What's new

Aquantia AQC10x firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLostSwede

Very Senior Member
Aquantia has a new firmware update out for the AQC100, AQC108, AQC107 and AQN100, AQN108, AQN107
https://www.aquantia.com/support/driver-download/

The firmware version is 3.1.81, but there are no release notes for the firmware itself, only the update tool. I updated from 1.5.12, so it was seemingly a huge update in version number if nothing else. There seems to be a firmware file for the AQC111 included as well.
Command line based update for Windows, but very easy to use. It's strange they don't have a Linux updater, as now I have to swap hardware around to update my NAS.

Is it safe to install this firmware to an ASUS XG-C100C? might it brick the adapter?

Is it safe to install this firmware to an ASUS XG-C100C? might it brick the adapter?

Worked fine on my Aquantia made card, can't speak for the Asus hardware, but it should be for all their hardware, so I can't see why it should brick the card.

Gave it a try. Doesn't detect the adapter as a Aquantia.

Shame. I was hoping to fix a number of issues the ASUS product has as ASUS seems to have abandoned this product.

thanks

Shame. I was hoping to fix a number of issues the ASUS product has as ASUS seems to have abandoned this product.

thanks

Maybe worth contact Asus' support to see if they have a solution?
I had major issues early on with my Aquantia cards as well, but they sent a firmware update (which was a lot more complex to install) which solved it. Not sure what these new updates contain, as they haven't included any release notes...

Sadly, ASUS Australia's support is non-existent. I've already tried the tech support channel and customer service channels. I've also escalated to our office of fair trading, which also wasn't interested in Assisting. ASUS doesn't appear to support ANY of their products in Australia. So far, all warranties have been unenforceable.

When I did create a support ticket, they fobbed me off with a "Sounds like a faulty card. take it back to retailer". Of course, 4 weeks later a replacement card arrived that had the same issues ... Of course ... the card wasn't faulty in the first place. Seems to be firmware or drivers.

Anyway, I'm off topic. Let's leave it there.

thanks

Did it generate a log file? It would be in a "logs" directory in the updater folder. If so, try sending the ".ETL" file to the Aquantia support e-mail at the end of the readme.txt and explain your situation. They may be able to help.

thanks
I successfully flashed ASUS XG-C100C to 3.1.84. Too bad it does not work in macOS and neither does it support WOL.

Note that there's a new version 3.1.84 posted. This fixed a problem with 3.1.81 bricking my OWC Thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE Adapter.

I just updated my OWC adapter to 3.1.88 and it got bricked. Can you upload 3.1.84 firmware if you still have it, I can't find it anywhere on the net.

I just updated my OWC adapter to 3.1.88 and it got bricked. Can you upload 3.1.84 firmware if you still have it, I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Made the mistake of flashing 88 and it re-bricked my OWC.

There is a way to re-flash the backup using the DIAG.EXE from the Dell firmware from a while back. I'll have to play around with it later today.

edit: that method no longer works. Need to wait on Aquantia. :(

edit #2: Turns out DIAG.EXE will still work if you turn off Win 10's driver signing. I was able to flash back to 84. If you're comfortable turning off driver signing and playing with the command line, I can get you the files and instructions, provided you have the backup file from your logs directory.

Last edited:

There is a way to re-flash the backup using the DIAG.EXE from the Dell firmware from a while back. I'll have to play around with it later today.

edit #2: Turns out DIAG.EXE will still work if you turn off Win 10's driver signing. I was able to flash back to 84. If you're comfortable turning off driver signing and playing with the command line, I can get you the files and instructions, provided you have the backup file from your logs directory.

Yes, I have backup backup file. Can you send me instructions and any files required. Thanks

I have downloaded DIAG.EXE and restored my original bin file and after that updated to 84 firmware that you have sent me. My OWC is BACK!! Thanks a lot.

Looks like Aquantia needs to have a look at this, since their firmware should 1. work on all hardware and 2. not brick products.
In my past experience, Aquantia has had first rate support though. I had major issues with my Ryzen system and their cards when it was all brand new and they made a new firmware for me just to make the cards work properly on Ryzen. Obviously it wasn't just for me, but based on my issues and it only took them a couple of weeks to do, which I think was impressive. Most companies simply don't care. I also ended up ordering their low-profile cards, due to a mixup by a third party site that linked to a Black Friday deal and Aquantia sent me full-height brackets for free.

Did it generate a log file? It would be in a "logs" directory in the updater folder. If so, try sending the ".ETL" file to the Aquantia support e-mail at the end of the readme.txt and explain your situation. They may be able to help.

I solved the problem by buying the genuine AQN-107 adapters, which flash fine.

I can see that they released 89 firmware, I am not having any fate in Aquantia after my 88 fiasco and not taking any chances. What particularly troublesome is that company provides firmware upgrade tool that doesn't provide any rollback/downgrade/restore ability in case of bad firmware release.

I can see that they released 89 firmware, I am not having any fate in Aquantia after my 88 fiasco and not taking any chances. What particularly troublesome is that company provides firmware upgrade tool that doesn't provide any rollback/downgrade/restore ability in case of bad firmware release.

Thanks for the heads up, seems to be working just fine with my cards.

I bricked my aquantia aqc111c 5g lan with 88 firmware can anybody help me and send me the files or manual what i must do please and thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!