What's new

Any way to view raw connection log?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
As title says; I'd like to be able to view the raw connections log, the stuff you see on the Connections tab/textbox.

I'd like to be able to add it to a windows program so that it can be filtered, and all manipulated in all the good ways you can do with full blown apps.

Code:
netstat-nat

Code:
netstat-nat
Thanks, sorry but I'm not too skilled at Linux; is there an equivalent Windows app? Also, would that app view all connections through the router itself? I know there are SNMP viewers that show connections on your own machine out there already, but I need to view all connections going to/from all computers on the network. I'd really like a nice, standalone windows app that somehow "hooks" into the connections going through the router, so I can view it all in the standalone app. :)

Thanks, sorry but I'm not too skilled at Linux; is there an equivalent Windows app? Also, would that app view all connections through the router itself? I know there are SNMP viewers that show connections on your own machine out there already, but I need to view all connections going to/from all computers on the network. I'd really like a nice, standalone windows app that somehow "hooks" into the connections going through the router, so I can view it all in the standalone app. :)
Have you ever heard of Putty? Its a windows program that looks into your routers inner workings via SSH. @RMerlin gave you the command to run in an SSH session it works awesome. You could easily copy and paste to a program like Word or some other editor.

What is the "need" you are trying to address? Maybe there's another way of achieving the same outcome.
I'm trying to basically "filter" things as I choose from the "live logs", such as selecting to view only from specific machines and changing to another machine on the fly, amongst other things, rather than just have everything "dumped" out in one long scrolling window.

I'm trying to basically "filter" things as I choose from the "live logs", such as selecting to view only from specific machines and changing to another machine on the fly, amongst other things, rather than just have everything "dumped" out in one long scrolling window.
netstat-nat (which is used to populate the Connections tab) will give you a moment in time list of all the current connections. But if by "live logs" you mean some sort of real-time, constantly updated window of connections then the router doesn't have anything like that. The best you could do is poll netstat-nat every few seconds.

Last edited:
You can use the watch command, however the connection list is so long, you wouldn't be able to get anything useful on your screen.

Code:
watch netstat-nat -n

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!