What's new

Asus AX89X still worth?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sparxxx

Regular Contributor
Hi guys

I am looking for a router with SFP+ port for my 10g fiber connection and another 10g LAN port for my internal switches (also 10g).
Would the AX89X still be a good buy now? It seems to tick all the boxes but it's already 2 years old.
Don't care much about wireless since I will be using some access points.
I found one for 250$ (used) which is revision B1.

Are there any other routers out there which have SFP+ for WAN and at least 1x 10g LAN? with or without wifi.

Thanks.

For $250, I am not sure you will find a more capable device that appears to fit your specifications. It does have a Qualcomm CPU, which Merlin does not support. I am using an AX89X in the same manner you describe, and it works flawlessly.

Thanks. To be honest I don't really care about custom firmware. I just need a capable and rock solid 10g router with sfp+.
Do you think there will be a successor to the AX89X from Asus soon?

The other option is a QNAP Qhora-301W but it doesn't have SFP+. It has 2 x10g LAN/WAN but I would like to avoid using a media converter (they tend to get really hot).

I am using mine like you plan to use yours, since 4month.
I had mine for 390€, and i am very happy with.

I've had the 89X for about a year now. I would buy another one given what is out there right now. My observation has been the age of the device has allowed for firmware kinks to to be worked out. For me, the current version works as I need it without any noticeable bugs.

If you want Asus router, this model only fits your requirements. No choice, it is what it is.

I am looking for a router with SFP+ port for my 10g fiber connection and another 10g LAN port for my internal switches (also 10g).
Would the AX89X still be a good buy now? It seems to tick all the boxes but it's already 2 years old.
Still a great router! I'm sticking with mine. As others have said, the firmware is mature enough now where there are usually no problems.
I found one for 250$ (used) which is revision B1.
That appears to be a great deal!
Are there any other routers out there which have SFP+ for WAN and at least 1x 10g LAN? with or without wifi.
The only thing close is the UniFi Dream Machine SE but both of its 10g ports are SFP+ and I don't think you'd find one for $250.

Thanks guys. I might pull the trigger on the AX89X and remove those hideous antennas since I don't need wifi from it :).
@Tech9: you are right. seems to be the only Asus router with what I need. I was just wondering if Asus might release a newer version of this type of router (SFP+ and 10G LAN, or even 2x SFP+)

@Starrbuck: the UDM SE was a choice but it's to big and for sure the fans are loud. Money is not a problem. I could even go to 1000$ but than I could build my own pFsense or OpenWRT box.

or even 2x SFP+

If pfSense doesn't scare you and money is not a problem - Netgate 6100. I have 3x units in my business.

You can have 10GbE WAN-LAN throughput only with AX89X in minimal configuration. Anything traffic related enabled in GUI and the performance drops down, all the way under Gigabit depending on what's enabled. You have 10GbE ports, but not really adequate hardware for 10GbE traffic. In Netgate 6100 I have adequate hardware for 2.5GbE. For 10GbE in more fancy configuration you need Core i7 CPU. Don't expect too much from AX89X.

If pfSense doesn't scare you and money is not a problem - Netgate 6100. I have 3x units in my business.

You can have 10GbE WAN-LAN throughput only with AX89X in minimal configuration. Anything traffic related enabled in GUI and the performance drops down, all the way under Gigabit depending on what's enabled. You have 10GbE ports, but not really adequate hardware for 10GbE traffic. In Netgate 6100 I have adequate hardware for 2.5GbE. For 10GbE in more fancy configuration you need Core i7 CPU. Don't expect too much from AX89X.
I wouldn't be that pessimistic. I think you can easly achieve 6-7gbps on wan (probably without QoS active).
Netgate 6100 is a nice box... pfSense scares me a little as I have no experience with it but neither did I had with EdgeOS when I got my Edgerouter :). I can learn it...
Still... 3 times the price for basicly the same functionality (for my basic needs).

As of know I have a borrowed QNAP Qhora-301W and it's pretty nice! I get 8gbps out of it (WAN). A lot of fancy stuff you can do with it like VLAN, virtual APs etc. To bad it doesn't have an SFP+ port... just 2x 10gbps

Many people do and AiProtection is one of the main selling features. You can try for $250, but again - don't expect much. Consumer router is not the right gear for proper 10GbE network. It's a cheap option and the performance is conditional.

Yeah, I might try it for 250$ but only if I can figure out how to unscrew those antenas. Otherwise I'll skip on it. Might look at

- you are going to waste $250 on an experiment - no returns on used, I guess
- you are going to destroy the router - the antennas design is part of the housing

:)

You have to look for such product of build one. It won't be cheap. Your requirements are too high for consumer products.