What's new

ASUS AC87U - Hangs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ArronF

New Around Here
I am unable to reproduce this error but it happens too often for it to be ignored and causes me to manually reboot

Randomly the router will just hang, all internet devices will lose access. I am unable to SSH in or connect through the webGUI and I have to reboot the router to do anything further I have 2.4ghz, 5ghz and wired connections

I have noticed the 5GHZ light just flashing on and off as though it is indicating a problem while the other lights seem to be on at this stage I have to reboot to gain any access

I am now disabling the forbeaming to see if this makes a difference on both 2.4ghz and 5Ghz.

I am happy to try things but have no idea where to look, log files do not really indicate anything other than seeing the following at certain points
Jul 23 13:16:25 kernel: pch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/n

I have saw in other threads some people say this could be due to temperature while others have no problems at all, does this constant flashing light indicate anything?

I have the AC87U running the latest FW and am getting loads of that message too in my logs. No disconnects though and I doubt that message has anything to do with overheating because I am running active cooling on mine.

Did you turn any settings on/off in particular ?

Here are my WIFI settings, both for 5 and 2.4 GHZ. Most of the settings are based on what I've read in different threads. I'm not that skilled with what goes on behind the curtains so I can't really say I have any detailed technical elabourations motivating them but I can say that my router is working well. On top of the WIFI settings I have until recently been running it with HW acceleration enabled both via FA and CTF. That required to turn off a lot of functionality (QoS among other things) and since Merlin said FA isn't really necessary unless you have Gbit WAN I am now experimenting with QoS enabled (= only CTF).

And also, I have a cron job rebooting my router at 05:00 every morning. If you want to read more about that you can check this thread. If you need the exact steps, only requireing some focus and two fingers for copy/paste, let me know and I'll paste them here.

One wired NAS, one wired HTPC/server and about 7 devices running either 2.4 or 5 GHZ and I'm extremely satisfied. I actually got this router after RMA:ing the AC66u and I'm really happy I did that.

I am unable to reproduce this error but it happens too often for it to be ignored and causes me to manually reboot

And also, I have a cron job rebooting my router at 05:00 every morning. If you want to read more about that you can check this thread. If you need the exact steps, only requireing some focus and two fingers for copy/paste, let me know and I'll paste them here.

One wired NAS, one wired HTPC/server and about 7 devices running either 2.4 or 5 GHZ and I'm extremely satisfied. I actually got this router after RMA:ing the AC66u and I'm really happy I did that.

Hi,
I have had that router hang thing in the past, as for the error I don't recall at the moment either way.
You did not specify any firmware you are using?
How long has the router been on before it locks up?
You should put a laptop cooler under this 87 router, my first one overheated and went bad.
This is what I use and it is now cheaper than what I paid
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWJIEV2/?tag=snbforums-20

People are going to call me crazy and that is ok (I am certainly used to it on this forum by now), but I have spent a lot of time on this router and below is the only way my router will work properly (or as good as firmware is), if you want to try it here it is my madness method of getting mine to work with beam forming and any other glitch I had before is also gone. It has worked for the past 3 betas now for me.

Download this latest beta
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/95343709-post4070.html

This is the way I have to flash or 5GHz beam forming will fail within 2 hours (if flashed normally or any other way) and who knows what else does not work right, it might be something for others to try if they can't get things to work. I can not keep beam forming on the 5GHz band working for 24 hours without a reboot of the router, so on the 5GHz band keep beam forming off for now, unless you don't mind rebooting the router around the 18-24 hour mark.

1. Download latest flash (this case 7411).

2. Flash 7411 through the web GUI, (Wait ~3 minutes or more for 2.4GHz and 5GHz light to light up).

3. Put RT-AC87U in the recovery mode by following these steps:
- turn off the router
- While pressing the "WPS" button at back; turn on the router and keep holding this button for 5 seconds after the router is on and then leave it.
- Quickly press the "RESET" button at back and keep pressing till the power blue led starting blinking slowly.

4. You may not need this step. Change your LAN or WiFi adapter in Windows to a static IP 192.168.1.2 and Gateway 192.168.1.1 if not identified.

5. Go to your browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 (unless you change it)

6. You should be in the recovery firmware page.
- Press the clear (or reset, I forgot what it says) Nvram button like 5 times giving 10 seconds in-between
- Browse the firmware you downloaded (7411) and press upload button.

7. You should wait and do not turn the router off till it restarts itself automatically. The page could looks hanged but it take a minute or less to finish the upload and then wait till the page says "Firmware update is successful completed". There is a percentage level bar at bottom-left of the web page. (Wait ~3 minutes or more for 2.4GHz and 5GHz light to light up)

8. Skip the setup menu (as best as you can)

9. Flash AGAIN 7411 through the web GUI, (Wait ~3 minutes or more for 2.4GHz and 5GHz light to light up).

10.Skip the setup menu (as best as you can).

11.Reset to factory defaults in the web GUI (Wait ~3 minutes or more for 2.4GHz and 5GHz light to light up).

12.Configure from scratch (like a new unit)

Please let me know if this helped you, I am curious.
Thank You, Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Have you checke temperature readings?

Randomly the router will just hang, all internet devices will lose access. I am unable to SSH in or connect through the webGUI and I have to reboot the router to do anything further I have 2.4ghz, 5ghz and wired connections

I have noticed the 5GHZ light just flashing on and off as though it is indicating a problem while the other lights seem to be on at this stage I have to reboot to gain any access

I am now disabling the forbeaming to see if this makes a difference on both 2.4ghz and 5Ghz.

I am happy to try things but have no idea where to look, log files do not really indicate anything other than seeing the following at certain points
Jul 23 13:16:25 kernel: pch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/n

I have saw in other threads some people say this could be due to temperature while others have no problems at all, does this constant flashing light indicate anything?

What's temperature readings when router is running? Some router is more sensitive to temperature between same
models.

I am using the 378.55 firmware (latest stable I presume)
Usually it runs at 80 degrees I have yet to see it go higher than this

I dont think I have gone past 48 hours as of yet but fingers crossed I am at 17 hours. Currently I have turned off the beamforming and I have moved the router so it has more air underneath (last time it was on books) even though I have not noticed any CPU increase from the default 80 degrees I will keep you updated.

I am hoping for something useful in the log files but not seeing anything which is relevant at the time. I see these now and again

Jul 23 16:00:20 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...

Ok after 22 hours of uptime just started surfing the internet and router just went... all lights on the front displayed but unable to access router through webGUI or SSH and had to manually reboot again. I am at the point of flashing stock firmware which I do not want to do but I am unable to locate the error

Last in the log file was

Jul 24 12:57:59 kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch
Jul 24 12:58:04 kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch

I have been using the internet 2 hours since then but see nothing more in the logs which seems strange. I have decided to get a replacement as it just seems to be odd behaviour atm

Just an update, did nothing to the router other than surf the internet and I left SSH open and within about 1 hour it just died on me again... again all lights showing, SSH completely disconnected lost all connectivity from all devices then had to reboot again.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of general Internet slowness over wifi on my 87u. So much so that's it's very noticeable. I also VPN into my work and I get random disconnects about 10 times a day. Pathetic for the price of this thing. I've tried different versions of stock and Merlin. I'm so frustrated with it at this point I re-setup my R7000 just running stock firmware to ease my nerves. I'm continuing to monitor firmware releases and this forum for a truly working release. Keeping my fingers crossed.