What's new

AP with wired backhaul?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
Hi!!

I am trying to set up an Rt-ax92u as an access point connected to a Zenwifi PRO XT12.

It works fine, but I would like to use wireless backhaul instead of wired.

Both the router and the rt-ax92u have a free 5 Ghz band that I should be able to use. However how do I configure it? Is it possible? Note that I don't want to use AIMesh since the wired connections to 3 other APs work very well.

You can have wired and wireless nodes in AiMesh. Try it.

Thanks for the quick answer!!

Yes but I don't want to use AiMesh. I want to use different Wifi bands on the nodes.

Seems like I can have a router set up as a bridge and then connect another router configured as an AP to the bridge with an Ethernet cable. But this feels like crossing the river for water.....

I have been experimenting with repeater mode and bridge mode. In the repeater mode, I can't use WiFi for the clients. In the repeater mode, all traffic goes through the same wifi band as the clients are using which in effect halves the possible throughput.

Thanks for the quick answer!!

Yes but I don't want to use AiMesh. I want to use different Wifi bands on the nodes.

Seems like I can have a router set up as a bridge and then connect another router configured as an AP to the bridge with an Ethernet cable. But this feels like crossing the river for water.....

I have been experimenting with repeater mode and bridge mode. In the repeater mode, I can't use WiFi for the clients. In the repeater mode, all traffic goes through the same wifi band as the clients are using which in effect halves the possible throughput.

Wired AP/AiMesh node or shared wireless Repeater/AiMesh node.

OE

Access Point uses wired backhaul. There is no option for dedicated wireless backhaul other than wireless AiMesh node.

Access Point uses wired backhaul. There is no option for dedicated wireless backhaul other than wireless AiMesh node.

Even the "tri band" don't let you configure that? Lame.

Probably some way to do it via script.

They should at least let aimesh nodes with a dedicated 5ghz-2 wireless backhaul run a different channel (from the main node) on the client facing 5ghz. But I'm assuming that's not the case.

In reality, running the same channel as long as the nodes are far enough apart is probably still far better than running in repeater mode though.

Yes. A free third band on both but it still doesn't work. Different SSIDs. However maybe I should change the channels used so that I try with the 5-2 Ghz as backhaul instead of 5-1. I'll try when possible.

They should at least let aimesh nodes with a dedicated 5ghz-2 wireless backhaul run a different channel (from the main node) on the client facing 5ghz. But I'm assuming that's not the case.

In AiMesh mode only. Not in Repeater mode.

In AiMesh mode only. Not in Repeater mode.

In that case, aimesh should work for the OP. Unless the client facing 5ghz uses the same channel as the main router 5ghz (still probably better than repeater).

Yes. A free third band on both but it still doesn't work. Different SSIDs. However maybe I should change the channels used so that I try with the 5-2 Ghz as backhaul instead of 5-1. I'll try when possible.

In repeater mode it is just going to repeat whatever bands you tell it to (and cut the throughput in half). On 5ghz, half throughput isn't that bad though.

Try with aimesh and see if it lets you choose a different channel for main 5ghz, 5ghz backhaul, and node 5ghz. Even if it forces the same channel for node 5ghz, throughput will still likely be higher than repeater mode (or it may be exactly the same since your client device may be the limiting factor in that case).

Thanks again for quick answers. Really appreciated :)

Note that it is in AP mode, not repeater mode. I would like to be able to use wireless backhaul so that I can select different channels for the nodes and also reduce the transmit power on one of them. If it doesn't work I will keep the ethernet cable and the AP.

I just don't understand why it only works in AiMesh mode. Maybe ASUS has too many versions of the FW for too many routers and don't have time to update all of them....

Thanks again for quick answers. Really appreciated :)

Note that it is in AP mode, not repeater mode. I would like to be able to use wireless backhaul so that I can select different channels for the nodes and also reduce the transmit power on one of them. If it doesn't work I will keep the ethernet cable and the AP.

I just don't understand why it only works in AiMesh mode. Maybe ASUS has too many versions of the FW for too many routers and don't have time to update all of them....

There is no wireless backhaul AP mode without aimesh, hence saying repeater mode since that's your only option. Probably because that would require them to create a setup that is a combination of AP and media bridge effectively. No reason they can't do it but they are focusing on mesh to be competitive. If you have the option to keep it wired, that is by far preferred over wifi backhaul anyway.

I just don't understand why it only works in AiMesh mode.

Perhaps because the function you need is already available in form of wireless AiMesh node with dedicated wireless backhaul in 3-radio routers. The limitation - works with AiMesh compatible 3-radio Asus routers only. What you need requires interface bridging not available in Asuswrt settings. Another similar feature not available in Asuswrt is Wireless ISP or WISP - one radio used as WAN and other(s) as WLAN. DD-WRT and FreshTomato can do it, but your router is limited to single 3rd party firmware - Asuswrt-Merlin fork. RT-AX92U is also End-Of-Life router now with no support from Asus.

OK interesting. Thank you! Learnht something new.

I know the RT-AX92U is end-of-life. Got it for a good price second hand to use as an AP which works fine. It is a 3-radio and AiMesh compatible router though. I tried to connect it to my XT12 which is also 3-radio using the highest band as backhaul - but no luck.

I just don't get all the fuzz about mesh - seems to me there are more limitations than advantages - maybe with this exception. I'll use the ethernet cable, more stable and faster - I just wanted to see if it was possible to use wireless backhaul as well.

I just don't get all the fuzz about mesh

Sales. Keyword. With few exceptions most home "mesh" systems are no different than router + repeater.

OK interesting. Thank you! Learnht something new.

I know the RT-AX92U is end-of-life. Got it for a good price second hand to use as an AP which works fine. It is a 3-radio and AiMesh compatible router though. I tried to connect it to my XT12 which is also 3-radio using the highest band as backhaul - but no luck.

I just don't get all the fuzz about mesh - seems to me there are more limitations than advantages - maybe with this exception. I'll use the ethernet cable, more stable and faster - I just wanted to see if it was possible to use wireless backhaul as well.

Mesh - for people with little knowledge that hope to get better coverage. In some cases it works better (but never without glitches) in others it causes more problems than it solves.

Router with separate APs - for those with more knowledge that want to set up something that functions much better.

That being said, if and when they ever finally have a wifi 7 mesh system with MLO or other true seamless roaming implemented (and everyone has client devices that also support it) the potential for a "set it and forget it" system that works well is there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!