What's new

[Alpha] Pre-release test builds available (both 380 and 382 branches)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, this might be a little off topic. I'm just curious; what do routers use audio codecs (vorbis) for? I've never seen ogg and vorbis in a router firmware change log before.

I see no WAN interface rules in the tc output you provided, which means you are using Traditional QoS. Traditional QoS doesn't have upstream rules, so that's normal that there's no Upload stats - it's always been like this.
I don't think so bud here are some images of my setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-11-21 07-49-13.png
    Screenshot from 2017-11-21 07-49-13.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 482
  • Screenshot from 2017-11-21 07-50-01.png
    Screenshot from 2017-11-21 07-50-01.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 705
I don't think so bud here are some images of my setup.

Well for some reason your Trend Micro engine doesn't configure any upstream rules on the WAN interface, they're all on the LAN interface. Nothing I can do about it...

Sorry, this might be a little off topic. I'm just curious; what do routers use audio codecs (vorbis) for? I've never seen ogg and vorbis in a router firmware change log before.

I had the same thought! I'm stumped and would love to know.

Well for some reason your Trend Micro engine doesn't configure any upstream rules on the WAN interface, they're all on the LAN interface. Nothing I can do about it...
Hey @RMerlin Ok I changed the setting from manual bandwidth setting to automatic on QOS tab and BOOM I have upload stats. Here are my new settings. It would seem that setting manual bandwidth to 50 up and 50 down is no longer compatible with the trend micro engine.
EDIT: I set the QOS settings to manual bandwidth and put my 50 up and 50 down and I still have stats at this point. However speed test is slightly better with automatic setting. Also I noticed that vpn traffic is no longer tracked by stats. Thanks for the tip to look at trend micro engine and QOS.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-11-21 08-59-52.png
    Screenshot from 2017-11-21 08-59-52.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
I had the same thought! I'm stumped and would love to know.
Same here - but if I were to venture some guesses, native level streaming support would be second to lossless data compression & expansion for network/DL speed- perhaps the "audio codecs" are being applied in novel/unique ways.

How about for use by the DLNA server....

but isn't that just a "container" that transports it's data to other servers? ahhhhhhhhhhh.. because it may need to transcode. Thanks @john9527

but isn't that just a "container" that transports it's data to other servers? ahhhhhhhhhhh.. because it may need to transcode. Thanks @john9527
I don't think it does any transcoding, but it does scan the files to determine/classify valid media files. (FYI, the router also carries ffmpeg)

I have been succesful in getting QOS stats to work both up and down. If I hit apply on the QOS page with no changes this enables all stats. Just one thing when I was using 380.68_4 it would classify vpn traffic as media streaming which was correct. Now the stats do not include any vpn traffic in its graphic display. Is this closed source as well? I have tried using all the settings in QOS and I don't see the traffic anywhere.

Without QOS classifying vpn traffic as anything (anything at all). QOS is basically useless if you use a vpn for video streaming.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but does the ASUS Merlin FW have an option similar to DD-WRT's disable eapol key retries? As I understand it, this option is an AP-side KRACK workaround for unpatched client devices...but I haven't found this implemented in any projects for the RT‑N66U.

Amazing work RMerlin, as always, thank you. Anyone upgrading to this newest build on their RT-AC3200, comments greatly appreciated:)

RT-AC86U on the Tools - Sysinfo page the driver version is reported as :
Code:
wl0: Oct 17 2017 21:33:33 version 10.10.122.20 (r683106) FWID 01-4baba83f

Is this the wireless driver version used?

With the nvram get wl_version command it reports a different version:
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl_version
7.14.164.17 (r683874)
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root#

Which of the two is the wireless driver version?

RT-AC86U on the Tools - Sysinfo page the driver version is reported as :
Code:
wl0: Oct 17 2017 21:33:33 version 10.10.122.20 (r683106) FWID 01-4baba83f

Is this the wireless driver version used?

With the nvram get wl_version command it reports a different version:
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl_version
7.14.164.17 (r683874)
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root#

Which of the two is the wireless driver version?

The webui is correct.

The webui is correct.

Thanks

A few questions @RMerlin;

For the RT-AC86U would an Ext4 file system for attached storage be a better choice as it's running a more recent linux kernel or is it best to stick to Ex3?

I recently changed it from Ext3 to NTFS to test the slow SMB transfers bug but I would like to use Entware and need a Linux file system.

Do you know if Asus updated the old verion of Transmission used by their DM, if not is there a way I could check?

For the RT-AC86U would an Ext4 file system for attached storage be a better choice as it's running a more recent linux kernel or is it best to stick to Ex3?

I prefer ext2 for flash drives (less write overhead due to the absence of a journal), or ext4 for a hard disk.

Download Master isn't part of the firmware. No idea which Transmission version it uses these days.

@Merlin. Can you explain this change in at least some detail ?

b1923ad odhcp6c: dhcpv6: allow IA_NA mode downgrade with forced IA_PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!