What's new

Any layperson's guide to setting up FTP server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What cannot you figure out?
What router are you using?
What firmware is that router running?
Do you have a USB hard drive attached to the router?

The process to enable FTP on the router's GUI is straight forward and pretty simple.
[Wireless Router] How to set up Servers Center - FTP Share

If you have a FTP server separate from the router (like a NAS) then one sets up port forwarding in the router.
[Wireless Router][Port Forwarding] FTP Server Setup Guide Scenario 1
[Wireless Router][Port Forwarding] FTP Server Setup Guide Scenario 2
[Wireless Router][Port Forwarding] FTP Server Setup Guide Scenario 3

Note: FTP is generally considered to be an insecure protocol.

Thank you so much. I tried https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1011280/ (the first link you posted) before posting here. Followed all the steps careffully then tried step 11 (using the LAN addeess found in the router GUI) which states
11. To enter to the FTP, please type in ftp://192.168.1.1 (LAN IP address) or ftp://WAN IP address or ftp://DDNS name.asuscomm.com

The following examples use IE11 and FileZilla.

but nothing happened.

I am a neophyte. Have read FTP is insecure. What I am trying to do is to have an IP cam (Reolink) send recordings by FTP to a USB drive connected to the router. The purpose is to have an archive. I realize this is best done with an NVR or NAS but just trying to save some bucks at the moment. Dont have the cam yet. Am just planning. https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003493434/

If that setup, assuming I can get it to work, is insecure than what alternative do you suggest?

11. To enter to the FTP, please type in ftp://192.168.1.1 (LAN IP address) or ftp://WAN IP address or ftp://DDNS name.asuscomm.com
Most browsers do not allow the use of FTP nowadays for security reasons. Use an FTP client like FileZilla, Windows File Explorer or the Windows Command Prompt to test the connection instead.
Code:
C:\Users\Colin>ftp 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
220 Welcome to the FTP service.
200 Always in UTF8 mode.
User (192.168.1.1:(none)): Colin
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp>

If that setup, assuming I can get it to work, is insecure than what alternative do you suggest?
Traditional FTP is insecure because all data including passwords are sent over the network in plain text. So theoretically someone on your LAN could sniff the packets and see your information. Personally I don't care about that as I regard may LAN as "trusted". However I wouldn't use traditional FTP over the internet, I'd use FTPS which is encrypted.

Last edited:

The following examples use IE11 and FileZilla.

but nothing happened.
The following assumes you are using FileZilla on a computer on the same local network as the router. You don't use "ftp://" if using Filezilla. You simply use the local network router IP address. Example FileZilla screen where 192.168.2.1 is the router. If one hasn't created any extra FTP accounts on the router, they would use the router administration login information for the User and Password.
filezilla.jpg

If FileZilla indicates errors, look at the FileZiilla log/connection information to see what exactly the error is.

What do you folks think about using ZeroTier instead of this FTP setup? I have not used it nor do I uderstand it yet. But it seems its more secure.

Based on Google, I bleieve they do. The concept is run Blue Iris for the cams with Zero Tier. Not with BI (never used it yet) but I have used OpenVPN sucessfully in the past. The problem is migrating from DSL (gasp) to T-Mobile Home Internet and OpenVPN does not work with cellular Internet.

Based on Google, I bleieve they do. The concept is run Blue Iris for the cams with Zero Tier. Not with BI (never used it yet) but I have used OpenVPN sucessfully in the past. The problem is migrating from DSL (gasp) to T-Mobile Home Internet and OpenVPN does not work with cellular Internet.
Sorry, I fail to see what that has to do with your cameras sending recordings to the router's USB drive?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!