What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aimesh on:
AX88U (Merlin latest FW) -> AC88U (ASUS Stock FW)
AIMesh does work but 5Ghz Wifi from the AX88U drops off (still on in menu, and LED light)
Might be a compatiblity issue
It will work again if you power off the node (AC88U) and do some reboots and/or manually change some router settings

Might test AX88U (Merlin) -> AC88U (AP)(Merlin). If 5Ghz works fine on the head router, I might stick to that.
If not, I'll send back the AX88U

You must not use Merlin on Aimesh-node!
For nodes u have to use Asus stock-firmware, only on master Merlin released an alpha 384.13 with Aimesh support.

Last edited:
You must not use Merlin on Aimesh-node!
For nodes u have to use Asus stock-firmware, only on master Merlin released a alpha 384.13 with Aimesh support.
node is using asus stock firmware
aha, did not know about the alpha fw. I'll have a look on that

I am about to give up on AiMesh, the only thing that is keeping me from switching to AP with shared SSID is that I don't have time at the moment (moving).

I am using 3 68u with the latest firmware. All had nvram cleared using multiple means/times and configured from scratch. While I love the mesh functionality, the biggest (and perhaps the only that matters) is the frequent drop-out when connecting on wifi. On my home where there are multiple (20+) wireless devices, I can see that each device gets disconnected/re-connected. It is to a point that real-time voice/video chat is impossible to use.

I have tried the typical suggestions:
- install the latest software,
- nvram reset on all routers/nodes
- manually configure the aimesh router, nothing fancy enabled (ai-protection, etc)
- connecting the nodes one by one,
- adjust the roaming-assistance (on or off), etc

Once I move to my new house (which is bigger), I would love to keep on using AiMesh, but will probably start trying out the standard AP with shared SSID approach first.

If there is any suggestions that may help my AiMesh problem, I would really appreciate,

regards,

I am about to give up on AiMesh, the only thing that is keeping me from switching to AP with shared SSID is that I don't have time at the moment (moving).

I am using 3 68u with the latest firmware. All had nvram cleared using multiple means/times and configured from scratch. While I love the mesh functionality, the biggest (and perhaps the only that matters) is the frequent drop-out when connecting on wifi. On my home where there are multiple (20+) wireless devices, I can see that each device gets disconnected/re-connected. It is to a point that real-time voice/video chat is impossible to use.

- manually configure the aimesh router, nothing fancy enabled (ai-protection, etc)

Once I move to my new house (which is bigger), I would love to keep on using AiMesh, but will probably start trying out the standard AP with shared SSID approach first.

If there is any suggestions that may help my AiMesh problem, I would really appreciate,

regards,

Are you using separate SSIDs for each band?

OE

regards,

I have changed from AImesh to the AP approach, everything works perfect.
I even used the latest Alpha FW that mentioned Grisu on previous post for the Front router (AX88u)
So, I Used the Same SSIDs ,passw. , changed some Roaming settings (Wireless>prof) and the Tx power adjustment so things will work as an AImesh.
Only downside is, everything connected to the AP routers are seen as LAN and not WIFI, but that's a detail. (Because both routers are connected via LAN, through cabling)

AI Mesh with Ethernet onboarding is currently useless for Wifi6 or AX based Mesh devices. Ethernet backhaul is limited to 1 Gigabit while AX can go up to 4804 Mbps (Asus website for RT-AX88U)
So you are clearly held back because Asus refused to give 5 Gigabit LAN ports for these beta routers. Asus engineers think through their knees sometimes... or they are smarter and we are idiots.

It's not usuless, it's just not using it's full capabilities as it's meant for.
If your internet is not surpassing 1GB/S, why do you need more 5GB/s?
AX88U even supports dual Wan (1+1Gbps), if needed
Certainly if your ISP will not release more than 1GB/s from now to 3years onward for consumers.
I bought the AX because I needed more WIFI cover inhouse. You choose between a cheaper router or an AX router (second hand maybe )? Not having any AX clients, it's still a powerfull device.
I'm pretty happy with the purchase.