What's new

Asus AC3100 - OpenVPN - Disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matt84

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. i am looking for some input... I have two Synology NAS, one at my home, one at my in-laws. The one at home each night, sync's to the NAS at my in-laws. Once in a blue moon, there will be a blip and the VPN will go down and then reconnect (configured on the NAS to reconnect on disconnect). This is where the issue begins... The AC3100 doesn't seem to pick up right away that the VPN connection has dropped and will show that the NAS is connected for a few minutes even after its not so the NAS will attempt to reconnect then within 10 to 40 seconds it will disconnect. Its just a constant loop. I do not even notice it until the sync fails. I gave PRTG monitor setup but the connection comes up long enough that it doesn't always alert me that its down. I added "--duplicate-cn" to the custom config on the server which helped in one way but then I run into the issue that instead of getting a IP that I have set as static for the NAS (Using allowed clients with a specific subnet and mask) the NAS gets another IP and then I get a down notification. I tried setting up DNS but I couldn't get the NAS to register with my internal DNS across the VPN. So now... I babbling and am wondering if anyone has any insights or any way to make the router realize that the connection has dropped and to update that on its side faster or any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.