What's new

Asus Airmesh - How to manage Node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamelie1706

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Original setup was very quick and work for most of it great. Now I need to fine tune my network.

The Airmesh setup:
- Main router : Asus AC2900 (AC86U) / 3.0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868
- Node 1: Asus RT-AC1900U / 3.0.0.4.385_10000-gd8ccd3c
- Node 2: Asus RT-AC66U_B1 / 3.0.0.4.385_10000-gd8ccd3c

router.asus.com drives me to the router interface. Unless I missed soemthing the only thing I can manage there is the firmware upgrade for the nodes.

I would like to set some nodes specific rules:
- usage of USB port for NAS (possible with a node?)
- enable/disable ethernet port of a node
- set activity timing for the node

How to do that?

Thx

Hi,

Original setup was very quick and work for most of it great. Now I need to fine tune my network.

The Airmesh setup:
- Main router : Asus AC2900 (AC86U) / 3.0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868
- Node 1: Asus RT-AC1900U / 3.0.0.4.385_10000-gd8ccd3c
- Node 2: Asus RT-AC66U_B1 / 3.0.0.4.385_10000-gd8ccd3c

router.asus.com drives me to the router interface. Unless I missed soemthing the only thing I can manage there is the firmware upgrade for the nodes.

I would like to set some nodes specific rules:
- usage of USB port for NAS (possible with a node?)
- enable/disable ethernet port of a node
- set activity timing for the node

How to do that?

Thx

AiMesh does not afford this control over nodes. Some users SSH into nodes to apply certain commands, but this is not normal usage.

Given nodes are APs managed by the router/root node, their USB facility may not be usable... I have not heard of this being accomplished yet.

OE

@OzarkEdge, I don't mean to contradict you, but I think I do remember a post or two where a USB drive was attached to an AiMesh Node?

@OzarkEdge, I don't mean to contradict you, but I think I do remember a post or two where a USB drive was attached to an AiMesh Node?

OK, I am not sure. Although I can't envision how the router webUI would setup/manage local and remote USB devices.

OE

I would guess that if the USB drive contents (folders and permissions) are already in place, then it could be accessible when attached to a node as just another network resource. If so, this adds to the quirkiness of using router-based USB storage, imo. Perhaps tolerable in the short term, but I agree with the general sentiment of moving to a proper NAS solution sooner than later.

OE

Clear for the usb, thx

What about timing control and disabling Ethernet ports? This could be useful at node level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with merlin?
While I do understand the comlexity/incompatibiliy that could be for an AP to act as a NAS, I do not see the challenge to have timing or ethernet port disable (=repeater mode).

Even with merlin?
While I do understand the comlexity/incompatibiliy that could be for an AP to act as a NAS, I do not see the challenge to have timing or ethernet port disable (=repeater mode).
That is not an ability that Asus routers have (even with Merlin). It doesn't matter whether it's AiMesh, repeater, or just in router mode, Asus does not have that function.

Arghhh ... I was thinking it was possible using the "parental control" as every node/ap has its own IP and MAC ... but no.
Well maybe I am asking too much (or not using ssh and custom script ... still not giving up :-D ). Anyway I find the the ASUS firmware way superior than TP-Link and the other Mesh solution too much restrictive!

Thank you ASUS for having your firmware open source! It teminds me the Buffalo time with embedded DD-WRT :-D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!