What's new

Blocking Unknown Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kittyhawk

New Around Here
RT-AX86U w/current firmware.. I have set up devices with specific address (198.168.100.xx, etc.). How can i block all other devices from accessing my home network.

RT-AX86U w/current firmware.. I have set up devices with specific address (198.168.100.xx, etc.). How can i block all other devices from accessing my home network.

Lock up your hardware and change your WLAN credentials.

OE

If you don't allow hooking up ethernet cables to your network, don't have an "open" wireless network broadcasting, don't hand out the password to your "locked" wireless network, and don't have compromised computers / devices in your home you should be good to go as far as your internal network is concerned.

What specifically are you trying to prevent?

I want to block devices (via wireless) that are not assigned via the DHCP setting on the router. Apple Computer has a setting under Wi-Fi called Private W-Fi Address which sets a non assigned DCHP address on the device. This device can then access the web thru the router.It also allows Parental Controls to be bypassed. I am looking for a way to block these Apple Private W-Fi addresses and any address not assigned via DCHP.
Thanks...

Apple Computer has a setting under Wi-Fi called Private W-Fi Address which sets a non assigned DCHP address on the device.
"Connect to Wi-Fi networks like you normally do. A private Wi-Fi address doesn't affect how you join or use most Wi-Fi networks."

So, I think the device will still use DHCP. I don't know how the device would know what IP's are not DHCP and are available. Private means a different MAC address, if that matters with your parental controls.

Last edited:
Well, one could always turn off the random MAC feature for the network connection, on the devices wanted on the network, then whitelist them that way and block everything else, I'd think. If an imaginative otherwise-regulated party attempted to do some circumvention it would avail them a completely negative experience.

I want to block devices (via wireless) that are not assigned via the DHCP setting on the router.

You can allow only specific MAC addresses:

1703375937816.png

Apple Computer has a setting under Wi-Fi called Private W-Fi Address which sets a non assigned DCHP address on the device. This device can then access the web thru the router.It also allows Parental Controls to be bypassed.
If you (or your kids?) enable that feature on a family device, is that really an unknown device?

Is blocking devices the real goal, or preventing kids from bypassing parental controls?

Pretty sure if you want to change that phone feature/setting nowadays, you'll /dis/able it. Every case I've lately seen at any rate, default is "random" MAC on wifi.