What's new

AiMesh mixing router firmwares?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KidJoe

Occasional Visitor
So currently I have an AiMesh setup. The Asus ROG GT-AX6000 is the main (Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.388_23012), and I have two wired notes which are RT-AX88U (Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.388_22525) , and TUF-AX5400 (Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.388_22525). Its been stable, gives great coverage, and I've been very happy. (I am using managed switches and vlans along the wires between the GT-AX6000 and the nodes so Guest network works).

I've found many posts that say when using AiMesh you should keep the firmware the same on all the routers. Like keep them all on 3.0.0.4.388_xxxxx, where the xxxx can vary, but try to keep the XXXX close if not the same too, as it can impact stability.

What I haven't seen is the impact of features if the routers have different firmware.

I'm asking because now I see a new firmware for the ROG GT-AX6000, Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_21514, has come out that has Kids Wifi and IoT Wifi features. These interest me. BUT there isn't a 3.0.0.6.xxxx for the AX88U or AX5400.

IF I upgrade the GT-AX6000, I should expect it could impact stability of the AiMesh, is that correct?

If I do upgrade the GT-AX6000, will devices connecting to the AX88U and TUF-5400 (still on 3.0.0.4.x) be able to make use of the Kids Wifi or IOT Wifi features? Or will I need to wait for 3.0.0.6 on the other two routers before I can use Kids Wifi and IOT wifi for devices connecting to those nodes?

The other two routers will possibly never get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware.

IME, the most stable networks are with identical routers running identical firmware. Plan accordingly if your usage requires the highest stability, reliability, and availability of your network. However, there are many reports of people using vastly different routers and firmware versions that seem to work well enough for them.

The question is, do you feel lucky? If you do, play it by ear and see what happens. Note though, that once you jump to a newer firmware version, you may not be able to go back.

The other two routers will possibly never get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware.

IME, the most stable networks are with identical routers running identical firmware. Plan accordingly if your usage requires the highest stability, reliability, and availability of your network. However, there are many reports of people using vastly different routers and firmware versions that seem to work well enough for them.

The question is, do you feel lucky? If you do, play it by ear and see what happens. Note though, that once you jump to a newer firmware version, you may not be able to go back.

So stability aside, what about the features? Am I stuck being unable to use them if the other two routers don't get upgraded?

Yes. You may be able to use those features on the supported routers, but no guarantees on other non-upgradable models.

So stability aside, what about the features? Am I stuck being unable to use them if the other two routers don't get upgraded?
I have been wondering just that. We are expecting an upgrade to the AX86U Pro firmware to the 3.0.0.6.102.XXXXX sometime in the future. The Guest network flows over to the AX886U via a VLAN setting now. So, will those VLAN settings migrate with the new firmware? It should but my foray into the AX86U Pro beta showed me that the GN1 was converted to a different VLAN number other than the 501 (I think) that GN1 on 2.4 GHz has now. If the settings do migrate with the upgrade you may have some switch configs to do. I don't remember if I tried AiMesh with the beta firmware. Likely not as it was a quick flash and back when I discovered DNSSEC was not in the beta.

As a rule of thumb, your router is the only one exposed directly to internet and it should run the latest non-beta firmware.
Nodes can be older but you have to pay attention to AiMesh&LAN you're using.
To be fair, there are little differences in that space between 3.0.0.4 and 3.0.0.6, so very likely you'll be fine. But do test thoroughly on your particular setup when you decide to upgrade your router.
But, for ex, beta 9 something has a bunch of vlan features that will never work with older firmwares. Guest vlan for ex.

So backup your config, test the newest firmware for your router but be ready for downgrade and config restore if things go south.

As L&D was saying, safest setup is with identical devices running the same firmware. But that is an aim, most of us have to run experiments.

I am running Merlin 388.2_2 on my GT-AX6000 with Asus 6.102_21524 on a GT-AX6000 node with no issues. I have experienced that AiMesh nodes rarely have any issues with newer Asus firmware — if I do notice a problem, it is a simple procedure to revert.

Running AX88U Merlin FW 388.2_2 as router and AX55 stock FW 3.0.0.4.386_51598 as wired AiMesh node. No problems so far.