What's new

Anyone using Ubiquiti UAP with Merlin router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brtravel

Occasional Visitor
My AC56U with Merlin is working wonderfully for me with OpenVPN, UPnP media sharing, and frequently using Download Master. I don't wish to change anything, except, I need more range. Turning the AC56U radios off and running a UAP to a more central location seems like a good and reasonably cheap solution.

I am not an advanced user and don't want to get in over my head. Has anyone added an Ubiquiti Unify AP with their Merlin configured router? Is it a pretty seamless add-on? Do you lose any of the router features?

Thanks!

My experience is almost identical to yours, except I never used 3rd party software for my router, just updated factory firmware.

My only AP is about 100 plus feet in our barn from the property. My setup is just basically as an AP only. Our Ubiquiti is a UniFI AP Outdoor+ 2x2.

My wife did the setup using the Ubiquiti web interface .

It is pretty solid and they have an extremely long range, about 600feet from the barn.
Again my Wife was able to control the range, kept it withing the range of the whole structure and a couple feet out.
The ubiquiti is not routing, just AP, that job is assigned to our ASUS router inside our home.

Our ubiquiti in the barn is connected via a buried LAN cable coming from our house into a 8 port gigabyte switch inside the barn.

That you could use a router with your Ubiquiti? The answer is yes. Just follow the guidelines and hints from the forums for Ubiquiti products. That is what we did.

I haven't finished re- installing again our c-8 tp-link router, because we are busy finishing the final touches to our tornado shelter project.

I hope Merlin replies to your questions.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!