What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was hoping I could just delete the files on the USB drive, or remove the drive and reformat it in windows then repeat the setup for amtm, etc. Do I really need to go through the whole procedure on the router itself as well? If that's the case I will first try to fix the problems without resetting everything.

Here's my issue:

I uninstalled unbound, and now attempting to re-install. It goes through the download process, etc., then I get this error:

***ERROR INVALID unbound configuration - use option 'vx' to correct 'unbound.conf' or 'rl' to load a valid configuration file

or 'e' exit; then issue debug command

unbound -dv

Last edited:
Please, Please, Please, Please, Please fix your swap drive check code.

I have my own code for setting up the swap file and every time amtm is run it completely buggers it up.

Thanks a lot @L&LD for the great tips - as always indispensable guides.
I’ve done a lot of reading and searching here, but I’m still none the wiser (or more certain I should say) about the ‘upgrade’ scenario - in other words, what to do with amtm/scripts/entware after FW upgrade.

Prerequisities:
- I’ve done a few dirty upgrades recently, mostly running great, currently 384.18. Time has come for 386.2 and because I’m also planning some major changes later, I’m thinking doing it all properly from scratch for a change - with nuclear factory reset, including JFFS format, followed by modified manual initial setup with new settings already included
- I’m currently running amtm/Entware from USB drive with Skynet, nsrum, connmon, spdMerlin and few Entware packages

The plan:
- I’d like to use the same scripts and their respective configs (Skynet config + white/blacklist), but also keep their logs and accumulated statistics (connmon, spdMerlin), so I can merge the historic values with the new ones after upgrade
- I’d also like to keep other stuff that’s stored on the USB like traffic stats, nsrum NVRAM backups, etc.

I appreciate the best way is probably to do a proper USB / swap / amtm setup from scratch as described in the guide and then install and setup all the scripts again.

I have a few questions:

1. If I just remove the USB drive, do a router factory reset, FW upgrade, JFFS format, M&M, initial setup, reboots, etc. and then plug the USB drive again (and reboot), will the router pickup the swap, scripts and their respective settings and logs and carry on running all of them as before?

2. If that is not possible and so I follow the USB/amtm/entware/scripts installation from scratch, is there a way how to easily restore previously backed up settings/logs/etc as above (for example copy the backup of original USB drive over newly created one), so I can restore the original scripts functionality and also ‘join up’ their logs and statistics?

3. Or do I have to manually create configuration for all the scripts again and restart all the data history (logs, statistics) from scratch?

1. No, not entirely. The swap file may be recognized fully, but I wouldn't trust the scripts to work properly.

2. Many scripts offer that option, but each, individually. Check for the scripts you are running on their latest (most current) thread for the details.

Myself, while the history is of some interest, I'd rather make history by having a bullet-proof router/install. :)

1. Safely remove the USB drive from the router.
  2. Save any (or all) files on the USB drive to a safe location (I don't) if you feel you will need them in the future.
  3. Format the USB drive as NTFS on a PC.
  4. Insert the USB drive into the freshly reset and minimally and manually configured router and do a clean install of all scripts required. After using amtm to properly prepare and format the drive for the router's use, of course.
Following the changes and huge leaps the scripts make even between hot-fix versions, I would trust a clean install of the scripts much more than carrying forward an install that is more than likely hugely different when it started than what it is today.

1. No, not entirely. The swap file may be recognized fully, but I wouldn't trust the scripts to work properly.

2. Many scripts offer that option, but each, individually. Check for the scripts you are running on their latest (most current) thread for the details.

Myself, while the history is of some interest, I'd rather make history by having a bullet-proof router/install. :)

1. Safely remove the USB drive from the router.
  2. Save any (or all) files on the USB drive to a safe location (I don't) if you feel you will need them in the future.
  3. Format the USB drive as NTFS on a PC.
  4. Insert the USB drive into the freshly reset and minimally and manually configured router and do a clean install of all scripts required. After using amtm to properly prepare and format the drive for the router's use, of course.
Following the changes and huge leaps the scripts make even between hot-fix versions, I would trust a clean install of the scripts much more than carrying forward an install that is more than likely hugely different when it started than what it is today.
Nah, of course you’re right, what was I thinking

I don’t even know why I’m so reluctant to set some sensible retention policy and just let go of the old stuff. Logs, metrics, the lot. I like statistics too much I guess.

Well, manual upgrade it is. You can’t beat the feeling of a fresh install...

Should I run my SSD in USB3 on the RT-AX86U? They don't have a 2.o port. Is it configurable, or does it matter much?

If the USB drive you're using doesn't cause issues for any of your 2.4GHz clients, use it as is.

Lets say you try these things out and decide you're not interested in using them, what's the best way to "turn it all off"? Just change the "Enable JFFS custom scripts" back off, shut down, pull the usb drive, and start it back up?

I haven't found that to be a good way to 'turn it all off'.

I would perform a full reset at this time. (Many scripts change defaults that you may or may not see or notice).

Something I'm not clear on a dirty flash: Is it better to reboot, then dismount the usb drive and flash firmware, or dismount, reboot, then flash?

When you unmount the USB drive, reboot, then flash, it is the same as not unmounting the USB drive at all.

Some routers are fine with just unmounting (as the post above confirms) then flashing the latest firmware, some routers need a reboot and then an unmount of the USB devices before flashing.

While a few routers need the USB drives unmounted, the router shut down, the USB drives physically removed, then the firmware flashed, then the router shut down again, then the USB drive inserted and the router powered up once more.

With all the scenarios above, the router(s) are always rebooted after at least 15 minutes of letting them stabilize on the new firmware. They rarely, if ever, will need another reboot (until the next firmware upgrade, of course).

witam nie mogę zalogować się do routera. Wprowadzam moje hasło i rzuca mi się źle. Może moje ustawienia są złe. Czy ktoś może pomóc.

Attachments

• 1zle.png
    1zle.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 110
  • zle2.png
    zle2.png
    361.4 KB · Views: 105
  • zle3.png
    zle3.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 98
Sorry, English only please.

When you unmount the USB drive, reboot, then flash, it is the same as not unmounting the USB drive at all.
If the usb is detached after unmounting then it shouldn't be the same, would it? I wasn't sure of the procedure that instructions were indicating. I had my opinion, but that can be wrong. Thanks!

It shouldn't be the same, but I've seen a few routers get into a weird state if they're not physically powered down (pull the power plug from the router, not from the wall) after physically removing the USB drive.

If the usb is detached after unmounting then it shouldn't be the same, would it? I wasn't sure of the procedure that instructions were indicating. I had my opinion, but that can be wrong. Thanks!
For what it's worth, I never physically remove my USB (unless I'm replacing it, re-formatting and starting all over with the scripts, etc.). What I've done every dirty upgrade over many years now with 2 different routers (ac88u, and ax86u) is: use the GUI "Safely Remove Disk" tool (which I assume is synonymous with "Unmount"), flash the new firmware, and when it boots up again I let it set for 5 minutes or so. That routine has yet to fail me... not once in dozens of updates over the years.

witam nie mogę zalogować się do routera. Wprowadzam moje hasło i rzuca mi się źle. Może moje ustawienia są złe. Czy ktoś może pomóc.

L&LD Here's the English translation. Just select the text, right click, the pick the Translate option. Easy peasy.

hello I can not log on to the router. I enter my password and throws me wrong. Maybe my settings are bad. Can anyone help.‎

Doesn't help me help him, nor with the images either.

L&LD Here's the English translation. Just select the text, right click, the pick the Translate option. Easy peasy.

hello I can not log on to the router. I enter my password and throws me wrong. Maybe my settings are bad. Can anyone help.‎
Selecting and right-clicking does nothing here in terms of translation options, but I can copy-and-paste into Google Translate, which is totally cool.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!