What's new

amtm AMTM doesn't like scMerlin Beta Release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlord

Regular Contributor
Noticed after changing over to the beta release of scMerlin v2.4.1 that amtm alerts that it's not the latest version. Minor for sure, but would be nice if amtm could understand that a later version isn't older and want to try to downgrade to that version. Luckily, when you go into scMerlin and run an update, it will say you are on the latest version.

1690211316108.png

Noticed after changing over to the beta release of scMerlin v2.4.1 that amtm alerts that it's not the latest version. Minor for sure, but would be nice if amtm could understand that a later version isn't older and want to try to downgrade to that version. Luckily, when you go into scMerlin and run an update, it will say you are on the latest version.

View attachment 51914
It simply checks against latest non-beta release. So updating would revert to v2.4.0...

It simply checks against latest non-beta release. So updating would revert to v2.4.0...
I get that but amtm seems to handle AGH beta releases just fine not prompting to revert to the last stable release. I was hoping it would do the same for other software packages. :)

I get that but amtm seems to handle AGH beta releases just fine not prompting to revert to the last stable release. I was hoping it would do the same for other software packages. :)
I brought this to @thelonelycoder 's attention. I forgot what the solution was, but he added away to disable checking for updates on an addon if you wanted to. I just don't recall how. I am sure he will jog my memory shortly, hold tight!

Edit: Never mind I was wrong. The new change only removes checking md5sum if the user doesn't want to check for minor updates.

Note the clever bit of coding in AMTM that reverses the arrow.

@thelonelycoder - Would the update to check for beta versions similar to AGH be in amtm or in scmerlin?

v2.4.0 has issues that were corrected in v2.4.1
Unfortunately, as often happens over time, the original developer (@Jack Yaz in this case) of a script moves on for whatever reason. Someone else takes the initiative to fix a specific issue and makes it available, but it is not fully merged into the baseline by the developer. amtm correctly reports that you have installed a version newer than the official baseline, which IMO is a good thing. Also, you can periodically launch the newer version of the script and manually check for updates (covers the case where subsequent changes are made).

Unfortunately, as often happens over time, the original developer (@Jack Yaz in this case) of a script moves on for whatever reason. Someone else takes the initiative to fix a specific issue and makes it available, but it is not fully merged into the baseline by the developer. amtm correctly reports that you have installed a version newer than the official baseline, which IMO is a good thing. Also, you can periodically launch the newer version of the script and manually check for updates (covers the case where subsequent changes are made).
This is starting to be a problem. The develop version 2.4.1 was last modified 7 months ago and that change is still not merged to the master branch.

This is starting to be a problem. The develop version 2.4.1 was last modified 7 months ago and that change is still not merged to the master branch.
Yes, and uiDivStats has been about two months with the 3.1.0 development branch which is compatible with diversion 5.x. Not sure how you address this...

Last edited:
Yes, and uiDivStats has been about two months with the 3.10 development branch which is compatible with diversion 5.x. Not sure how you address this...
Someone would need to fork, assume control over the code, modify for the new environment/paths, and allow for these new commits to get published so that AMTM can point to these new sources... Who is willing to take one for the team!

Someone would need to fork, assume control over the code, modify for the new environment/paths, and allow for these new commits to get published so that AMTM can point to these new sources... Who is willing to take one for the team!
I am with you on this approach. I would fork uiDivStats, which makes sense.
I plan to integrate the web stats into Diversion anyway with the rewrite of the current stats function. I’m not copy pasting Jacks code, that would be rude.

But for the current unsatisfactory situation, a fork and change in amtm will have to do if we can agree.

Yes, and uiDivStats has been about two months with the 3.1.0 development branch which is compatible with diversion 5.x. Not sure how you address this...
It bothers me. See above reply.

It bothers me. See above reply.
Bothersome as it is, at least someone stepped up in the interim to address issues and compatibility. Noone is getting rich (or getting paid at all, for that matter, other than donations) to generate scripts and code for the benefit of our community.

Bothersome as it is, at least someone stepped up in the interim to address issues and compatibility. Noone is getting rich (or getting paid at all, for that matter, other than donations) to generate scripts and code for the benefit of our community.
OK, I've forked scMerlin and uiDivStats to my GitHub. I'll wait a few days and if nothing happens I will make the necessary path mods to the two scripts and amtm. Credits and Author remains, only paths change. My name will nowhere appear.
@Jack Yaz it would be nice if you would give consent to this step.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!