesh configuration.
Couldn't stand the modem noise (fan noise) in my office upstairs so again moved cable modem and RT-AC86U (AiMesh router) to the basement and the wired AiMesh node (Rt-AC86U) to my office...

That's the spirit! :)

OE

Having said that, I moved again to one Router (RT-AC86U) with Merlin firmware in our upstairs office. I realized that one router actually covers our 3-floor house incl basement perfectly fine.
Getting above 450Mbps on 5GHz wifi upstairs and still above 200Mbps in remote basement rooms...
Used the RT-AC68U before but the 86U has better signal strength > No More AiMesh, no more dropping nodes :)

Alright, so it's been 8 months since I asked the question if anyone had given up. Turns out, I decided to stick it out myself.
We've added about 50 m2 to the house too, so I had to decide how to extend the wireless network as part of the process.
I decided to give Asus and aimesh another try, and added a 2nd AC68U as a node. Got a really good deal on it online.

Current config:

Main - AC68U - 3.0.0.4.384_45149
Node #1 - AC66U_B1 - 3.0.0.4.384_45149
Node #2 - AC68U - 3.0.0.4.384_45149

All wired backhaul.

Short story, it works well now. I've seen improvements for every firmware update, but also added a weekly reboot. Rebooting weekly helped with the initial issues I had back when I started the thread, but not really sure if it's necessary. Keeping it in though.

No other hacks. Pretty much standard settings. Disabled airtime fairness way back. Still disabled, but not sure if it means anything.

No real stability issues. The occasional node handover problem where a phone or device will be "stuck" on one of the nodes, and Sonos and Spotify Direct does not work well with Aimesh. You need to be on the same node as the Sonos device in order to find it using Spotify Direct. Not a biggy though.

My biggest issue is with the router GUI really. Especially log files and device status/overview and similar. Seems to me they could have done a much better job with that.
The Asus app on my phone is also lacking compared to the Orbi, Google equivalents.

I have been upgrading, but not really factory resetting after each upgrade or anything. Contemplating doing that if I find the time, but since everything works well now, why bother?

Edit - firmware version formatting

Alright, so it's been 8 months since I asked the question if anyone had given up. Turns out, I decided to stick it out myself.
We've added about 50 m2 to the house too, so I had to decide how to extend the wireless network as part of the process.
I decided to give Asus and aimesh another try, and added a 2nd AC68U as a node. Got a really good deal on it online...

Great summary!
We had at one time 3 Asus routers in AiMesh, it got the better of me :)
I honestly think AiMesh is not for prime time, too many things are not clear, at least to me.

- Channel sharing, why? Nodes/Router should be on separate channels
- Ability to assign individual clients to either nodes or router...
- Needs to be as stable as an individual router setup

I may be completely wrong though.

Last edited: