What's new

An Observation- 386 Code, AX86U, and WiFi Failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@GHammer, of course, my actions result in a fix. What case are you talking about? :confused:

I don't charge by the hour or by the mile, I charge by the services I provide and the resolution of a problem for my customers. Customers who refer me to the next paying job, BTW.
Been busy a few days.

First, you'll note that I didn't ask for any 'fix', "With no definite cause, no certain method to reproduce, and no logs, I don't really expect to solve this. Just info for others who may suffer from the same symptoms."

Second, I'm not a big believer in starting from scratch every time there is a problem.
I've read many, many posts here where your first question is "Have you factory reset" regardless of the symptons.

I've done break/fix, ran large (~750 devices 30 locations) and small (~10 devices 1 location) networks for a living. While I've been retired for 2 years, I doubt that basic skills and troubleshooting has changed. Your customers may well pay you, I would not.

I removed the AiMesh node from the network a few days ago and have not seen any issue since.
I'll stick with AP mode for the future.

These days, even turning devices on/off may not be enough. For Windows, holding down the Shift Key and then clicking 'Shut down' (and then leaving the device off for a minute or two), is different than just clicking Shut down or hitting the power button. A reboot may be as effective as the Shift Shut down method too, but not in all cases either, depending on what the problem is.
More than once on a PC I've had to remove power from the power supply and reconnect before an issue was cleared. Sometimes even powering off doesn't power everything off, the motherboard is still feeding power to chips. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened on occasion with router hardware as well. I'd at least try unplugging it and hitting the power button to discharge any capacitors and then try again.

I removed the AiMesh node from the network a few days ago and have not seen any issue since.
I'll stick with AP mode for the future.
Just a reminder to fix your signature which still promotes "AiMesh" ;)

As a matter of interest - I run AiMesh between my two RT-AX86U's without problems .... but had similar issues you have had, which were only cleared for me with a FULL "nuclear" reset after flashing Merlin 386.1_2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!