What's new

Apple devices (iPhone/iPad) hang on 5G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Djurre Swets Pieters

New Around Here
Since a few week my house its iPhones and iPads had an issue looking at movies and scrolling through Facebook.
Every now and then the session hung for about 15 seconds or longer.
Disconnecting from Wifi and reconnecting activated my session again on the device.
Never had this issue on 4G and prevoius firmwares (not sure when it all started)

I started searching in my Wifi settings what might cause the issue, and to start with I disabeled the 160MHz setting in 5G.
Bingo, since this resolved the issue.

My infra: 3x RT-AX58u running ASUS WRT-Merling 388-1 and older in Mesh config and no specific settings changed.

Anyone else had this issue?
Or can anyone explain why disabeleing the 160MHz resolved my issue?

Since a few week my house its iPhones and iPads had an issue looking at movies and scrolling through Facebook.
Every now and then the session hung for about 15 seconds or longer.
Disconnecting from Wifi and reconnecting activated my session again on the device.
Never had this issue on 4G and prevoius firmwares (not sure when it all started)

I started searching in my Wifi settings what might cause the issue, and to start with I disabeled the 160MHz setting in 5G.
Bingo, since this resolved the issue.

My infra: 3x RT-AX58u running ASUS WRT-Merling 388-1 and older in Mesh config and no specific settings changed.

Anyone else had this issue?
Or can anyone explain why disabeleing the 160MHz resolved my issue?
160 MHz can sometimes be problematic. Especially if you force 160 MHz. Most places 160 MHz uses DFS channels and if RADAR is detected the 5 GHz will shut off. I do have my 5 GHz set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz and auto channel. DFS is disabled. None of my Apple products hang. The router uses 80 MHz most of the time until a 160 MHz capable client goes active then it switches to 160 MHz. I also use Dual Band SmartConnect successfully.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!