What's new

Another router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hextejas

New Around Here
Maybe a bit unusual so here goes.

I want an inexpensive router with a USB port that I can hang a USB printer off of and be able to access from 3 PCs.

This router will need to be able to link wirelessly to an ATT 4Wire 3801HGV.

I don't know if this is possible but it seems like it should be able to be done.

Also, if possible, I would like to try my hand at DD-WRT or Open WRT so that is also desireable.

:D Oh yeah, does anyone have one for sale ? Cheap ! :D

thanks

Maybe a bit unusual so here goes.

I want an inexpensive router with a USB port that I can hang a USB printer off of and be able to access from 3 PCs.

This router will need to be able to link wirelessly to an ATT 4Wire 3801HGV.

Hmm, well that's not really a router at all then, it's a wireless bridge. The 3801 is acting as a router.

You could just use one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er&name=Network Print Servers&Order=BESTMATCH

Some are wired, some are wireless. The wired ones are cheaper and will work better. Once such a device is connected wired or wirelessly to the 3801 all your LAN devices will be able to connect to it, since your LAN devices are all connected to the 3801 as well and everything should be on the same subnet.

It's hard to find routers that are cheaper than these devices yet have a USB port and can act as a wireless bridge. The good news is, if the router is compatible with DD-WRT or OpenWRT it should be possible to use it as a wireless bridge even if the manufacturer's firmware doesn't support it. My old Linksys WRT54G worked this way...

I carried out a brief search but haven't found a router that meets all these requirements (USB port, cost lower than a print server, wireless bridge mode, DD-WRT support). There could be one out there.

Also wireless bridges are usually more expensive than routers for some reason, but these would work as well. I can't find any that have a USB port for a printer though, and if you're going with a wireless bridge to a separate USB print server you might as well use a wireless print server alone.