What's new

[alpha] Early preview builds for Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated, but airtime fairness is not disabled by default:
"5e8cb44 Disable airtime fairness by default - too many compatibility issues at this time"

Anyway for me there was (and there is not) no problem to keep enabled "airtime fairness" .. there are only advantages and not disadvantages.

Default implies doing a factory default reset. Otherwise, it will be whatever value it was set before - the new version does not automatically override its previous value.

"5e8cb44 Disable airtime fairness by default - too many compatibility issues at this time"

Anyway for me there was (and there is not) no problem to keep enabled "airtime fairness" .. there are only advantages and not disadvantages.

Depends on your situation...

Guys just a question

For now the best way is to use 380.65_4 or 380.66 Alpha 2?

Using Alpha 2 here and ssems to be ok

Guys just a question

For now the best way is to use 380.65_4 or 380.66 Alpha 2?

Using Alpha 2 here and ssems to be ok

Depends which router you have. Alpha 2 is okay. It has a few more fixes, and fixed the QoS classification problems where everything was classified as default.

Refreshed builds are available.

Code:
c52b2b2 openvpn: only mark traffic if CTF is enabled
b870074 rc: re-enable code that causes some router models to reboot if one of the radios is disabled at boot time, and set limit it to 1 reboot instead of 3 like it originally did (compromise for issue #1284)
4cd4e93 openvpn: made log verbosity configuration specific to each server/client instances (to be in line with GPL 382)
3ffe814 openvpn: upgrade bundled LZ4 library to 1.7.5
a018d83 openvpn: Upgrade to 2.4.1
0b95bda openvpn: replace deprecated ns-cert-type with remote-cert-tls
712bd9d Updated documentation
662c845 shared: explicitely check for gmac3 being enabled when retrieving wan/lan MAC, rather than checking if it's not force-stopped.
87dc136 rc: initialize gmac3 nvram as disabled on SDK 7.x, else code portions specific to SDK 7.x might break - for instance, it broke various things with the RT-AC3200.
74cc0ea Merge pull request #1273 from blackfuel/torfirewall
24f455b openvpn: Initial support for instance-specific log verbosity; don't enable multihome support as OpenVPN cannot support dual-stack (IPv4/IPv6) environments with older kernels when this option is enabled.  (Backports from 382_9736)
5e8cb44 Disable airtime fairness by default - too many compatibility issues at this time
ad30067 Updated documentation
1eb4eef Merge pull request #1279 from umerov1999/patch-2
0e01ecd Update configure.ac
8e1f754 Updated documentation
4f4fcc5 httpd: temporary patch to protect against CVE-2017-6549 (while we wait for a proper fix from Asus)
ae4382b webui: fix array index used to fill up the port forward table
b616bc5 Tor firewall: inserting NAT rules at bottom is safer

Thank Merlin! I saw this change in the release note. So in all previous versions, AC3100 was using AC88U binary blobs?

Code:
Provide separate binary blobs and wireless driver for AC3100 as they're not entirely identical to the AC88 ones

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/fe27c86c54299185c8ec5507b21b4b058858d919

Thank Merlin! I saw this change in the release note. So in all previous versions, AC3100 was using AC88U binary blobs?

Code:
Provide separate binary blobs and wireless driver for AC3100 as they're not entirely identical to the AC88 ones

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/fe27c86c54299185c8ec5507b21b4b058858d919

Possibly, I don't remember for sure (there's 18 months of development there).

Can i ask just one more question?

Why this high end asus routers have performance boost when we schedule rebbots in the week? Sometimes the wifi signal is not fine, when you reboot everything comes perfect, not only this FW but in every fw i ever tried

Why this high end asus routers have performance boost when we schedule rebbots in the week? Sometimes the wifi signal is not fine, when you reboot everything comes perfect, not only this FW but in every fw i ever tried
Even Ferrari's and Rolls Royces break down or need maintenance to perform at top level....That's just inherent to mechanical machines. Same for electronics. Just the way it is, price level does not differentiate that much in the world of wireless signals.

So the new builds are named xxxx -g3bad925?

My ipv6 to clients from RT-AC87U on 380.66 was unstable. I was using .66 alpha for three weeks and decided to go back to 65_2 for ipv6 stability. Is anybody still experiencing routed ipv6 to clients issues?
I've got an 88U and neither the stock firmware or 66 alpha will maintain an IPv6 connection so I'm running 380.65_2 which thus far has worked the best for me in that regard.

I think about this often. All I know is the device drivers are closed-source blobs and I believe they (the BC engineers) set these blobs to balance optimal performance (given government requirements for signal strength) while managing interference, receive strength, cpu workload, heat, life expectancy, etc..) and no one is ever really happy. Add to that VPN, storage cloud, ad blocker, connect a hard drive...etc.

Anyway when you reboot I have a suspicion the closed-source blob is just comparing new values to a lookup table that was preset by BC engineers for what they consider optimal, and is only allowed to deviate from this table +/- a percentage, and just like your car with fuel injection and timing both change over time. Disconnect your car battery for a few minutes to reset it and you'll feel your engine drift from good to optimal over a week.

Then there is the open-source software that has to interface with these closed-source blobs. Assuming the closed-source blobs are absolutely perfect, the possibilities are now exponential. If your signal strength is getting worse after a week any problems are usually solved by a factory-default-reset. In rare occasions try two in a row. Rebuild with minimal settings and no hard drive attached. Slowly add features until you see a problem.

Also, off-topic, everyone along the supply chain wanted lowest cost, to include paying the software devs, so, here we are. Then there are the board revisions to get even cheaper. And then there is the low amount of RAM. GG Asus. And after all of that there could be a language barrier with Broadcom/Taiwan/US/EU so wireless strength parameters will change once in a while.

I prefer Merlin but have read that John's Fork might be what you want:
This is an LTS (Long Term Service) fork of Asuswrt-Merlin based on 374.43_2. This older code base has a history of being very stable, and some of the older code components may perform better in some environments. It may be a good choice for those who desire a 'set it and forget it' router solution. Additional information on the differences between this firmware and the later Asuswrt-Merlin releases can be found following the recent change highlights.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v23e4-v24b8.18914/

With update alpha2-g3bad925 I've some disconnections on 5 GHz band that instead I never had with previous alpha2.

I too have disconnects on 5ghz as I only use 5ghz. went back to original alpha .66 and no drops yet.

Gentlemen it would appear that this version is having different results with the various models. When I tried it I didn't hard reset my router but the results immediately forced me back to 380.65 so I could get IPv6 connectivity.

on the other hand my ac88u is having no issues
Would you happen to be on Comcast cable? I couldn't get an IPv6 address from them using it on my ac88u as they use prefix designation which is why I fell back to 380.65_2 which has worked so far. I also swapped in a cat 6 cable between the cable modem and the router for better signal quality.

Would you happen to be on Comcast cable? I couldn't get an IPv6 address from them using it on my ac88u as they use prefix designation which is why I fell back to 380.65_2 which has worked so far. I also swapped in a cat 6 cable between the cable modem and the router for better signal quality.

yes,I have a ipv6 address and I'm on comcast cable

ive had issues with comcast cable and ipv6 for the last year. if i have ipv6 enabled no matter the wireless settings i will drop connections every 5 min or so. so for me its not just related to this newer firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.