What's new

Antenna question for my wireless card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lazimutha

New Around Here
Am looking to replace the antennae for my wireless card as it sucks. But not sure what I should be looking for. I assume the higher the dB, the better, but most of these antenna are for the 2.4GHz range. Does this matter as I really want it to work for the 5GHz range. Sorry for the stupid questions, but couldn't find the answer anywhere. Thanks.

If you want 5 GHz, you must use dual-band antennas. You will need at least 5 dBi antenna gain to see any difference.

Am looking to replace the antennae for my wireless card as it sucks. But not sure what I should be looking for. I assume the higher the dB, the better, but most of these antenna are for the 2.4GHz range. Does this matter as I really want it to work for the 5GHz range. Sorry for the stupid questions, but couldn't find the answer anywhere. Thanks.

Generally not worth the cost/trouble to improve external antennas from the usual 2-3dBi of gain to, say, 6-9dBi - omnidirectional on Horiz. Dual band router makes it more difficult yet.

Another option for a client device, if not a laptop: Buy a WiFi bridge that's 5GHz capable. Connect its ethernet port to your PC.